User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Winegard Air 360+ antennas for other cellular devices

We just purchased a 2022 Reflection 280RS that has the Winegard Air 360+ pre-installed. Since I didn't like the pricing plans being offered and I already had a cellular modem (Sierra Wireless RV55) laying around I wanted to try tapping into the antenna lines and extending them to a location I could easily install the modem when needed. The process was fairly straight forward and simple. The preinstalled cables are color coded and easy to differentiate between the two LTE (green & yellow) for cellular and one WiFi (red) connection above the prep plate. These preinstalled cables use MCX male connectors. I purchased a MCX female to SMA female adapter and a SMA male to SMA male cable. This will allow connection to the cellular modem or if using a smaller hotspot type device that usually have the MCX connectors. Since we have the coffee bar I chose to drill a smaller hole above and pull the cables above the ceiling and drop down above the cabinet. Coincidentally there is switched 12V above the cabinet as well for the recessed led cabinet lighting that already had a Wago connector with a free port. The cell tower is extremely close to my home so testing with and without being connected to the Air360 + showed little difference. I currently have Verizon and AT&T sim cards installed and can manually switch between the two. Waiting to head out and try in a more "challenging" condition. Hopefully this may be useful to someone looking to do the same thing. Here is a link to the items purchased on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/DHT-Electroni...s%2C173&sr=1-3

Matt KB3EGW
    2019 F-250 Crew Cab SRW SB
    2022 Reflection150 280RS

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrb188 View Post
    We just purchased a 2022 Reflection 280RS that has the Winegard Air 360+ pre-installed. Since I didn't like the pricing plans being offered and I already had a cellular modem (Sierra Wireless RV55) laying around I wanted to try tapping into the antenna lines and extending them to a location I could easily install the modem when needed. The process was fairly straight forward and simple. The preinstalled cables are color coded and easy to differentiate between the two LTE (green & yellow) for cellular and one WiFi (red) connection above the prep plate. These preinstalled cables use MCX male connectors. I purchased a MCX female to SMA female adapter and a SMA male to SMA male cable. This will allow connection to the cellular modem or if using a smaller hotspot type device that usually have the MCX connectors. Since we have the coffee bar I chose to drill a smaller hole above and pull the cables above the ceiling and drop down above the cabinet. Coincidentally there is switched 12V above the cabinet as well for the recessed led cabinet lighting that already had a Wago connector with a free port. The cell tower is extremely close to my home so testing with and without being connected to the Air360 + showed little difference. I currently have Verizon and AT&T sim cards installed and can manually switch between the two. Waiting to head out and try in a more "challenging" condition. Hopefully this may be useful to someone looking to do the same thing. Here is a link to the items purchased on Amazon.

Thanks for your detailed description @mrb188, in theory, what you've done should work. Please let us know how it went when you test it in a more remote location.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrb188 View Post

Thanks for this info, I'm currently using a flag pole and a proxicast antenna. Its a bit of a pain to put up and down and your option would be a lot easier. Wineguard now has a 5g antenna option that would pair nicely with my Mofi 5g router that I just purchased. If you have any first responders in your family, you can get the Firstnet service that comes with unlimited hotspot on both your phone and a hotspot device. The stand alone unlimited hotspot is $40 a month.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update.......works as hoped. Verizon is currently the strongest on the modem at -86 with two HD tv's streaming during the test and still pulling 25Mbps on speedtest.
    Matt KB3EGW
    2022 Reflection150 280RS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just purchased a 2023 Reflection 280RS. I'm reading a lot of negative feedback on the Winegard Router. How they keep having to be restarted throughout the day. My preference would be to use the router that my trailer is already pre-wired for with the AIR 360+, really don't want to have to re-wire if I can avoid it and definitely don't want to put the router in a different location simply because of the wiring issue. I've not opened up the cover on the ceiling yet. Do I have to use the Winegard Gateway? MRB188, have you got photos of your mod? Thanks.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You don't have to use their router, it's just an antenna. Any router should work. It uses the same connections as other antennas, sma.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I chose to not use the Winegard router due to the pricing of their plans and not having the option to choose my carrier. As Maximus216 said, the roof unit is only an antenna. You will need to make the conversion from MCX connector to SMA connector for the antenna cables. I included the Amazon links above to what I used for the cables and connector adaptation. I also have a Sierra Wireless RV55 modem that has dual SIM slots so I can choose between carriers. We have the "coffee bar" directly inside the door so I was able to simply mount the modem on top of that and it was a straight shot for the cables. My modem also has the wi-fi card installed so it acts as a wireless access point for all my wireless devices. If you choose a modem that only has a network conversion then you will need to connect that to a wireless unit for your devices. I will post pictures, just haven't had time. Hope this helps.
    Matt KB3EGW
    2022 Reflection150 280RS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On the wineguard website, they make it sound like it will only wk on their router.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did you run the cables in the attic and down or was you antennas over the coffee table

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maximus216, I ran above the ceiling in the "attic area" to above the cabinets over our coffee bar and drilled a hole to drop them down. Since the cabinets are so high I don't even notice anything there. The only issue I had was due to the limited space i had to use a right angle drill. We have lights above the cabinets and just tapped into the power for those. The only issue is that you have to leave the lights on to power the modem. Winegard does make it seem as though the antenna will only work with their equipment for obvious reasons, but an antenna is antenna as long as it is the type / frequency you need.
    Matt KB3EGW
    2022 Reflection150 280RS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast