User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to de-winterize?

So I've been reading through de-winterizing threads for a while but I haven't found, so far, what I'm looking for. Here's my dilemma ...

We're camping for spring break in April. Unfortunately, the site we have is just water and electric. In the past we've had full hook up sites and it was REALLY easy to get it de-winterized. I see that I have 3 options.

1. Go to site and park. De-winterize. Then pull the trailer back to the dump station to empty and re park.
    2. Go to site and park. De-winterize. Then use my portable dump tank to take multiple trips to the dump station until its empty.
    3. Go directly to the dump station and use the "clean" water hook up to flush the system.

Some advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sutherlandjl View Post
    So I've been reading through de-winterizing threads for a while but I haven't found, so far, what I'm looking for. Here's my dilemma ...

We're camping for spring break in April. Unfortunately, the site we have is just water and electric. In the past we've had full hook up sites and it was REALLY easy to get it de-winterized. I see that I have 3 options.

1. Go to site and park. De-winterize. Then pull the trailer back to the dump station to empty and re park.
    2. Go to site and park. De-winterize. Then use my portable dump tank to take multiple trips to the dump station until its empty.
    3. Go directly to the dump station and use the "clean" water hook up to flush the system.

Some advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
    My first question is, are you planning on sanitizing your system after you dewinterize it?

If no, then I would just purge the antifreeze using either compressed air or water into the grey (and black) tank and go about my merry way. You will only be putting about 2-5 gallons of antifreeze and water into the tank. You will be putting about 1/2 a gallon of water and antifreeze into the pad when you open your low point drains.

Just my two cents, adjusted for inflation of course.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to de-winterize?

I think you are over thinking it

Just hookup to water and rinse the system into your tanks. There won’t be that much
    I blow my lines out after I put antifreeze in them before winter so I have barely any in the system
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Only you, after observing the physical layout, can decide which version is the least hassle for you. You have to judge how easy/hard it is for you to de-camp to go to the dump vs using a tote. Or how big your tanks are, as to whether you can just add it in to the mix, and dump later. In most situations, using the dump station in the least amount of time (so others don't wait longer than needed for their turn) is preferred. Many do not have a potable water supply.

As noted, it won't be many gallons, even if you feel the need for prolonged rinsing. (RV Antifreeze is non-toxic, and trace amounts won't be noticeable). Don't forget to also rinse out low point drains and outside spray port connections - but that can just go on the ground.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could add water to the fresh tank then flush the lines before leaving, at a rest area, or at a truck stop along the way. Go to the dump station on your way to the campsite and you can start your stay with empty tanks.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, that helps. We're there a week so I know I'll be making portable tank trips to the dump station but wasn't sure if I wanted to start "clean". I also wasn't sure how safe anything is at the dump station even if it marked "Clean" water.

I wasn't planning to sanitize but I have been thinking more about it lately. We've never used our fresh tanks and wasn't sure if I could sanitize without using the fresh tank. Again, I have never looked into that procedure.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sutherlandjl View Post
    OK, that helps. We're there a week so I know I'll be making portable tank trips to the dump station but wasn't sure if I wanted to start "clean". I also wasn't sure how safe anything is at the dump station even if it marked "Clean" water.

I wasn't planning to sanitize but I have been thinking more about it lately. We've never used our fresh tanks and wasn't sure if I could sanitize without using the fresh tank. Again, I have never looked into that procedure.
    I have never sanitized the water systems of my trailers

My family is still alive

When you winterized next year maybe consider doing it differently
    I blow out my lines first then I fill the system with rv antifreeze. Then I open the low point drains into a bucket and dump that into all the drains and the toilet
    There isn’t any more than a quarter of a gallon of antifreeze left in the system
    Then just hook up the water when camping and rinse till the pink is gone,a gallon at most, then relax
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I have never sanitized the water systems of my trailers

My family is still alive

When you winterized next year maybe consider doing it differently
    I blow out my lines first then I fill the system with rv antifreeze. Then I open the low point drains into a bucket and dump that into all the drains and the toilet
    There isn’t any more than a quarter of a gallon of antifreeze left in the system
    Then just hook up the water when camping and rinse till the pink is gone,a gallon at most, then relax
    That's all we've ever done... Still kicking!
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    That's all we've ever done... Still kicking!
    Cockroach theory: that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger!
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R