User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire changing/leveling drive on ramp

I know I can go buy a Camco or Anderson or other brand of "drive-on" Tire changing/leveling ramp, but I really like building things. Anyone build some that are proven to work? I know (I think) you need at least 5" of drive-up lift before you will get a tire off the ground so.....does anyone have any pictures of a DIY project of this?
    Anderson's or Camcos are $40-as much as you want to spend on ready made ramps and it MIGHT be the way I go, but I want to know what works for others.

I am an avid woodworker with boo-koo tools and have drawn up some out of 2x6's that I can make.

IF I buy some, please tell me what you have bought that works.....lol....just in case.

I take a 3 ton aluminum race jack on my trips, but like the idea of the drive-up ramp to change a flat.

Thanks all
    Ray
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the last time I had a flat was in the 80s

If you have the space and weight for something like that I guess go for it
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, thanks NB.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a ramp on Amazon. It works fine to lift the rear tires, but to lift the front I need 2 2x8s under the ramp. The hitch resists the front from lifting without that extra help.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jleonard....appreciate it.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    I know I can go buy a Camco or Anderson or other brand of "drive-on" Tire changing/leveling ramp, but I really like building things. Anyone build some that are proven to work? I know (I think) you need at least 5" of drive-up lift before you will get a tire off the ground so.....does anyone have any pictures of a DIY project of this?
    Anderson's or Camcos are $40-as much as you want to spend on ready made ramps and it MIGHT be the way I go, but I want to know what works for others.

I am an avid woodworker with boo-koo tools and have drawn up some out of 2x6's that I can make.

IF I buy some, please tell me what you have bought that works.....lol....just in case.

I take a 3 ton aluminum race jack on my trips, but like the idea of the drive-up ramp to change a flat.

Thanks all
    Ray
    I bought the Anderson ones, biggest pos I’ve ever owned. Tried to use them once and couldn’t get the tire to ride up onto them, kept skidding backwards. I’ll sell ‘em cheap if you want!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    I bought the Anderson ones, biggest pos I’ve ever owned. Tried to use them once and couldn’t get the tire to ride up onto them, kept skidding backwards. I’ll sell ‘em cheap if you want!
    Did you try putting the rubber mat under the leveling block? Supposedly that works on slippery surfaces.
    2023 Reflection 297RSTS
    2020 F-250 Power Stroke

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Probe1957 View Post
    Did you try putting the rubber mat under the leveling block? Supposedly that works on slippery surfaces.
    Yes I did, all it did was roll up under the ramp.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's weird. Maybe try having your wife hold the ramp thingy while you back up on to it.

2023 Reflection 297RSTS
    2020 F-250 Power Stroke

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they are a waste for trailers that have any type of equalizer between the wheels. I had the Trailer Aid Plus years ago and tried using it. Got on the ramp fine, but the flat tire stayed on the ground because of the flexibility in the suspension. Look into Safe Jack, or the jack stands that have a built in bottle jack. I'd post a picture, but I'm having trouble doing so currently
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast