Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steepest grade (with or without turn) to tow 5th wheel

Hello all,
    I've been trying to assess my odds of success of pulling our (new) 2022 GD Momentum 351 up a gravel drive. Beyond the basic clearance elements to be aware of and plan for, I'm now shifting my attention to the grade itself and a turn that requires to be navigated (both going up, and down). I'm fairly confident that the my truck setup will have the traction/power in 4wheel-low to do the towing, but at one part of the steepest grade (~12%) there is a ~75ft sweeping turn that takes you to the top.

I'm mostly concerned about getting too top heavy on the grade to where it causes the ultimate problem = flipping over. I've been reading up across everywhere I can get my hands on regarding driving in high wind situations, etc to get some better understanding of the limits of the maneuver before me, but haven't found it yet. I came across this thread that got close to my situation, but it did not sound like twists and turns were in their equation:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...Driveway-grade

Prior to this new 5th wheel, I have been able to pull a 33ft travel trailer up this same drive (with the same truck) without issue. But this new toy hauler is a completely different beast.

Anyone have experience with that type of tow?

This is an older pic looking down the part of the drive I'm trying to explain above:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grade.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	503.6 KB 
ID:	45168
    Last edited by maddmaxx457; 03-07-2023 at 11:13 AM.
    2022 Grand Design Momentum 351MS-R
    2022 Ford F350 crew cab 6.7L Power StrokeŽ V8 Turbo Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx457 View Post
    Hello all,
    I've been trying to assess my odds of success of pulling our (new) 2022 GD Momentum 351 up a gravel drive. Beyond the basic clearance elements to be aware of and plan for, I'm now shifting my attention to the grade itself and a turn that requires to be navigated (both going up, and down). I'm fairly confident that the my truck setup will have the traction/power in 4wheel-low to do the towing, but at one part of the steepest grade (~12%) there is a ~75ft sweeping turn that takes you to the top.

I'm mostly concerned about getting too top heavy on the grade to where it causes the ultimate problem = flipping over. I've been reading up across everywhere I can get my hands on regarding driving in high wind situations, etc to get some better understanding of the limits of the maneuver before me, but haven't found it yet. I came across this thread that got close to my situation, but it did not sound like twists and turns were in their equation:

Prior to this new 5th wheel, I have been able to pull a 33ft travel trailer up this same drive (with the same truck) without issue. But this new toy hauler is a completely different beast.

This is an older pic looking down the part of the drive I'm trying to explain above:

Only one way to know for sure....

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx457 View Post
    Hello all,

Is that grade 12% side-to-side or top to bottom?

Top to bottom, you will be fine, side-to-side, you might have a problem and it comes down to weight distribution.

Take your time and go slow, with a couple of spotters, and you should be okay.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi MoonShadow_1911,
    That's a 12% grade top to bottom. The drive is pretty level side-to-side with it rolling off into the ditches for water run-off on either side. The only caveat to that is in that right turn you see at the bottom where it transitions from 12% top to bottom to ~7% side-to-side until the turn is completed.
    I've been thinking of dropping some more gravel on the outside half of the drive around that turn to take out some of that grade, or even asphalting this last section to do the same as well as help with traction...

Thanks for your help,

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also consider, the trailer wheel travel path with a 5th wheel vs TT. A TT wheels will pretty much mirror the tow vehicle, where the 5th wheel wheels will be more towards the inner portion of the turn and requires the tow vehicle to go wider. Is there enough room on that turn for the tow vehicle to go wide without making the trailer wheels fall off the gravel area?
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is your driveway for regular parking, my opinion is you're going to need to make some changes, and definitely if your truck is a long bed. Softening the right turn and providing greater width for the tow vehicle to run the outer (left) edge so the 5er can take it's path without ditching and clipping a tree. Clearly the slope beyond is too steep so only the inside available for modification.

Now, that said, we have friends with a 45 footer and no reasonable way to change the sharp turn they have as their driveway is carved into bedrock. Because their driveway is long and they live fairly remote, they have a tractor for plowing and such. During season, they put forks on it and use a trailer spotter attachment to guide the rear of the trailer around. The wife drives the truck and the husband is on the tractor and the spotter has a receiver adapter and some crazy engineer and welder built a ridiculous rear hitch on the 5er... Just a thought since those of us with crazy driveways tend to have yellow iron toys.
    Last edited by geotex1; 03-08-2023 at 06:38 AM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ​A picture of the curve might be helpful, but it sounds like that side to side grade and the drive width there may be your biggest challenge.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's going to flip over on that turn. Thing I'd be worried about, a 12% down grade, depending on how quickly it transitions back to flat, could be an issue for clearance, both at the truck (hitting the rails/bed because the clearance disappears as you crest the hill) and also for the RV itself (12% might be enough the back end catches on the ground, again, when you're transitioning onto/off of the hill.

If I were a betting man, I think you'll make it. Take it slow, and watch your clearance on the ground and the truck.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really appreciate everyones feedback!
    I do agree that some work will need to be done to that part of the drive with the turn to widen/soften it a little.
    Time to break out the tractor!

I'll report back with better pictures once I get a chance to get up to the property with good weather to make some adjustments.

Thanks all!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea but just in case, when you do this, please take video and post it here.
    2023 Reflection 297RSTS
    2020 F-250 Power Stroke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast