User Tag List

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    I think you're off on this one (as I've agreed with much of what you said, albeit a bit abrasive at times). This is more than a concept, and there is planned production in the next few years. Toyota is already working "self parking" trailer software based on cameras and remote user input (along with "self driving" trailers). I imagine others will follow. I'm in the camp of EV just isn't there for me, and those that think it's a cost savings are a bit drunk on the sugary drinks. There's absolutely nothing real in saving cost wise about nearly anything "green" right now. Solar panels are a perfect example, been around for decades, and are way too costly to be a savings in any way, shape or form. What EV and green energy DOES do is provide convenience or additional options but is almost always pricey. I love solar for off grid. I like the idea of electric motors and technology and the thought of being able to pull up to a campsite and watch a computer park the rig for me. But on the other hand, it's a great feeling doing it myself and fitting 44+ feet of trailer into a tight spot, nailing it on the first time to tiny applause from the RV Park audience.
    I think there is a large gap between this tiny single axle concept being built and the ability to self park a 44 foot fifth wheel. The need isn’t there but who knows, Airstream might actually build one to sell but you can guarantee it will be north of 100k. Will someone want one, likely but most won’t
    The thing I don’t understand about this segment( EVs and alternative energy) why is it taking so long to develop it to a cost effective idea?
    They say we all will be driving EVs soon but where is the technology allowing that?
    They say it will come but why isn’t it here now?
    With todays computer modeling and 3 d printers R and D can take days when only 20-30 years ago would take years
    My answer is that it either can’t be done or no one wants it
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still waiting for our flying cars they promised us back in the 60's.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Just to give you some idea of the energy density of Lithium Ion batteries compared to Lead Acid batteries: My 24 volt, Tesla, Model S, battery module measures ~3 inches tall, 11 inches wide and 20 inches long (it looks like a big brick). Electrically, it is 250 amp hours at ~ 24 volts. This is equivalent to 500ah at 12v, or 5 Battle Born Lithium batteries or 10 Lead Acid batteries. The whole battery module weighs less than a 12v Lead Acid battery (only 55 lbs for all that energy).

Here is a picture of the Model S battery module:
    Should I be looking at these as an alternative to two SOK 48v LiFePO4 server rack batts to power a couple of Victron inverters??
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Dan, my RV is already powered by two Tesla Model S battery modules running at 24 volts.

And thank you for the kind words.
    David - I do recall this and you sharing the details on this sometime ago.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I've managed to read through. To bad the EV subject took over most of the post. Funny how everyone gets really defensive when there's a change in the air, regardless of what that change is. When the internet was invented and they said that every house hold would have a connection, people screamed no way as we would have to re-wire the entire country.

Anyway,

I've read and see the advantages of 48v over 12v (smaller cables etc...) but is there any disadvantage other then changing/switching all of the appliances from 12v to 48v? Someone mentioned earlier that anything over 30DCv is dangerous and would require more protection. Will that protection addition offset the weight savings over todays 12v system?
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thinking after following this thread. Whether we are discussing changing our RV's to a 48 vdc system or EV's, it seems we have to keep in perspective that change occurs in every industry. Sometimes slow and sometimes fast. If we never experiment with new concepts we avoid change. Is that good?

In every new concept there are early adapters that enjoy being on the leading edge. They are the risk takers, and personally I'm glad they are of that mindset or we might all still be driving a horse and buggy.

EV's are not for everyone, especially at this point, and nobody is being forced to purchase one. But to predict the future of alternative forms of power is pure speculation. Would we have ever thought 50 years ago that we would be enjoying the many convenience and safety features of the trucks we drive today? Most due to computer chips, unheard of at the time.
    Last edited by dryfly; 03-08-2023 at 10:10 AM.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is smaller gauge wire an advantage?

Wouldn’t repair on small gauge wire be more difficult?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Is smaller gauge wire an advantage?

Wouldn’t repair on small gauge wire be more difficult?
    It’s cheaper, lighter and takes up less space. No more difficult than larger wire, and easier in some cases.

Saving tiny bits of money on large scale production vehicles is a big deal. An ME I was in school with went to work for a big automaker and came up with a change that slightly improved reliability and saved something like $1.50 per vehicle and got a nice cash bonus and an in person thank you from the CEO.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    But there has to be a need unfortunately or that it is “fixing” and issue but it isn’t
    Neither the manufacturer or overwhelming majority of end user would benefit so why do it?
    Imo they won’t. If it isn’t fixing a problem or helping sales they won’t do it. In fact it will just cost more
    For Tesla the issue is reduced weight from reducing the size of all wiring, improved electrical performance, and reduced cooling requirements of the electronic components.

RV OEMs would benefit from reduced weight, improved electronic component cooling (LCI One Control, Leveling Sensors, Refrigerator and water heater control boards, etc.), Higher energy efficiency of electric motors (think Furnace and Hydraulic Pump motor).

Owners would benefit from having more on-board energy storage (50ah, 48v Lithium battery vs 50ah [usable] 12v, Lead Acid Battery), reduced weight of their RV (fuel savings), energy efficiency of on-board devices (motors, Inverters, Solar Controllers, etc.). Additionally, higher voltage would allow RV OEMs to create new devices that are not possible with the current 12 volt architecture.

RV OEMs might also be "somewhat" forced into the 48v architecture because 12v components will become less and less available and more expensive because the automotive industry is moving to 48v. Additionally, 48v motors are probably cheaper because they take less internal windings/less copper to manufacture. Additionally, battery prices on a per amp basis will probably begin to favor 48 volts when compared to 12 volts.

Edit: I forgot to mention HUGE COST SAVINGS because of using 4x less Copper in the mile long wiring harnesses.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 03-08-2023 at 03:58 PM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    Should I be looking at these as an alternative to two SOK 48v LiFePO4 server rack batts to power a couple of Victron inverters??
    NO, I do not recommend installing the Tesla batteries in your RV. The batteries have no built-in BMS (that is accessible to DIYers) so, you have to design and develop your own BMS type battery protections. Additionally, the lower pricing of Lithium batteries reduces/eliminates the reasons to install the Model S batteries.

Of course, the Tesla batteries definitely have a "COOL" factor to them !!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast