User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Change to lithium batteries

We have a new to us 2022 390RK with factory solar. First thing I would like to do is swap to 2 lithium batteries. (figure I can sell the 2 brand new lead acids, since they are brand new). My question is, what else do I need to do to protect lithiums? I think I figured out I need a controller that is lithium compatible and a converter that is compatible. Does this sound correct? Any tips, hints, and info appreciated.
    I tried searching, did not find exact answers, if I missed it, please shoot me link. Thanks in advance.
    2022 Solitude 390RK-R
    2021 Chevy 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Long Bed DRW

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After posting something similar early last year, I upgraded to two LiFePO4 batteries (actually the dealer installed them but the install was so terrible, I re-installed the way I wanted). In addition to the two lithium batteries, I installed a Progressive Dynamics lithium aware charge controller, Victron BMV-712 monitor, and upgraded some cabling over what the factory provided. Basic system but worked well for us last year.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    After posting something similar early last year, I upgraded to two LiFePO4 batteries (actually the dealer installed them but the install was so terrible, I re-installed the way I wanted). In addition to the two lithium batteries, I installed a Progressive Dynamics lithium aware charge controller, Victron BMV-712 monitor, and upgraded some cabling over what the factory provided. Basic system but worked well for us last year.
    You did not need a new charger? Does the one GD installs work for lithium? Did you not have a Jaboni controller?
    2022 Solitude 390RK-R
    2021 Chevy 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Long Bed DRW

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The WFCO charger that came with ours was not lithium aware - it would charge but not bring the lithiums up to full SOC. It seems like some of the later builds use WFCO chargers that can be set to lithiums - ours could not. The before/after pictures of dealer/my install are in post #12 below. You might find that thread interesting. I also added buss bars and a BlueSea shut-off. This last winter, I added battery heaters (below 32F, they don't accept a charge - at least that is the cut-off for ours). The Jaboni is only charging from the solar panel - the WFCO charges when hooked to shore power.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-on-cable-size
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    This is an excellent first step and I highly recommend this approach.

Good job Robin and John!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post

Good job Robin and John!
    I agree. This is a very solid first step down this huge rabbit hole.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post

Good job Robin and John!
    Might I add, that this was entirely made possible with the many knowledgeable folks on this forum that got me started from zero knowledge to two successful long trips last year - helping to solve problems along the way.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma1973 View Post
    You did not need a new charger? Does the one GD installs work for lithium? Did you not have a Jaboni controller?
    Not the person you were replying to, but some of the converters and controllers sent from the factory are Lithium ready and others are not, there is no way to tell without looking at yours specifically. Take a look at your controller and converter and note the make and model, then look up (or post here) if it's lithium compatible. If it's not, they are very simple to change out and this is a great upgrade to make for your electrical system.
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
    2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive gooseneck conversion hitch
    630aH LiFePO4 Lion Energy battery bank, Victron Multi-Plus II Inverter, Victron MPPT, 563w solar array, CerboGX, 40a DC-DC charger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast