User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Interesting as I have both a Honda 2000W and a newer Generac iq3500. What model was your Generac?
    It's mid 90's, non inverter. I am told the voltage regulators are a common failure on the older ones. The Honda and your Generac should do fine.
    2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent my first year with a T-mobile hotspot SIM card and a Visible SIM card that i would swap in my Netgear MR1100. Mostly used the Visible, but used T-Mobile when there were no Verizon towers near. Both worked very well in most places. I almost exclusively boondock, so I am almost always at or near the edge of cell service. I bought Starlink last year and used it in many remote locations. I used it in shaded places with tall pines that I was sure would prevent it from working. The worst I got was 95% uptime. That meant, for me, that there were 1-2 minute dropouts every hour. It never interrupted streaming video, and I am in virtual meetings all the time and never had a problem. I purposely set it up where I thought trees would block it, but it always worked. I did not set it up where the sky was more than 30% blocked, though. I know I could place it where it would definitely not work, I was just experimenting with how far I could go with reasonable thought to parking spot and setup spot. I am very happy with my SL. I have stopped the Visible and the T-Mobile hotspots.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand it, the new Starlink Roam is given lower priority than residential. On T-Mobile, when we use up our high speed data and it is throttled, we notice that it doesn't affect most things but we do have trouble with YouTube buffering; Netflix doesn't seem to be a problem. With Starlink will streaming YouTube or Netflix be an issue if the priority is lower than other users?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    As I understand it, the new Starlink Roam is given lower priority than residential. On T-Mobile, when we use up our high speed data and it is throttled, we notice that it doesn't affect most things but we do have trouble with YouTube buffering; Netflix doesn't seem to be a problem. With Starlink will streaming YouTube or Netflix be an issue if the priority is lower than other users?
    According to Starlink FAQ's,

"Starlink Roam (previously known as “Starlink for RVs”) provides immediate access to high-speed, low-latency internet on an as-needed basis at any destination where Starlink provides active coverage. Both Regional and Global plans are available.

Regional plans are geo-fenced to work on land within the same continent as the registered Shipping Address, while the Global plans work on land anywhere there is active service coverage. If you use Starlink in a foreign country for more than two months, you may be required to update your account to your new location. Starlink Roam provides Best Effort service – there is no priority access included in the plan."

The wording is confusing, "provides best effort service, then says there is no priority access.

I would pay the extra for Roam but not if it deprioritizes my residential service. I opened a support ticket asking to define best effort.
    2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsm180 View Post
    According to Starlink FAQ's,

"Starlink Roam (previously known as “Starlink for RVs”) provides immediate access to high-speed, low-latency internet on an as-needed basis at any destination where Starlink provides active coverage. Both Regional and Global plans are available.

Regional plans are geo-fenced to work on land within the same continent as the registered Shipping Address, while the Global plans work on land anywhere there is active service coverage. If you use Starlink in a foreign country for more than two months, you may be required to update your account to your new location. Starlink Roam provides Best Effort service – there is no priority access included in the plan."

The wording is confusing, "provides best effort service, then says there is no priority access.

I would pay the extra for Roam but not if it deprioritizes my residential service. I opened a support ticket asking to define best effort.
    Starlink's bandwidth is extremely high for a satcom link. With it being low orbit, the latency is low and the bandwidth can be very high. The fact they do not "prioritize" the traffic is not going to mean you are throttled like when you run your pre-paid SIM cards out of data. This just means they will not have any quality of service protections for the roaming users, because that is extremely complex to do that as you would need a dynamic policy and that policy would have to change based on users in the area, weather, etc. The more users in an area using the service, the less bandwidth you will get, but again, the service is quite good. I can not promise you that you wont buffer with any streaming service, but given the testing I have done, it should be solid and work well.
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One last question...with Starlink I look at the map and see that it shows "available" up throughout all of Canada and Alaska. But I have seen or read that above a certain northern parallel (cannot recall which) it does not work. Anyone know if they have improved the service to cover those areas, or if it is just an exaggeration of the map on their site?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have any experience with the RV version in Southeast Virginia? We are in the process of selling our house and will move into our Momentum soon and I am strongly leaning towards Starlink for internet. We will mainly be stationary at the Thousand Trails in Gloucester, VA until I retire from the Navy.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the RV version in Southeast Virginia? We are in the process of selling our house and will move into our Momentum soon and I am strongly leaning towards Starlink for internet. We will mainly be stationary at the Thousand Trails in Gloucester, VA until I retire from the Navy.
    FIRST OFF--- Thank You for your service!

That area has got good coverage from Starlink. I have not been there personally, but I know many people who work at my company in that area that has it and they are very happy with it. As long as you do not have an obstruction for the antenna, you should be good to go!

Good Luck
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msutoad View Post
    FIRST OFF--- Thank You for your service!

That area has got good coverage from Starlink. I have not been there personally, but I know many people who work at my company in that area that has it and they are very happy with it. As long as you do not have an obstruction for the antenna, you should be good to go!

Good Luck
    Thanks, I was hoping it would be good. We have a seasonal site lined up which looks like there shouldn't be too much tree coverage, but without leaves on the trees right now it's a guess. The site we chose isn't covered by any trees if I recall, so I'm thinking it should work out. [emoji1696]
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    I don't have any information on the lack of prioritization details, but I do know that I have made hundreds of SpeedTest tests of Visible, T-Mobile and Starlink in many different areas from city to urban to rural to wilderness, and the latency and speed, and especially the jitter, is far and away better and more consistent with Starlink than the cell services. Jitter is important for web meetings. Latency is actually more important than speed, in my case. I have had good speed, with very high latency, and could not stream anything. I have had very low speeds, speeds that many say you can't stream at, but good latency, and I have been able to stream whatever I want with a few interruptions.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast