User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Probe1957 View Post
    That's weird. Maybe try having your wife hold the ramp thingy while you back up on to it.

Ya I could do that, her life insurance is paid up!
    Last edited by Bungy; 03-10-2023 at 04:25 PM.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like if you put the load of the rv on one axle you will overload that axle big time. Maybe better to just jack it up.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No ideas for building anything. I've got one of these that I have used successfully on twin axle boat trailers. Haven't had the occasion to use it on a travel trailer, but should work fine. My last boat and trailer weighed in a little more than my 22mle.

https://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Chock...s/EZ-JACK.html
    Last edited by JPS350; 03-10-2023 at 08:39 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    I know I can go buy a Camco or Anderson or other brand of "drive-on" Tire changing/leveling ramp, but I really like building things. Anyone build some that are proven to work? I know (I think) you need at least 5" of drive-up lift before you will get a tire off the ground so.....does anyone have any pictures of a DIY project of this?
    Anderson's or Camcos are $40-as much as you want to spend on ready made ramps and it MIGHT be the way I go, but I want to know what works for others.

I am an avid woodworker with boo-koo tools and have drawn up some out of 2x6's that I can make.

IF I buy some, please tell me what you have bought that works.....lol....just in case.

I take a 3 ton aluminum race jack on my trips, but like the idea of the drive-up ramp to change a flat.

Thanks all
    Ray
    I have Lynx levelers. I build a small ramp 3" with them and drive the good tire on it. Secure the trailer....usually it is hooked up to tow vehicle so it won't go anywhere but I chock anyways. I use a bottle jack on the axle of the flat tire between the ubolts. I only have to lift slightly as much of the load is on the other tire and that side is now higher than the other. No damage to axle at that point. I have aluminum jack stands and lift so tire is just off the ground and secure with jack stands. No extra stuff to bring except what I always carry. Keeps the weight down.

Note that I have dual axles. Doubt this would ever work on triple. The dealer suggested this and it works fine. You may have to slack the weight distribution. I changed out all my tires one at a time (Westlake to Goodyear) last year doing this. No issues. However, the weight distribution hitch was not engaged.

Regards
    Last edited by Petrovsky; 03-10-2023 at 09:26 PM.
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks fly, but but unless I'm wrong, if you jack an axle.....aren't you still overloading the other?
    So, unless I'm not understanding, jacking or riding one tire up a ramp to change a tire is the same.....just sayin.
    Thanks anyway.
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    Seems like if you put the load of the rv on one axle you will overload that axle big time. Maybe better to just jack it up.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After further thinking about it......I believe I understand. I was putting too much into what you were saying.
    I agree Fly.

UOTE=FlyStar;472046]Seems like if you put the load of the rv on one axle you will overload that axle big time. Maybe better to just jack it up.[/QUOTE]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you have a flat or blowout the weight will be on one axle regardless.

My experience has been that in order to jack up the flat tire I had to use an Anderson leveler to raise the good tire in order to fit a stubby bottle jack with a saddle under the axle with the flat. I don't think the Anderson leveler would have raised the good tire enough to work without the jack.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Thanks fly, but but unless I'm wrong, if you jack an axle.....aren't you still overloading the other?
    So, unless I'm not understanding, jacking or riding one tire up a ramp to change a tire is the same.....just sayin.
    Thanks anyway.
    Ray
    You don't overload either. You only need to lift the flat tire an 1" or so. Same as going over a small bump like a driveway entrance. The other tire is still on the ground supporting the trailer. The jacks supporting the axle with the flat tire. Nothings left unsupported.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We installed the MORRyde SRE-4000 equalizers and I was curious about using our Trailer-Aid drive on to change a tire. It was useless as the equalizers allow up to 4 inches of suspension travel.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you think about the SRE-4000 upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by leselmore View Post
    We installed the MORRyde SRE-4000 equalizers and I was curious about using our Trailer-Aid drive on to change a tire. It was useless as the equalizers allow up to 4 inches of suspension travel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast