User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    droidguru

Atwood Refrigerator Problems - Propane

I have a couple of questions about an Atwood Fridge that works fine on electric but the propane won't fire up.

The problem is either with the POWER BOARD or the IGNITOR ELECTRODE, I haven't figured out which yet but all of the fuses look fine on the board.

1. Do I contact GD or Atwood about getting parts for the repair (the entire rig is still under warranty)?

2. I know GD is good about getting parts out for repairs but how is Atwood, never had to deal with them before? If the answer to #1 is Atwood does anyone have a contact there? What info do they need just the serial number?

3. I cleaned out the tube and I can clearly hear the propane turning on and smell it coming out, it is only the igniter not arcing (but I can hear clicking). Again the fuses all look good and I have vacuumed out the burner tube and cleaned the starter. Anyone have any other tips or tricks I can try to get this going in the near term?

Thanks for any and all help.
    Last edited by droidguru; 08-04-2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Added details based on comments below.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you hear the ignitor firing? It makes a clicking sound. You can't really tell by looking at fuses as sometimes they fool you. Then to rule out any propane issues, use a BBQ lighter to light the pilot and go from there.
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 F350 Dually CC LB 6.7L

droidguru
    Quote Originally Posted by luckeyd1 View Post
    Do you hear the ignitor firing? It makes a clicking sound. You can't really tell by looking at fuses as sometimes they fool you. Then to rule out any propane issues, use a BBQ lighter to light the pilot and go from there.
    I do hear clicking but I don't see an arc. I haven't manually lit it yet but I can try that, I'm assuming it will light since I can smell the gas.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be the gap is set too wide. Light it with a lighter to rule our propane. Also, it will click a few times and then do a shut off. You must wait a few minutes before trying again. Manuel states how long, but I don't have it handy.
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS

droidguru
    Quote Originally Posted by luckeyd1 View Post
    Could be the gap is set too wide. Light it with a lighter to rule our propane. Also, it will click a few times and then do a shut off. You must wait a few minutes before trying again. Manuel states how long, but I don't have it handy.
    Sounds good I will give it a try tonight and report back tomorrow morning, thanks for the advice!

droidguru
    I actually think it is 3/16 for the gap btw (I'll double check) but good advice for people to know.

droidguru
    So I was able to manually light the propane, the clicking I am hearing appears to be the propane and not the triple click that the igniter is supposed to sound when trying to light.

We are back to square one, the board does not appear to be sending a signal to the igniter. I replaced all three fuses with no luck, my guess is the board is bad.

Back to my original question:

1. Do I contact GD or Atwood about getting parts for the repair (the entire rig is still under warranty)?

2. I know GD is good about getting parts out for repairs but how is Atwood, never had to deal with them before? If the answer to #1 is Atwood does anyone have a contact there? What info do they need just the serial number?

I'll probably give GD a call today and see what they have to say about it. Thanks again.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote for option 1, contact GD since you are still under warranty.
    Don & Judy
    Charlotte - SPCA Special

2014 Reflection 303RLS

droidguru
    Just talked to Jerry at GD and he said Atwood won't just send parts I need to take it to a service center and have the board/igniter replaced. Seems kind of crazy to me since I can do the work for free but the local RV shop charges $150 just to look at it, but whatever $300-$500 for a $10-$50 repair just makes good business sense!

First rule in government spending: why build one when you can have two at twice the price?

Happy Camping!

droidguru
    For those who are scoring from the seats the rig is now at the dealer for repair. Will post the outcome when I hear from the dealer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast