User Tag List

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a terrible idea Riverbug. Maybe get some really thick assembly lube that's very high moly when you put it together. Then back it up with some high moly number 2 periodically?

Honestly, I think we're fighting a losing battle here; grease helps, no question, I actually moved over to higher end grease to try to extend the life (TRC). But the design is fundamentally flawed IMHO, they are going to fail eventually, I think the best we can do is extend the life from XX miles to YY miles. I'd be shocked if YY is more than 2-3X what XX is.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    You know, I was thinking about this. If I find that the Never Fail bushings I will install this spring do not pan out and I need to go back to bronze bushings, I wonder if it would be better to use marine molly lube rather than greasing through the zerk. If the lube were applied liberally prior to installation, I wonder if that wouldn't end up lasting longer than No. 2 grease applied through the zerks regularly? I use molly lube on the boat for rams, gears and such and it has an incredible ability to bond to the metal surfaces, is waterproof, etc. There was a separate thread with lots of discussion about bushings and Never Fails specifically. Some of us ordered them off eBay but this molly lube thing just occurred to me as I was doing some other boat maintenance yesterday. Anyway, just a thinking...
    Interesting idea, and I certainly don't see why it couldn't be applied with a grease gun.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Interesting idea, and I certainly don't see why it couldn't be applied with a grease gun.
    I've used some moly assembly lube that is almost a solid it's so thick. I'd think that's the kind of stuff you'd want if you were going for the "forever grease" experiment. Moly grease that you can put in a gun tops out around 5% moly, IIRC. I think the heavy paste/solid type stuff might be like 50% moly. Whatever the percentage, if it's the stuff I'm thinking of, you're not getting it through a grease gun. You'll want a butter knife to get it out of the tub.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    I've used some moly assembly lube that is almost a solid it's so thick. I'd think that's the kind of stuff you'd want if you were going for the "forever grease" experiment. Moly grease that you can put in a gun tops out around 5% moly, IIRC. I think the heavy paste/solid type stuff might be like 50% moly. Whatever the percentage, if it's the stuff I'm thinking of, you're not getting it through a grease gun. You'll want a butter knife to get it out of the tub.
    Correct, @Overtaxed. The stuff I use is pretty thick and wouldn't go through a grease gun. I agree, for the type of use I'm thinking of I'd want it to be heavy on the molly to maximize lubrication. I'll see how the Never Fails do after a year and if they don't cut it, I think I'll give this a try and see how that does.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, I was thinking about this. If I find that the Never Fail bushings I will install this spring do not pan out and I need to go back to bronze bushings, I wonder if it would be better to use marine molly lube rather than greasing through the zerk. If the lube were applied liberally prior to installation, I wonder if that wouldn't end up lasting longer than No. 2 grease applied through the zerks regularly? I use molly lube on the boat for rams, gears and such and it has an incredible ability to bond to the metal surfaces, is waterproof, etc. There was a separate thread with lots of discussion about bushings and Never Fails specifically. Some of us ordered them off eBay but this molly lube thing just occurred to me as I was doing some other boat maintenance yesterday. Anyway, just a thinking...
    That is a terrific idea. Prelube these things regardless if you plan to hit with the grease gun later.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    That is a terrific idea. Prelube these things regardless if you plan to hit with the grease gun later.

Bill
    I will absolutely try this "pre-lube" idea on the 2 I know need replacing right now. Once I get the new bolts and nuts, I will get that done and it will be "go-time"...
    Thanks again to everyone that has contributed to this thread and ideas.

J
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post
    I have not installed the “never fails” yet. I am waiting on new wet bolts from GDRV and nuts to swap in new bushings. But I have a set of 22 for my tri axle if I want to swap them out. What I am struggling with is them being any stronger than the bronze, but who knows…

I have a couple things to check based on info from Geo

Does anyone use those stabilize from equalizer hanger to hanger for side to side stability?

Thanks
    I have X-factors spanning all three hanger locations. I have to because I am forced to tabletop turn into our driveway every trip because of our narrow road. The lateral force is tremendous with this type of turn, but it's a great upgrade IMO regardless. The standard hangers are insufficient, even with v-clips.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I install the bushings, coat well with Red-n-Tacky, and then install my wet bolt after making sure the grease port is open. Set the trailer down on the suspension, torque to spec, stabilize and level, and then grease the wet bolts.

You can get much better bushings off the shelf. Century are available at drop ins (SAE 660). The issue I had was sourcing them from someone by the piece as I wasn't about to by a full lot of them.

After having a friend's GoPro with magnet mount record the suspension behavior, particularly wrapping, it's why I had the custom springs made with flexible bushings. Like I mentioned in another post the other week, if I had to do it all over again I would re-engineer the sprung suspension differently. But with the investment already made with repairing the original failure, upgrading to CRE, HD shackles, boxing and gusseting my hangers, X-factors, disc conversion, and adding shocks, I didn't want to grenade it. Fortunately, my Solitude has the long hangers, so it wasn't a problem to have a larger wrap eye formed.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, do these bushings have grease grooves in the ID or are they a straight bore?
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the bushings I've seen have no grooves.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast