User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most all Tradesmans have cloth seats. Rarely do they have vinyl unless the dealer bought it for sale to a commercial business. Many Tradesmans come equipped with the Chrome Package and the Level 2 package which are nice addons. No pwr seats in a Tradesman. Other than that they're just as nice inside as a Big Horn if you package them right. Obviously you can option out a BH to be pretty nice inside so if thats what you like then a BH would be the better choice.
    That could be, but the ones I looked at weren't optioned out. I had no interest in ordering a truck, I wanted one off the lot. I really wanted a 2wd but all I could find in Florida were 4wd Florida.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ram 2500s ride really, really nice. They have coil springs in the rear. The result is they have towing specs that are no better than a lot of 1/2 ton trucks. I was looking at Laramie diesels that had lower payload than my F-150.

If you want a diesel, get a 1 ton regardless of manufacturer.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having owned an older 1500, 2500 Cummins (2001) shortbed, plus an F-150, F-350, F-550 and now a 3500 I'm really impressed with the ride in the 3500. We've now round-trips from NH to NC to visit relatives multiple times including in two autos and the TV - 16 hours each way. I could not move after making the trip in our car, but no stiffness or fatigue in the 3500. Totally shocked me as I figured the stiffer ride would really take a toll. Not at all. Just got back again and the 3500 was a pleasure to drive compared to our sedan. Could not do that in a car again. Is it stiffer ride when hitting bridge seams? Yes. But the seat support and comfort level is amazing. Smoother ride when 5th wheel is attached.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awesome advice in this thread, if you are going Ram and don’t need a 2500 for some specific reason (off-roading, truck mods, etc) then go straight to the 3500. You get rid of the coil spring suspension and get much higher cargo capacity.

If your an off-roader be wary of the PowerWagons, they tend to have really low cargo capacity due to all the toys on them. They don’t tow so well unless your doing bumper pull.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mitch,

Short answer is skip the 2500 unless you can go gas. If diesel, go 3500. I drove a 2004 2500 until 2021, and always wished i had the 3500. I replaced it with a 3500 DRW in June 2021 (Longhorn, MSPR $89,000).
    Bought the 8 year/125,000 max care extended warranty on 4/20/22 online, Zeigler Chrysler (I live in Oregon) for $3,690.00. Cheap insurance considering what you could get into with the electronics. I had a issue with the wife's Ford car one time that if I had not had the extended warranty, they would have just sent me home and say the car is fine (they could not duplicate the issue). The warranty forced their hand to keep the car and find the issue. turned out to be a cracked fuse deep in the engine bay.

Good luck, Jim
    2021 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW Air-ride
    B&W 25k Companion puck system
    2012 Forest River Cardinal 3550RL
    39 months to retirement, WE WILL GET THERE!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrffrank440 View Post
    Well, the time has come to buy a tow vehicle. For the past few years, I have been renting from Enterprise Truck rental. I have rented both Ford and RAM, gas and diesel. We decided to go with RAM diesel for its comfort and other reasons.

As I write this (3/8/23) there is still a hold on purchasing 2023 2500 diesels due to a recall. That said I have a few questions...

1) Extended warranty, is it worth it? After 3 years or 36k miles what has failed that would have been covered by the warranty? If you could do it again, would you get or not get the extended warranty?

2) Bighorn Vs Tradesman, is the big horn worth the extra $$

3) Would you buy a RAM 2500 diesel again? Buyers regret, would you buy a Ford or GM?

Many thanks in advance for your honest feedback.
    I have not owned or towed with anything other than a GMC 2500 diesel. When doing my due diligence in the Fall of 2019, I drove the Ram 2500 and 3500 back to back (also drove the F250). Really liked the ride in the 2500 but the 3500 was very harsh - not something I would ever want to drive as a daily driver. The big problem was the lack of payload for 3/4 ton trucks in 2019 - neither the Ram, Ford or GM/Chevy came close to what we needed to haul our 5th wheel (303RLS).

The world changed with the 2020 GMC 2500. Anyone that blindly says skip the 2500 and go straight to the 3500 is out of touch and/or are sales reps. Our 2020 GMC 2500 with Denali trim has a 6.6 Duramax with the 10 speed Allison transmission and has over 3000 lbs. payload. When fully loaded - and I’m talking full fresh water tank, tools, firewood, grandkids, cases of wine and beer, we are still hundreds of pounds below capacity (and yes, did the CAT scale to validate that.) Why would you want a harsher ride and lower power to weight ratio if the 3/4 ton is more than enough for the job? Sure glad we did not listen to the folks that were blindly giving their recommendations, usually based on out of date info.
    What are you hauling? Do your homework. Not sure if you will upgrade to a bigger rig down the road? Well, get a 5500 dually- you’ll be good forever..

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a GMC 3500 HD Denali SRW LB and love the ride we get towing or not. In fact we think it has a better ride than most cars. So do others that ride in it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I personally would never buy a 2500 diesel. Go directly to 3500

I was a finance manager for a Dodge dealer and they have comprehensive warranties that cover lots of incidentals. It is insurance Who knows

The customers I sold plans to saved a ton of money because every RAM had front ends needing replaced
    It covered all that
    This was 14 years ago though
    I'd have to agree with NB Canada, unless you are 150% certain that a 5th wheel isn't in your future then I'd get a 3500 or maybe even a 4500 diesel. I own a 2018 Ram 2500 CTD and I absolutly love my diesel engine. Its got the pulling power and its got the diesel brake.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the Tradesman 3 years ago to pull my 328G 5th wheel Toy hauler. I absolutely love it, would buy again in a heart beat. Hands down best truck I have ever owned. Pulling 328g average 11 mPG, amazing gas mileage non toying. Can get 30 mpg on hwy at 6O miles per hour. Coming up on 36K mileage and 3 year anniversary, have had some minor recalls but nothing out of pocket or concerning. Get the Ram Boxes and you will love your life. Regret- i did not get Ram Bins for back seat. I can't say enough good things, love my Cummings 6.2 Diesel, Ram Boxes, Interior, 4wd, cloth seats. Former owner of F150, Ford Ranger, and Tundra. Tradesman beats them in everything I care about: quality, dependability, as advertised, vendor response, hauling, craftsman ship , MPG, on and on and on.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I absolutely love my RAM. Tows my trailer in cruise control without even downshifting. Just see the boost go up when going uphill. (99% of the time) Also about 11 MPG. Not too bad for 13K lbs. 25 MPG when not towing. It has the best exhaust brake ever.

I have a bed cap, so basically I have a 5th wheel type travel trailer (no internal stairs) with full storage and use of my truck bed.

Info about my units are in the signature below.
    Last edited by markandkim; 03-28-2023 at 04:04 AM.
    Retired U.S. Navy Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Big Horn, CC, 6.7 Cummins
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast