Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    How much did they cost?
    You know what they say: "If you have to ask, you can't afford it".
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is a 48 Volt RV In Your Future?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    You know what they say: "If you have to ask, you can't afford it".
    Oh I know I can’t afford it but according to some it is our future
    Even solar is still out of reach. But why?
    What are they waiting for?

When does it get affordable?
    Last edited by NB Canada; 03-07-2023 at 04:38 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck, it could end up like Mercedes, BMW, and the like: it never gets affordable.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing one has to look at, is how long can these batteries be charged and discharged before needing to be replaced, and what does that cost look like.
    There are a lot of people doing some fun high performance things with ev's. Although to a lot of us old guys, nothing sounds as great as an American muscle V8.
    For now, its a wait and see where the ev's are going from here.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Dan, my RV is already powered by two Tesla Model S battery modules running at 24 volts.

And thank you for the kind words.
    I'm still using old technology LA batteries, but I really enjoy your posts on solar modifications and new technologies. You obviously have spent a lot of time researching and experimenting.

In comparison to the standard size batteries, what is the physical size of the 24 and 48 volt batteries? If Tesla and other manufacturers adopt 48 volt features, will this require a dedicated 48 volt battery or will they just modify current circuitry?
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I'm still using old technology LA batteries, but I really enjoy your posts on solar modifications and new technologies. You obviously have spent a lot of time researching and experimenting.

In comparison to the standard size batteries, what is the physical size of the 24 and 48 volt batteries? If Tesla and other manufacturers adopt 48 volt features, will this require a dedicated 48 volt battery or will they just modify current circuitry?
    The size of the battery will depend on how much energy can be stored inside. For a low energy application the battery could be a 4 inch cube, for a vehicle I would imagine the size would be about the size of a motorcycle battery or a very small car battery. Tesla currently makes a 12 volt, Lithium Ion, car battery that is somewhere between those two sizes.

I would suspect that a 48 volt, Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4) battery for the RV industry would have 50ah at 48v and be a battery group size 24. I also suspect that manufacturers will keep the current battery group sizes of 24, 31, etc. A 50ah 48v battery would be the equivalent of 2 100ah Battle Born batteries, which would be the equivalent of 4 12v Lead Acid batteries. You can clearly see how switching to 48 volt architecture can be beneficial when you compare it to the current 12v Lead Acid standard.

If the RV industry adopts the 48 volt standard, then a dedicated 48v battery will be needed.

Just to give you some idea of the energy density of Lithium Ion batteries compared to Lead Acid batteries: My 24 volt, Tesla, Model S, battery module measures ~3 inches tall, 11 inches wide and 20 inches long (it looks like a big brick). Electrically, it is 250 amp hours at ~ 24 volts. This is equivalent to 500ah at 12v, or 5 Battle Born Lithium batteries or 10 Lead Acid batteries. The whole battery module weighs less than a 12v Lead Acid battery (only 55 lbs for all that energy).

Here is a picture of the Model S battery module:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tesla-model-s-lithium-ion-18650-ev-module-22-8-volt-5-3-kwh.jpg  
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    A 50ah 48v battery would be the equivalent of 2 100ah Battle Born batteries, which would be the equivalent of 4 12v Lead Acid batteries. You can clearly see how switching to 48 volt architecture can be beneficial when you compare it to the current 12v Lead Acid standard.

If the RV industry adopts the 48 volt standard, then a dedicated 48v battery will be needed.

:
    But there has to be a need unfortunately or that it is “fixing” and issue but it isn’t
    Neither the manufacturer or overwhelming majority of end user would benefit so why do it?
    Imo they won’t. If it isn’t fixing a problem or helping sales they won’t do it. In fact it will just cost more
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if the 48 volt system will help facilitate the addition of EV drive axles in the RV industry. Airstream has the eStream concept now. This may end the argument of limited towing range. I don't see an EV in my future, but am open to it. For now, I'll grab my popcorn.
    2017 Solitude ST360RL
    Victron solar
    2005 Ram 3500 DRW
    Retired, Full time since 09/2021

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by savagkd View Post
    I wonder if the 48 volt system will help facilitate the addition of EV drive axles in the RV industry. Airstream has the eStream concept now. This may end the argument of limited towing range. I don't see an EV in my future, but am open to it. For now, I'll grab my popcorn.
    There is a reason it is a concept and has never been built. My guess is it will never be built

To have the trailer push the tow vehicle is a concept that will die on the drawing board

There is zero practical use for it
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    There is a reason it is a concept and has never been built. My guess is it will never be built

To have the trailer push the tow vehicle is a concept that will die on the drawing board

There is zero practical use for it
    I think you're off on this one (as I've agreed with much of what you said, albeit a bit abrasive at times). This is more than a concept, and there is planned production in the next few years. Toyota is already working "self parking" trailer software based on cameras and remote user input (along with "self driving" trailers). I imagine others will follow. I'm in the camp of EV just isn't there for me, and those that think it's a cost savings are a bit drunk on the sugary drinks. There's absolutely nothing real in saving cost wise about nearly anything "green" right now. Solar panels are a perfect example, been around for decades, and are way too costly to be a savings in any way, shape or form. What EV and green energy DOES do is provide convenience or additional options but is almost always pricey. I love solar for off grid. I like the idea of electric motors and technology and the thought of being able to pull up to a campsite and watch a computer park the rig for me. But on the other hand, it's a great feeling doing it myself and fitting 44+ feet of trailer into a tight spot, nailing it on the first time to tiny applause from the RV Park audience.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast