User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    I've used the B&W Companion fifth wheel hitch in my last three trucks and love it. It's gotta be like 12 years old now and still going strong. I bought the lower puck adapter base for my latest truck so it works with the fifth wheel prep. I have a long bed ----so I have no use for a slider hitch. Lots of room for turning, hauling, etc. The hitch is in two pieces---upper jaw section and lower base. Makes it easier for removal and installation. Recently I bought the adapter to pick up the whole hitch with the overhead winch in the shop so I will be doing that going forward.
    Absolutely agree with you about the B&W hitch. We owned our previous one for over 15 years and only got rid of it when we bought the new truck. But we sold the old one, and bought the new B&W puck system to replace it. Tough to get much better than the B&W, and as a plus it's made in Kansas.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anderson also makes a metal chain connection ring that slides over ball before setting in the hitch frame. The factory safety chain connections in my F-350 are covered by the Anderson hitch frame.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Anderson also makes a metal chain connection ring that slides over ball before setting in the hitch frame. The factory safety chain connections in my F-350 are covered by the Anderson hitch frame.
    Ditto, same setup for me.
    The AUH is not too easy, it's what-you-see-is-what-you-get. It bolts on to the ball/stem with 3 bolts at 60lbs of torque. Whole thing weighs about 40 lbs. Super easy. If I had to do it over, I'd probably go with one of the gooseneck adapters and not even need a hitch. However, the AUH only takes about 5 minutes to install/remove.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know that I would consider a gooseneck adapter. For one thing, unless specifically stated otherwise, the manufacturer of the trailer may use that as an excuse to void your frame warranty. But, more important in my eyes, is that it puts an unnecessary strain on the fifth wheel frame where the pin box is formed. Lots of leverage in play with a gooseneck adapter, and some of these frames in that area are not the most robust. JMO anyway.
    Howard and Peggy

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like WondersAwait's gooseneck set up. When in use it leaves more usable space in the bed than the Anderson frame and all you have to store when not in use is the ball. Slick!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anderson is manufactured here in Idaho. : )

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like WondersAwait's gooseneck set up. When in use it leaves more usable space in the bed than the Anderson frame and all you have to store when not in use is the ball. Slick!
    Anderson is manufactured here in Idaho. : )
    @Chicken Dinner - here are a few forum tips:

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

3) You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

BTW - the hitch company is spelled "Andersen" (with an "e").

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I don't know that I would consider a gooseneck adapter. For one thing, unless specifically stated otherwise, the manufacturer of the trailer may use that as an excuse to void your frame warranty. But, more important in my eyes, is that it puts an unnecessary strain on the fifth wheel frame where the pin box is formed. Lots of leverage in play with a gooseneck adapter, and some of these frames in that area are not the most robust. JMO anyway.
    Goose-neck adapters that bolt to the pinbox plate will absolutely create extra strain on the trailer frame, but both the Reese Goosebox and Gen-Y Executive Conversion use a different mounting design, attaching to the existing pinbox mounting plates and retaining the same forces as a traditional fifth wheel hitch puts on the frame. Lippert has stated that the Reese will not void the warranty and the Gen-Y attaches the same way. I would not (and don't) worry about the structural integrity of the hitch causing any issues.
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
    2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive gooseneck conversion hitch
    630aH LiFePO4 Lion Energy battery bank, Victron Multi-Plus II Inverter, Victron MPPT, 563w solar array, CerboGX, 40a DC-DC charger

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strat62 View Post
    We are new to the 5th wheel world. We traveled in a class B for years but now need more space.

I recently traded the van for a 303RLS and are trying to figure out what hitch to put in the bed of my GMC 2500 (OEM 5th wheel prepped)

I've been told get a slider to be safe since I'm a noob which makes sense. Talked to the guys at etrailer and recommended the B & W Companion Slider

Seems like a straightforward install(?) but my question is in how to decide to adjust it for the height or other adjustments etc.?

I'm at the "I don't know what I don't know" stage.

Needing some help on any tips or what to look out for/consider...

Thanks in advance
    If you have any friends with an air ride hitch, I’d take a ride with them, and then try to find someone with a fixed hitch in order to compare the two.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WondersAwait View Post
    Goose-neck adapters that bolt to the pinbox plate will absolutely create extra strain on the trailer frame, but both the Reese Goosebox and Gen-Y Executive Conversion use a different mounting design, attaching to the existing pinbox mounting plates and retaining the same forces as a traditional fifth wheel hitch puts on the frame. Lippert has stated that the Reese will not void the warranty and the Gen-Y attaches the same way. I would not (and don't) worry about the structural integrity of the hitch causing any issues.
    Yes, I knew the Goosebox and Gen-Y were not traditional adapters, but was just making the point for those unaware that there are safe-to-use adapters vs the not-wise-to-use adapters.
    Howard and Peggy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast