Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wine Drawer

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Wine Drawer

We found ourselves at a our favorite winery with a killer deal on a case and months to go before we got home. We found a place for the box and proceeded to use that as our storage. Thus started the search for something better. There are wine fridges that are generally big, heavy, expensive and only 120V which is just too much for us. (and we aren't wine fanatics!)

So I found a half-baked solution for wine storage that may be useful to others. Our rig (and many like it) has 6 drawers under a counter, but they are just too small for most bottles, until I had an idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2023-03-09 14.15.37.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	45229

It will hold 11 US standard bottles, so we'll have to drink the first bottle ASAP. Odd sized ones will have to go elsewhere, we don't drink white wines so that helps. The drawer is 21" x 11" x 5" but has an inch of top clearance and 3" out the back. The extra space around drawers gave me the idea. The spacer blocks are 2x2 cut on a 45. They really want to be 1 5/8" on a side, but more padding will solve any issues. The padding is 1/8" x 2" closed cell weather striping. We'll put some padded shelf liner between rows of bottles.

Name:	2023-03-09 14.11.27.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	45230

So long as the drawer doesn't fall apart this should be nice. Being in the cabinetry gives a bit more insulation, and as it's the bottom drawer any heat build up should vent out easily. I'll post any problems that arise.

Cheers!
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be thankful your other half is not a sommelier... Guess how I know.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLight View Post
    We found ourselves at a our favorite winery with a killer deal on a case and months to go before we got home. We found a place for the box and proceeded to use that as our storage. Thus started the search for something better. There are wine fridges that are generally big, heavy, expensive and only 120V which is just too much for us. (and we aren't wine fanatics!)

So I found a half-baked solution for wine storage that may be useful to others. Our rig (and many like it) has 6 drawers under a counter, but they are just too small for most bottles, until I had an idea.

Name:	2023-03-09 14.15.37.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	45229

It will hold 11 US standard bottles, so we'll have to drink the first bottle ASAP. Odd sized ones will have to go elsewhere, we don't drink white wines so that helps. The drawer is 21" x 11" x 5" but has an inch of top clearance and 3" out the back. The extra space around drawers gave me the idea. The spacer blocks are 2x2 cut on a 45. They really want to be 1 5/8" on a side, but more padding will solve any issues. The padding is 1/8" x 2" closed cell weather striping. We'll put some padded shelf liner between rows of bottles.

Name:	2023-03-09 14.11.27.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	45230

So long as the drawer doesn't fall apart this should be nice. Being in the cabinetry gives a bit more insulation, and as it's the bottom drawer any heat build up should vent out easily. I'll post any problems that arise.

Cheers!
    Nice work, thanks for posting. Our 260RD came with a wine rack but I like your approach better.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice - I haven't found any drawer that I'd want to put any weight in. Just the stiff springs and interstate rides have forced me to re-attach drawer slides a few times. We've brought home a couple of bottles from HH locations and padded and stuffed them in pantry containers. We bring most of it back home for the season. But, there's a nice space under the rear sofa for bottles and two Rieslings from Idaho and Montana for this year's trip that I really like and can't get anywhere east.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you.

We had some cans and jars jump out of an upper cupboard, quite a mess. So we moved all the heavy stuff to a drawer. I've had my eye on it for 2 years filled, but so far so good. I've been thinking of how to reinforce the drawer bottom. Actually the top drawers have caused more issues, not much weight, but we get into them constantly. I also carry some replacement slides, HD has them quite cheap.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide