User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asking all ram2500 diesel owners ...

Well, the time has come to buy a tow vehicle. For the past few years, I have been renting from Enterprise Truck rental. I have rented both Ford and RAM, gas and diesel. We decided to go with RAM diesel for its comfort and other reasons.

As I write this (3/8/23) there is still a hold on purchasing 2023 2500 diesels due to a recall. That said I have a few questions...

1) Extended warranty, is it worth it? After 3 years or 36k miles what has failed that would have been covered by the warranty? If you could do it again, would you get or not get the extended warranty?

2) Bighorn Vs Tradesman, is the big horn worth the extra $$

3) Would you buy a RAM 2500 diesel again? Buyers regret, would you buy a Ford or GM?

Many thanks in advance for your honest feedback.
    Mitch and Alisa Frank
    2020 Imagine XLS 22 MLE
    2020 RAM 2500 Diesel

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asking all ram2500 diesel owners ...

I personally would never buy a 2500 diesel. Go directly to 3500

I was a finance manager for a Dodge dealer and they have comprehensive warranties that cover lots of incidentals. It is insurance Who knows

The customers I sold plans to saved a ton of money because every RAM had front ends needing replaced
    It covered all that
    This was 14 years ago though
    Last edited by NB Canada; 03-08-2023 at 05:24 PM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrffrank440 View Post
    Well, the time has come to buy a tow vehicle. For the past few years, I have been renting from Enterprise Truck rental. I have rented both Ford and RAM, gas and diesel. We decided to go with RAM diesel for its comfort and other reasons.

As I write this (3/8/23) there is still a hold on purchasing 2023 2500 diesels due to a recall. That said I have a few questions...

1) Extended warranty, is it worth it? After 3 years or 36k miles what has failed that would have been covered by the warranty? If you could do it again, would you get or not get the extended warranty?

2) Bighorn Vs Tradesman, is the big horn worth the extra $$

3) Would you buy a RAM 2500 diesel again? Buyers regret, would you buy a Ford or GM?

Many thanks in advance for your honest feedback.

There is some info in this thread, mainly Ram and GM.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...l=1#post471305

Personally I would never by a 2500, a 3500 is almost the same cost and if you ever want to go to a bigger trailer you have the spare capacity. They should ride similar with the exception of the 2500 ram with the air bag suspension. I don't know how great this is for pulling though. Never tried it.

I usually buy the extended warranty on trucks, so many things to go wrong. I know some will disagree, but they have always worked out well for me.

Can't help you with the big horn vs tradesmen, I always go with the top trim package. Its a sickness
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2017 2500HD with the Factory Airbags. I bought the extended warranty, primarily because it is a Dodge. Almost 70K miles and I have not had a single issue with the truck, but with all the electronics, suspension, turbos, etc.. i thought the cost was reasonable. I opted for the Laramie package because I wanted the leather bucket seats - personal preference, but love the interior of the truck.

In hindsight I would have opted for the 3500HD for all the reasons already outlined especially now that I have a new 350G 5th wheel. No issues with the factory airbags and pulling the heavy load.

Would I buy it again - yes, primarily for the towing performance of the cummins diesel.
    '22 Grand Design Momentum 350G, '17 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.7L Diesel, B&W Companion 25K
    '17 BMW R1200RS, '16 BMW R1200RS, '98 Honda VFR800FI, '13 Aprilia Tuono
    '12 Honda CBR1000RR, '11 Yamaha R6
    '21 KTM 150 XC-W TPI, '06 KTM 300 EXC, '02 Honda XR100, '22 Yamaha PW50

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spend the minor difference to go 3500 diesel. You'll be set for your next camper upgrade. The Mopar extended warranties are legitimate. However, price IS NOT fixed and you can shop around for best price and pay cash so you're not overpaying it in financing. The lifetime MaxCare is no longer available, but there are several extended available. You also don't have to buy the Mopar's at time of sale. I'm not an advocate for third-party extended warranties at all because their cost would be better in a CD or at least a high-yield savings. The Mopar's are priced well and are attached right to your vehicle's electronic file. Clean integration. No reimbursement nonsense.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve got to add my vote for going to the 3500. (I’ve got a 2022 Limited 4x4 and really like it.). If you go to the RAM website and do a build comparison I doubt the 3500 will be much more, if anything, for a comparable build. As far as trim level goes, it depends on what you want for the truck. We wanted adaptive cruise control, surround view camera, digital rear view mirror, and the rest of the safety package, as well as the 12” display. I found that it can cost as much or more to add those options to a lower trim level than just buying the higher trim level.

As far as extended warranties, I’ve never purchased one in 48 years of buying vehicles. In all that time, 9 cars and trucks, I’ve never had a single issue that would have been covered by an extended warranty and we typically keep a vehicle for 10-20 years. Granted, those vehicles were Mazdas, Acuras and Toyotas. If Toyota made a 1-Ton diesel dually, it would have been a no brainer for me. I’m hoping for the same experience with this RAM. That may be unrealistic but insurance and extended warranties are like gambling. They are guaranteed, on average, to be losing propositions. They don’t sell those to lose money. In fact, given the full court press to buy an extended warranty with a new vehicle, I would guess they make a LOT of money. You should never buy insurance for something you can cover without too much pain.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Extended warranties are like insurance policies but they do cover wear and tear items.
    The manufacturer warranty is a no questions asked coverage
    Every Ram our dealership sold from 2008-2010 had a 5/100000 complete warranty Everyone of them needed a full front suspension swap after 60km. The customers were very happy
    Many people say warranties are a ripoff or they bought one and never used it but the same could be said for the base warranty
    It is a part of the purchase price and given the option many would not opt to buy a new vehicle with no warranty even though statistically there is a low chance of failure (that is why manufacturers put it on) so why wouldn’t you want coverage as parts wear from use?

Btw there was a 100 percent mark up on warranty when I sold them. I don’t know if they still are but there is discounts to be had
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also go with the 3500 for several reasons. Biggest one is having the leaf spring suspension instead of the coil spring. The coil springs give a better ride, but for towing, the leaf is better. Also, the coils are mounted more inboard then the leaf, and you will get more lateral movement when towing. And as has been said, the better payload, especially with the diesel.

If you do go to the 3500, I would stay with the standard output diesel unless you are going to be towing more than 16,000 lbs. The SO is more than capable, and better mileage than the HO.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 21 Ram 2500 Big Horn diesel and I like it a lot, would do it again. I didn't want a tradesman because of the vinyl seats, but the dealer would have changed them for a lot less than the cost of the Bighorn. But I'm glad I got the upgraded vehicle, it has enough bells and whistles actually several I never use.
    The 2500 is big enough for me, I don't plan on getting a larger trailer. Plus, it's my daily driver, and the 2500 has a much softer ride than any 3500 I have ever been in (my son has one that I've driven and rode in many times).

The recalls have been a PIA, but they are all minor IMO, and I'll wait until the most recent has a cure before I get the others remedied.
    I would think the current grid heater "no sale" recall will be resolved soon because they can't afford to have trucks sitting aroound too long.

This is my 4th Ram, 2nd diesel, so I've been around them a while.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree on the jump to a 3500. I'm on my 3rd Ram. Two diesels and a Hemi in between. Have never bought an extended warranty with them. I had a 2012 2500 (Leafs) for 6 years and loved everything about it except the over ambitious regen cycles. It was pre DEF. Got tired of the regens and went to an 18 2500 Hemi. (Coils.) towed the same 5th wheel with both of those. The 2012 leaf version was hands down more stabil.
    After 2+ seasons of towing I couldn't handle the Hemis lack of power behind the crappy 6sp trans Ram used so I found a leftover 2019 3500 BH CTD and bought it at the end of 2020. Got a killer deal as used vehicles were starting to be in short supply and Ram was still offering big discounts.

Most all Tradesmans have cloth seats. Rarely do they have vinyl unless the dealer bought it for sale to a commercial business. Many Tradesmans come equipped with the Chrome Package and the Level 2 package which are nice addons. No pwr seats in a Tradesman. Other than that they're just as nice inside as a Big Horn if you package them right. Obviously you can option out a BH to be pretty nice inside so if thats what you like then a BH would be the better choice.

With all that being said and if I were shopping for a new truck or even a slightly used truck and I wasn't towing heavy I'd 100% look for an F350 XLT 7.3. My trucks are short hopped daily drivers with most driving done towing out trailers from april to early Oct.
    Last edited by goducks14; 03-09-2023 at 04:55 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast