User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few hundred dollars to a civil engineer would likely answer this question, and maybe save thousands in repairs!
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx457 View Post
    Hello all,
    I've been trying to assess my odds of success of pulling our (new) 2022 GD Momentum 351 up a gravel drive. Beyond the basic clearance elements to be aware of and plan for, I'm now shifting my attention to the grade itself and a turn that requires to be navigated (both going up, and down). I'm fairly confident that the my truck setup will have the traction/power in 4wheel-low to do the towing, but at one part of the steepest grade (~12%) there is a ~75ft sweeping turn that takes you to the top.

I'm mostly concerned about getting too top heavy on the grade to where it causes the ultimate problem = flipping over. I've been reading up across everywhere I can get my hands on regarding driving in high wind situations, etc to get some better understanding of the limits of the maneuver before me, but haven't found it yet. I came across this thread that got close to my situation, but it did not sound like twists and turns were in their equation:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...Driveway-grade

Prior to this new 5th wheel, I have been able to pull a 33ft travel trailer up this same drive (with the same truck) without issue. But this new toy hauler is a completely different beast.

Anyone have experience with that type of tow?

This is an older pic looking down the part of the drive I'm trying to explain above:

Attachment 45168
    One thing to keep in mind pulling a 5th wheel up irregular terrain is thinking in three dimensions. If there are steep changes in grade you will need to keep an eye on clearance between the truck bedrails and the front of the camper. As with most things, I found this out the hard way on a hairpin above Crested Butte. As far as a 12% grade is concerned, no problem at all unless there's a severe sidehill.
    2020 303RLS MorRyde 4000
    2021 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW 4x4
    14,000 GVW Auto Leveling
    B&W Companion3600

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our seasonal property has steep crushed stone driveway with a turn at the bottom and a gentler one at the top. It is steep enough that 2wd cars often spin their wheels somewhat going up.

We pull a 40', 18,000# 5th wheel with a Ford F450 long wheel base dually 4x4 with stock Continental road tires (not known for great mud/snow traction).

We get up and down no problem. Creep down, with my hand close to the brake controller, just in case. I try to approach as fast as possible going up. Use 4WD low.

The biggest problem is if the crushed stone is too deep.

From your picture, I'd guess you'll be ok,

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are like me...you probably won't sleep until you have actually tried it!!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the biggest challenge will be making that curve. The road doesn’t appear to be more than 7-10 feet wide. There’s no way I’d try it with a rig the size of yours. If you try it and see you can’t make it, it won’t be a lot of fun trying to back out of a real jam. I think flattening that curve would solve your problem, but I like the idea of getting a civil engineer out to assess it first.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwalthall View Post
    If you are like me...you probably won't sleep until you have actually tried it!!

It bugged the heck out of me until I tried it.

To add to the stress, if things went crazy bad, the rig could end up in the St Lawrence River!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyFB38 View Post
    It bugged the heck out of me until I tried it.

To add to the stress, if things went crazy bad, the rig could end up in the St Lawrence River!
    I'm guessing this is either in Ontario or Quebec?
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Traveled the backroads in the Ozark's,it can get a bit tight as well as hilly, have had to use 4wd several times to get through.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35F7236A-A782-4101-84F4-D2F836E0C353.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	45267

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12