User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know that you should check your level up torques...

But you put it off....Well, I finally got around to it after hearing a lot of what I thought was hydraulic related stiction noise in my level ups. It got me thinking about temperature related heating and cooling in different metals and whether that was what so many of us hear and attribute to stiction.

Long story short... Torqued the attachment bolts to 85 from ??? 60ish??? And voila... No more creaking and popping. I have treated stiction in this rig and wondered why it was happening again . Turns out it wasn't.

Hope this helps someone out there [emoji846]
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    But you put it off....Well, I finally got around to it after hearing a lot of what I thought was hydraulic related stiction noise in my level ups. It got me thinking about temperature related heating and cooling in different metals and whether that was what so many of us hear and attribute to stiction.

Long story short... Torqued the attachment bolts to 85 from ??? 60ish??? And voila... No more creaking and popping. I have treated stiction in this rig and wondered why it was happening again . Turns out it wasn't.

Thanks for posting, this may help someone else.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, wonder if that my problem. Only get the noises first thing in the morning when the sun come up and only from the jacks on the east side of the trailer.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the Level Up system on my rig, the mounting bolts have a pretty high torque spec. I adjusted the height of my jacks after installing snap pads and found out that I needed to torque the bolts (dry) to 120 ft-lbs.

For having to lay under my toy hauler on the ground and work between the frame and j-wrap, that's a lot of torque.

The installation manual is at https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001840.pdf & here's the torque needed ..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MountingBoltTorque.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	45232
    signature

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    For the Level Up system on my rig, the mounting bolts have a pretty high torque spec. I adjusted the height of my jacks after installing snap pads and found out that I needed to torque the bolts (dry) to 120 ft-lbs.

For having to lay under my toy hauler on the ground and work between the frame and j-wrap, that's a lot of torque.

The installation manual is at https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001840.pdf & here's the torque needed ..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MountingBoltTorque.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	45232
    There are a host of different torque values out there. I saw that and it seemed like a lot to me...conflicting info everywhere even in LCI docs.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's about right. Like it says, Grade 8 bolts. Torque values per bolt sizes and grades are pretty standard, unless there's crush problems. And that would be rotational torque, not friction torque.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a host of different torque values out there.
    For the looking I did, the spec for the OEM SAE J429 1/2x20 grade 8 bolts was pretty consistent.
    Truly I would have liked to have used less torque. The prone one-arm below-the-rig 120 ft-lb tricep press for 36 reps wasn't easy.
    ...conflicting info everywhere even in LCI docs.
    The only LCI document I could find talking about installation was the one I linked to. Do you have a pointer to the others?
    signature

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the looking I did, the spec for the OEM SAE J429 1/2x20 grade 8 bolts was pretty consistent.
    Truly I would have liked to have used less torque. The prone one-arm below-the-rig 120 ft-lb tricep press for 36 reps wasn't easy.

The only LCI document I could find talking about installation was the one I linked to. Do you have a pointer to the others?
    I don't. I read a bunch of threads and saw several different docs ... But should have probably just called GD. Nothing's ever easy [emoji846]
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read a bunch of threads and saw several different docs ...
    Understood. Not to demean this forum, but I have run into a number of posted opinions stated as facts.
    It's kind of what got us shunned from the "other" forum.

And opinions as facts isn't unique to mygrandrv .. I see it in almost every other topical discussion forum or group I read.

I hope I don't do it .. I try not to.
    signature

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understood. Not to demean this forum, but I have run into a number of posted opinions stated as facts.
    It's kind of what got us shunned from the "other" forum.

And opinions as facts isn't unique to mygrandrv .. I see it in almost every other topical discussion forum or group I read.

I hope I don't do it .. I try not to.
    I have a call into Lippert to hopefully get a straight answer.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast