User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check your air filter!!!

Drove to NC to visit daughter and there is a nice RAM dealership in Sanford that I had my oil changed at once before. I was due so went back (they are way cheaper than the local dealer here -$600 vs $1100 for oil and fuel filters).

Well, truck was done and tech came out and said you really need to change the air filter which I thought the local dealer had done. NOT. He brought the old one out - filled with duck/chicken feathers and absolutely filthy - turns out it was original. Feathers were from all the ducks/chickens roaming the campgrounds that we stayed at I'm assuming.

Anyway, 19.5mpg on the way down - 21.7 on the way home!
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $600 for oil and fuel filter changes!!!! Never had a Ram, but that seems like way too much. Glad I do them myself.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    $600 for oil and fuel filter changes!!!! Never had a Ram, but that seems like way too much. Glad I do them myself.
    All my life I've repaired our cars. Used to do my daughters F-350 6.0L and my prior Cummins. Too many years now on aching bones and I'm done. If I had a lift and proper air tools and compressor maybe but can't get rid of the old oil either - nobody here wants it.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one of the very few times I purchased a maintenance contract. It cost me $5K up front for 100,000 miles. Not bad considering it covers ALL maintenance items, including brake pads, filters, etc., including oil changes. I figured I'd hedge against inflation since I would be putting it that kind of cash over the 100k miles anyway. Turns out, it was a good buy. The price of oil went through the roof during COVID and I had three oil changes during that time. I have 47k miles on the truck right now, and I would have paid over $6,500 for the maintenance to date (this is the dealer doing the work). Normally, I would do the work, so it's nice that someone else is doing it, for now.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    This is one of the very few times I purchased a maintenance contract. It cost me $5K up front for 100,000 miles. Not bad considering it covers ALL maintenance items, including brake pads, filters, etc., including oil changes. I figured I'd hedge against inflation since I would be putting it that kind of cash over the 100k miles anyway. Turns out, it was a good buy. The price of oil went through the roof during COVID and I had three oil changes during that time. I have 47k miles on the truck right now, and I would have paid over $6,500 for the maintenance to date (this is the dealer doing the work). Normally, I would do the work, so it's nice that someone else is doing it, for now.
    Dang, never knew that was an option....Then again does it work if you have your oil changed at any dealer? I've had work done in Rapid City-SD, Sanford-NC, Putnam-CT, and NH. I'm probably close to 4K just in oil changes and preventive CP4 fuel filter changes.
    Last edited by ajg617; 03-05-2023 at 06:35 PM.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Dang, never knew that was an option....Then again does it work if you have your oil changed at any dealer? I've had work done in Rapid City-SD, Sanford-NC, Putnam-CT, and NH. I'm probably close to 4K just in oil changes and preventive CP4 fuel filter changes.
    It's offered through Ford. I've had my oil changed at the dealer I bought the truck from, and the dealer in San Antonio, so far.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    It's offered through Ford. I've had my oil changed at the dealer I bought the truck from, and the dealer in San Antonio, so far.
    Well, I have 4 dealers now trying to buy my truck.......
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I have 4 dealers now trying to buy my truck.......
    Lol! Get one (or four) on order, tell each dealer they can buy the truck when your new one comes in, at the best price they have (for the new one). Then pick and choose! Get the price they want to buy it at, in writing though.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    90 bucks for the oil
    15 for the oil filter
    45 for the air filter
    250 for the fuel filter

That’s about what they charged me last time I had the filters changed at once.

Total rip off.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ford does. We've had our oil changed in St John, Newfoundland, Anchorage, AK, Jamestown, ND, all using the Ford prepaid service.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast