User Tag List

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is a 48 Volt RV In Your Future?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Seriously? If I owned an EV for everyday use, I'd never have to visit a fuel station because I don't drive more than 30-50 miles, and usually much less, in a day. Unless you're strictly referring to RV-type usage. Then I agree it is marginally useful.
    So the 10 minutes to stop at a gas station weekly or bi weekly,that you likely pass often, is a disadvantage vs plugging a car in every night?

The only two “advantages” I see to an EV is noise and performance. That’s it
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I don’t understand why is it an “advantage” to charge at home?
    I don’t have to do anything to my gas vehicle at home

Is it your belief that over say a years driving the EV will be less expensive????
    Charging at home is definitely an advantage. You simply plug it in and leave it overnight. Then you unplug it in the morning. Of course you do not need to plug it in every night if you don't need to. For example: if your daily commute is 30 miles, plus a few extra miles for errands every day, and, your EV's range is 330 miles, you may need to only plug it in once per week (say, Friday evening so you have a full charge going into the weekend). Beyond the cost savings mentioned above, my wife LOVED the fact that she NEVER had to stop at the Gas Station when we had our Chevy Volt. The Chevy Volt is a Hybrid EV that can be plugged in and runs about 35 - 55 miles (depending on model year) in Electric Mode before the Gas Engine turns itself on. Our Volt had enough Electric only range to complete my wife's commute to and from work (with a few miles left over for an errand or two). My wife simply plugged the car in every night and unplugged it every morning. Again, she LOVED NOT having to go to the gas station every week!

Generally speaking, you don't set your EV to charge to 100% every time you charge it (this applies to Lithium Ion batteries, Lithium Iron [LiFePo4 batteries like to be charged to 100%])

Yes you will save a significant amount of money by charging your EV at Home, especially if you have Solar panels installed on your home and can charge when the Sun is shining.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Charging at home is definitely an advantage. You simply plug it in and leave it overnight. Then you unplug it in the morning. Of course you do not need to plug it in every night if you don't need to. For example: if your daily commute is 30 miles, plus a few extra miles for errands every day, and, your EV's range is 330 miles, you may need to only plug it in once per week (say, Friday evening so you have a full charge going into the weekend). Beyond the cost savings mentioned above, my wife LOVED the fact that she NEVER had to stop at the Gas Station when we had our Chevy Volt. The Chevy Volt is a Hybrid EV that can be plugged in and runs about 35 - 55 miles (depending on model year) in Electric Mode before the Gas Engine turns itself on. Our Volt had enough Electric only range to complete my wife's commute to and from work (with a few miles left over for an errand or two). My wife simply plugged the car in every night and unplugged it every morning. Again, she LOVED NOT having to go to the gas station every week!

Generally speaking, you don't set your EV to charge to 100% every time you charge it (this applies to Lithium Ion batteries, Lithium Iron [LiFePo4 batteries like to be charged to 100%])

Yes you will save a significant amount of money by charging your EV at Home, especially if you have Solar panels installed on your home and can charge when the Sun is shining.
    But it is not an “advantage”

Stopping for fuel weekly or biweekly is not a big job

But my question was is it your belief that EVs are cheaper to run than a gas car. Not whether you save money by charging at home. Taking everything in to account they are not. Period

Plus wait for costs to increase for you as demand does. Called capitalism

I can see two advantages to an EV. Performance and noise.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But it is not an “advantage”

Stopping for fuel weekly or biweekly is not a big job

But my question was is it your belief that EVs are cheaper to run than a gas car. Not whether you save money by charging at home. Taking everything in to account they are not. Period

Plus wait for costs to increase for you as demand does. Called capitalism

I can see two advantages to an EV. Performance and noise.
    Plugging your EV in once a week is even easier and takes less time.

EVs are definitely cheaper to operate. Hertz recently reported that their EV fleet is 40% to 50% less costly to maintain.

With an EV you don't have any expense for oil changes or transmission fluid flushes, and with "one pedal driving" you won't need to replace your brakes for 100,000 miles or more because you almost never use them.

Between the lower costs to fuel your EV and reduced maintenance costs your "Total Cost of Ownership" is much lower than with an Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicle. Additionally, the higher cost for the EV will be reflected in the higher resale value when you trade or sell the EV.

Here is a video explaining the costs of owning and operating an EV for 60,000 miles, it is short and very informative.

EV Ownership Cost for 60,000 Miles
    David and Peggy
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is a 48 Volt RV In Your Future?

EVs are definitely cheaper to operate. Hertz recently reported that their EV fleet is 40% to 50% less costly to maintain.

With an EV you don't have any expense for oil changes or transmission fluid flushes, and with "one pedal driving" you won't need to replace your brakes for 100,000 miles or more because you almost never use them.

Between the lower costs to fuel your EV and reduced maintenance costs your "Total Cost of Ownership" is much lower than with an Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicle. Additionally, the higher cost for the EV will be reflected in the higher resale value when you trade or sell the EV.

Here is a video explaining the costs of owning and operating an EV for 60,000 miles, it is short and very informative.

No way. There is no way in my area a bolt which is 45k will be cheaper to own and operate vs a spark for 17k

The internet is full of stories of people travelling One guy had a Rivian he was attempting to get down the east coast in and the difficulties he faced was unbelievable. One charge stop was over 100 US to charge up. Crazy

Good luck in your EV world. The costs are only going to go up not come down

Do you agree that the EV industry will always need oil for a part of its existence? I do
    And when the need for oil is reduced from lack of gas engines the price per barrel will rise exponentially making everything cost more not less

Fortunately it won’t happen this century

Edit. What about the 120 million people living in apartments btw? How is their cost?

Also let’s compare my 5 year old Sierra I paid 40 k for which is still worth north of 25k that tows my trailer
    Where would my costs be with a capable EV truck?
    Last edited by NB Canada; 03-07-2023 at 02:39 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way. There is no way in my area a bolt which is 45k will be cheaper to own and operate vs a spark for 17k

The internet is full of stories of people travelling One guy had a Rivian he was attempting to get down the east coast in and the difficulties he faced was unbelievable. One charge stop was over 100 US to charge up. Crazy

Good luck in your EV world. The costs are only going to go up not come down

Do you agree that the EV industry will always need oil for a part of its existence? I do
    And when the need for oil is reduced from lack of gas engines the price per barrel will rise exponentially making everything cost more not less

Fortunately it won’t happen this century

Edit. What about the 120 million people living in apartments btw? How is their cost?

Also let’s compare my 5 year old Sierra I paid 40 k for which is still worth north of 25k that tows my trailer
    Where would my costs be with a capable EV truck?
    I am sorry this post veered off into a discussion about EVs and I apologize if I continued down this path too long.

I am willing to continue this discussion via Private Message or through a different thread addressing EV issues.

I ask the moderators to please move the EV specific posts to a separate thread and maintain the thread regarding the original question: Is a 48 Volt EV in Your Future.

Please note: I encourage any discussion about EVs and am happy to answer any questions you may have, just not in this thread.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember recently reading a headline that said some states are now considering imposing new taxes/fees to EV owners to replace the tax monies they are no longer paying at the gas pump. IIRC an amount of upwards of $500.00 per year per EV owned was mentioned.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David - thank you, much for posting another informative and thought provoking thread on electric options. You have shared many knowledgeable and helpful posts on these topics over the years. Folks with open minds; willing to learn; and futuristic visions really appreciate your sharing.

I too am not on the EV train yet considering the many challenges. As with any bold entrepreneurial endeavor these and many other obstacles will evolve and be dealt with. Much of this with EV reluctance is generational (dang we old folks !)as it has been with countless major changes over decades.

Consumer Reports (April 2023) has a section comparing several comparable EV and gas models costs. Considering the key purchase/lease/operating/resale costs EVs were less costly across the board nearly in 100% of measures.

Now back to your original question, I suspect that the 48 volt is in in the conversations and it or alternatives will be for sale to the consumer in the not too distant future.

Heck, you will probably build one and share pictures/details this year !

Dan
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 03-07-2023 at 04:20 PM.
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    David - thank you, much for posting another informative and thought provoking thread on electric options. You have shared many knowledgeable and helpful posts on these topics over the years. Folks with open minds; willing to learn; and futuristic visions really appreciate your sharing.

I too am not on the EV train yet considering the many challenges. As with any bold entrepreneurial endeavor these and many other obstacles will evolve and be dealt with. Much of this with EV reluctance is generational (dang we old folks !)as it has been with countless major changes over decades.

Consumer Reports (April 2023) has a section comparing several comparable EV and gas models costs. Considering the key purchase/lease/operating/resale costs EVs were less costly across the board nearly in 100% of measures.

Now back to your original question, I suspect that the 48 volt is in in the conversations and it or alternatives will be for sale to the consumer in the not too distant future.

Heck, you will probably build one and share pictures/details this year !

Dan
    Dan, my RV is already powered by two Tesla Model S battery modules running at 24 volts.

And thank you for the kind words.
    David and Peggy
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan, my RV is already powered by two Tesla Model S battery modules running at 24 volts.

And thank you for the kind words.
    How much did they cost?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast