User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with a a toy Hauler selection.

Hello all, looking for some input into what I can tow safely with my 21’ 3500HD diesel SRW. Looking for a grand design toy hauler with an east west bed set up that would be able to tow. These pin weights are really interesting when you look them up. For example the 395MS has a pin weight of 400 pounds less than other toy hauler a I have looked at with tandem axles. I switched my thinking to get a tandem axle thinking it would be safer with weights but am finding so many with higher pin weights. My last unit was a mid bunk Montana that pulled very nicely (2 axle) but had a higher pin weight than the 395MS I’m looking at. For context I’m driving a crew cab regular bed. I believe my payload is 4100lbs.
    2021 GMC 3500HD
    2021 Montana High Country 385BR
    2018 GMC 2500 HD (Traded in)
    2019 GD312BHTS (written off by fallen tree RIP)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would start by weighing your truck fully loaded for camping with people and gear and subtract the weight from the GVWR and see what the real world payload is. After that you can look at advertised pin weights and add between 400 - 600 lbs to give you a more realistic idea or ask people with a model you like what they are seeing for loaded pin weights. Don't forgot to account for hitch weight. Imm assuming you're looking at the 5th wheels, or are you open to the Momentum TT?
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be a 5th wheel and I’ll be running a goose box again. I’m just very surprised that these 2 axle units are showing higher pin weights than the 395. Tells me GD might be under rating those numbers a bit.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Goosebox will eliminate the hitch weight, but still adds at least 100lbs to the pin weight, if not more. I don't know the exact weight difference, but a Goosebox is definitely much heavier than a stock pin box.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t understand what you don’t understand

Why wouldn’t a tri axle have “less” pin weight?

More weight carried by axles and not the pin

Or am I mistaken about what your post is about?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Specifically speaking about the 395 versus other TH from different manufacturers. Other brands of similar units are at least 500lbs more. I guess I’m wondering if I can get away with the 395 is loaded properly and not bringing the kitchen sink with me.

To me this units appears to be too much for my tow rig. Although I’ve seen it a few times being pulled by SRW but ppl can do what they wish with their set ups.
    Last edited by Chad1383; 03-05-2023 at 09:40 AM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad1383 View Post
    Specifically speaking about the 395 versus other TH from different manufacturers. Other brands of similar units are at least 500lbs more. I guess I’m wondering if I can get away with the 395 is loaded properly and not bringing the kitchen sink with me.
    If it fits within the payload capacity of your truck it should work but “safely” is based on many things other than weights and capacity

Go weigh your truck and see what payload you have left. Until then it is all just a guess
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure gonna do that. There is also the idea of moving more to the centre (kitchen) and garage area to save on pin weight. Gonna have a golf cart but I doubt that will take any weight off the front. And obv don’t want to have to much behind the axles.

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me this units appears to be too much for my tow rig. Although I’ve seen it a few times being pulled by SRW but ppl can do what they wish with their set ups.
    For sure gonna do that. There is also the idea of moving more to the centre (kitchen) and garage area to save on pin weight. Gonna have a golf cart but I doubt that will take any weight off the front. And obv don’t want to have to much behind the axles.
    I would most certainly NOT pull the 395 with any SRW. The length alone would push towards DRW, and while the 395 has very little dry on weight due to length of trailer behind the axles (mine was sub 3000 lbs dry), once you load up fresh water, Grey, and front black tank you will easily creep into the mid to upper 3k lbs range. So payload wise, it will be close to, if not exceed, your SRW. FWIW, there were times my 450 seemed inadequate in payload with a fully loaded 395. I was over 4000 lbs often enough and on the relief springs on the truck frequently.

I don't know if I'd be comfortable pulling any of the GD toyhaulers with a SRW truck, except maybe the bumper pulls.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    I would most certainly NOT pull the 395 with any SRW. The length alone would push towards DRW, and while the 395 has very little dry on weight due to length of trailer behind the axles (mine was sub 3000 lbs dry), once you load up fresh water, Grey, and front black tank you will easily creep into the mid to upper 3k lbs range. So payload wise, it will be close to, if not exceed, your SRW. FWIW, there were times my 450 seemed inadequate in payload with a fully loaded 395. I was over 4000 lbs often enough and on the relief springs on the truck frequently.

I don't know if I'd be comfortable pulling any of the GD toyhaulers with a SRW truck, except maybe the bumper pulls.
    That was kind of my thinking when I made this post. I’m finding it very difficult to find any grand design toy haulers that scream SRW maybe this is the case for all manufactures but I’m just finding an incredibly difficult to find something that seems like it is adequate for a 1 ton SRW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast