User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Socal on this.
    Did it in '19 from upstate NY. You shouldn't have any problems as long as you are aware that the roads are not equivalent to those in the lower 48 and you travel accordingly. 13,000 miles and other than a cracked window we had no problems with our truck or trailer. We carried 10 gallons of water and an xtra propane tank in the truck but never used them.
    We traveled with no reservations other than 10 days at Denali and found that sites 10 miles out of town were generally more spacious and easier to find and avoided the gravel parking lots found in towns.
    Pulling a TT we were outnumbered by class C's but if we wanted to run into town for a loaf of bread we would just hop in the truck and go, though we rarely unhooked for overnights.
    We had no problems finding water & dump stations or fuel. But fill your tank whenever you get a chance as that next fuel station 230 miles ahead may be "closed for theseason".
    Take your time & smell the coffee!
    Norb
    Upstate NY
    2020 Imagine 2800BH
    2013 Keystone Bullet 23BHS
    2015 Sportcraft AR-ONE 25BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did it 20 years ago (will next year) and didn't have any road issues, including on the "Top of the World"

Frost heaves are nasty above 25mph, and construction happens everywhere. There are places you can get into trouble so pay attention to current conditions and enjoy the ride.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AK 2024, baby! Maybe we'll see you on the road!

Milepost is a fun read. RVLife Trip Wizard has been fun to use for planning our routes and places we want to be sure to hit. Will be installing a 60 gallon fuel tank sometime this year prior to the AK trip next year. Definitely a bucket list trip for us. I read another thread where they made clear that Discover is not very common in Canada so think about Visa or Mastercard if you don't have them already. There are some really good threads on traveling to AK if you do a search in the forum.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’re planning for ‘24 as well. Got an aux fuel tank a few weeks ago, just finished a genny install. Inverters and lithium batts are next, then we’ll be as ready as we can be!
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did it last year. Take it slow or you will damage stuff. get the Milepost book and read up. Take the western entrance through Washington State "Oroville" and run north. At Prince George take 16 west to 37 and head north - Be sure to fuel up where possible and stops are few and far between on that road, It is the most beautiful drive I have ever made You will hit the Alcan (4) just west of Watson lake - backtrack and stock up there. Canada has an app that you MUST use any time to cross into Canada. Depending on where you go that could occur several times. Pay strict attention tho what you can and cant bring into Canada and the US (both ways)

Most US Cell phones don't work there. Get a prepaid Canada plan,sim card to use in your phone - cost us $40 at Walmart for 1 month with free calls in Canada and US with good data. Roaming charges on US phones (if they work and set for Canadian usage) can run 1$ a minute

Get plenty of Canadian cash in case you credit cards get frozen (call company ahead of time, but be prepared as charges in Canada will report as fraud on some cards). Discover is rarely taken. I suggest two credit cards with different banks such as Visa and MasterCard. However talk to each fraud department and find out how to unlock - some just use phone numbers and if your US phone does not work, your up the creak as I found out. Stay up on exchange rates - some campground will exchange or allow you to pay US currency (watson Lake) - a 25% plus for them. When I went, Canadian was $0.75 to the US dollar. Banks are you best choice, but hard to find along the Alcan HWY

If your TV uses DEF - stock up as it can be scarce in Canada. There is a chain called Canadian Tire that has it. In most places Walmart does not. Be careful of off brands too when you do find it. Also if you TV cant be switched to metric, be prepaired to calcualate.. Speed limits are much lower there.

This is just to start. BTW take you time - I planned 6 weeks and was still rushed

On last thing consider taking the ferry back from Alaska as you will be tired - this takes a lot of ahead planning. You might think the cost is steep, but it is a bargen considering fuel costs etc to drive. I did not plan aged and they were book 6 months out. If you plan on fishing those charters are also fully booked week out.

Last when driving the roads be watching for the side marking for the frost heaves (flags or cones) and SLOW DOWN!!!!! I bent both my axles and cracked my trailer frame. It can get expensive to go there.

On edit go in June or July - we were in Aug the start of the rainy season.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Never been, but have read other threads about it. Bring an extra spare tire for the trailer, maybe the truck too. Spare set of springs and shackles couldn't hurt either.
    We have driven to Alaska and back and never used any spare parts. Then was a 2016 Cascade Bunkhouse being towed by a 2016 RAM 2500 (CTD/RFE). We only accomplished that by sensible/cautious driving.
    Many people I read and/or listen to drive quite aggressively and, IMHO, missed many sights worth beholding!
    2018 RAM 3500 MC, CTD 6.7, 68RFE
    (2nd RAM MC w/CTD 85K Hitch Miles)
    2019 Imagine 2250RK, replaced hail destroyed BH (Brand X) in 2019.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Part of the reason we bought the truck and trailer we did was to go to Alaska next year. We winter at The Ranch, the Escapee co-op near Carlsbad. The general idea is to start at The Ranch, head to Quartzsite for a bit, then start working our way north. At this point most of the details are unknown. What words of wisdom do you have for us?
    If you haven't already watched them there are lots of YouTube videos of folks that have done the Alaska trip. Keep Your Daydream did it and give lots of good advice.
    2019 Imagine 2670MK, Titan disc brakes, Morryde CRE3000
    2015 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Limited TRD; RAS
    Bikes: Jamus Dragonslayer 26+ Sport, Electra Townie Go 8i
    Kayaks: Jackson Allwater, Liquid Logic

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Did it last year. Take it slow or you will damage stuff. get the Milepost book and read up. Take the western entrance through Washington State "Oroville" and run north. At Prince George take 16 west to 37 and head north - Be sure to fuel up where possible and stops are few and far between on that road, It is the most beautiful drive I have ever made You will hit the Alcan (4) just west of Watson lake - backtrack and stock up there. Canada has an app that you MUST use any time to cross into Canada. Depending on where you go that could occur several times. Pay strict attention tho what you can and cant bring into Canada and the US (both ways)

Most US Cell phones don't work there. Get a prepaid Canada plan,sim card to use in your phone - cost us $40 at Walmart for 1 month with free calls in Canada and US with good data. Roaming charges on US phones (if they work and set for Canadian usage) can run 1$ a minute

Get plenty of Canadian cash in case you credit cards get frozen (call company ahead of time, but be prepared as charges in Canada will report as fraud on some cards). Discover is rarely taken. I suggest two credit cards with different banks such as Visa and MasterCard. However talk to each fraud department and find out how to unlock - some just use phone numbers and if your US phone does not work, your up the creak as I found out. Stay up on exchange rates - some campground will exchange or allow you to pay US currency (watson Lake) - a 25% plus for them. When I went, Canadian was $0.75 to the US dollar. Banks are you best choice, but hard to find along the Alcan HWY

If your TV uses DEF - stock up as it can be scarce in Canada. There is a chain called Canadian Tire that has it. In most places Walmart does not. Be careful of off brands too when you do find it. Also if you TV cant be switched to metric, be prepaired to calcualate.. Speed limits are much lower there.

This is just to start. BTW take you time - I planned 6 weeks and was still rushed

On last thing consider taking the ferry back from Alaska as you will be tired - this takes a lot of ahead planning. You might think the cost is steep, but it is a bargen considering fuel costs etc to drive. I did not plan aged and they were book 6 months out. If you plan on fishing those charters are also fully booked week out.

Last when driving the roads be watching for the side marking for the frost heaves (flags or cones) and SLOW DOWN!!!!! I bent both my axles and cracked my trailer frame. It can get expensive to go there.

On edit go in June or July - we were in Aug the start of the rainy season.

Hope this helps
    The "ArriveCAN" app is no longer required to enter Canada.
    Steve & Ann Ellis
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://youtube.com/@lifebetweentheditches1307

This couple has alot on traveling Alaska wirth a look i think .
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12