User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the good ideas.
    After further investigation:
    - the battery was dead even though the charger had stopped charging and it appeared charged.
    (I'm shocked since it is only a few months old.)
    - the slides were working off the limited power from the truck.
    - I DO have an 80 amp breaker already.
    I was already thinking of adding a second battery and switching to AGM so I guess this forces that decision.
    Thank again everyone!
    Brian

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the exact same issue a few weeks ago. I normally keep the rig plugged into a 50amp at home, but like to let it sit not plugged in once in a while. I unplugged the battery disconnect and let it sit for maybe 10 days. Even with it plugged in after that, the slides did the same thing you're describing (I was immediately trying to open up the rig after plugging back in).
    After having it all plugged in and charged a few hours, the problem self-resolved.

Short answer, get your batteries charged up and then see how you are before doing anything else.
    The hydraulics work even with battery disconnect unplugged, so they are directly wired for power. I assume this means, even when plugged in, power for hydraulics runs through the batteries. Low/dead batteries seems to mean issues sometimes.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chapin View Post
    Thanks for all the good ideas.
    After further investigation:
    - the battery was dead even though the charger had stopped charging and it appeared charged.
    (I'm shocked since it is only a few months old.)
    - the slides were working off the limited power from the truck.
    - I DO have an 80 amp breaker already.
    I was already thinking of adding a second battery and switching to AGM so I guess this forces that decision.
    Thank again everyone!
    Brian
    Brian,

I would recommend you take a serious look at upgrading to Lithium. The advantages of Lithium are many and the price differential between AGM and Lithium is almost non existent.

Check out this post comparing Lithium to AGM and all LA batteries:

Lithium-over-Lead-Acid-Batteries

Here is another recent post:

Cheap-Lithium-Batterues-New-Lowest-Price-as-of-Feb-23
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    I had the exact same issue a few weeks ago. I normally keep the rig plugged into a 50amp at home, but like to let it sit not plugged in once in a while. I unplugged the battery disconnect and let it sit for maybe 10 days. Even with it plugged in after that, the slides did the same thing you're describing (I was immediately trying to open up the rig after plugging back in).
    After having it all plugged in and charged a few hours, the problem self-resolved.

Short answer, get your batteries charged up and then see how you are before doing anything else.
    The hydraulics work even with battery disconnect unplugged, so they are directly wired for power. I assume this means, even when plugged in, power for hydraulics runs through the batteries. Low/dead batteries seems to mean issues sometimes.
    FWIW, most trailers still have some draw from the batteries when the Battery Disconnect Switch is turned to "OFF". Some have more draw than others, and you need to check the draw on yours if you plan to leave it unplugged from shore power for any length of time.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chapin View Post
    Hi folks,
    I'm totally new to this forum since buying a 2022 Solitude 280RK which I haven't even camped in since picking it up in Tampa in December.
    I charged the single battery at home and reinstalled it before I tried to extend my 3 slides. The 2 large slides (kitchen/living room) would go out a few inches and ALL power in the unit would cut out completely. Power would come back on a few seconds later and I could move the slide another few inches. This continued until the slides were fully extended, and then again when I brought the slides back in.
    FYI, while I did this, I had it hooked up to my diesel truck so that I wouldn't deplete the battery too much, but that didn't seem to matter. The battery meter in the 5th wheel showed full power throughout the process.

What's the likely issue? Any suggestions?

Regards,
    Brian
    Sounds like you need a new battery. Hooking it to the truck provides only a trickle charge. Try plugging the rig into 120V ac. I doubt that you have a 60A backer as some have suggested. All the new rigs come with an 80A.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please look up my previous post on this topic, at least for our 2018 Solitude. There was a 50A auto-reset breaker for the hydraulics on the back wall of the front storage bay. Bottom-most breaker was under a cover behind the battery on our Solitude.

Anyway, if you have a 50A breaker, at 12V, it is not sufficient to always (ever?) provide enough current to the hydraulic pump to retract the jacks and/or slides. Replace this with an 80A auto-reset breaker. Grand Design provided mine at no cost for a 2018. For a 2022, not sure but you can ask. They should if it is a 50A breaker. 80A breakers are < $20 on Amazon.
    2018 Ram 3500 with AS69RC Aisin transmission and Companion RVK3670 sliding hitch
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has been some concern voiced that simply replacing the 50, or 60, amp breaker with an 80 amp could lead to issues. The concern was that the wiring may not be of sufficient gauge to support the current draw of 80 amps. There are a couple of threads about that, and recommending upgrading the wire if going to the 80 amp breaker. I, personally, don't know, but it does sound like a legitimate concern.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP has a '22. GD saw the errors of their ways & installed 80-amp breakers in those units...& I believe in '21s. I still think the OPs battery needs charged/replaced & needs a 2nd in a coach that big...but what do I know?
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12