Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Underbelly

Had to remove underbelly and insulation, ice maker line broke. Has anyone used closed cell foam board instead of the batten insulation?

It is a mess underneath, glad I'm getting a chance to fix things but wished it wasn't at Imperial Dam LTVA. There is a lot of rub wear on the PEX lines where it runs through the frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20230310_174127.jpg  
    2019 F450 CC
    2021 Momentum 395MS-R

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might as well clean up as much as possible, won't get a chance like that again. Maybe put some kind of chaffing protection over the rails where the pex is located or fasten the pex higher up so it isn't touching the rails.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping that I never get a reason to open my underbelly cause I know what a mess it will be and all the hours I'll have to put in to make it bright. As for closed cell foam, why not. It has a better R rating than open cell but is heavier. How about using foam board?
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktnissen View Post
    Had to remove underbelly and insulation, ice maker line broke. Has anyone used closed cell foam board instead of the batten insulation?

It is a mess underneath, glad I'm getting a chance to fix things but wished it wasn't at Imperial Dam LTVA. There is a lot of rub wear on the PEX lines where it runs through the frame.
    I had mine down, both front and back recently. I thought about putting back XPS, but there really wasn’t enough room between the bottom of the tanks and bottom of the frame. I didn’t have enough time anyway then. Another thing that would be nice is to insulate the inside of the frame. I did add a 1”x2” cross member between the one that was there, and the tank drains. That’s the heavy end of the tanks, and the lack of support was frightening. There is no way that lasts long-term. All the construction sawdust, wire pieces, stripped insulation ends, etc. all over the fiberglass was a nice touch from the factory…

I had the front down because I goofed and filled the gray tank. It leaked about 2-3 gallons out around the donut where the pipe enters the tank. Fiberglass was of course wet, and I doubt that would ever dry out properly. That’s where something like XPS foam board would be nice…it doesn’t accept water, at least not readily.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The space is a mess. I have even pulled out wiring that was not connected to anything, both ends, plus they are using 12v wire runs to tie 110v wire run to metal the frame. The amount of wear on all the wires hoses running through the frame. Going to wrap all through frame wires and hoses in foam.

The heated underbelly furnace pipe went to the least useful spot, between the frame and one water tank, right in to a big wad of insulation. Going to move the pipe so it is centeraly located for best heating.

This is the 6th time the underbelly had been off, once by a dealer in Oregon, three times by Grand Design and now twice by me. Last time was at the factory five months ago for leaking issues. All for water leaks from the blue flexible hoses. Those are getting replaced as well. I replaced what I could when I put a manifold water system in but could not get to the blue flexible hoses since I "Didnt" want to remove the belly, yet again.

Grand Design is sending me a replacement underbelly, as a good will gesture. I appreciate the "Good Will" since it is out of warranty. It would have been better if they repaired the issues properly at the factory so I didn't have to ask them them.
    2019 F450 CC
    2021 Momentum 395MS-R

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for venturing into this area and for your info!

Now I'm both wanting to pull my underbelly to preemptively clean things up and afraid of what I might find there.

Since you have it off, can you take some photos of the tank support areas and give your assessment? Especially the fresh water tanks. I sometimes need to go boondocking for many days down some rough roads and knowing the supports I might be stressing would be helpful. TIA!
    signature

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230311_102220.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	45245

Here is the wire securing wire
    2019 F450 CC
    2021 Momentum 395MS-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to suggest it, but as some one who wants their Momentum to last as long as possible, I would pull the belly. Always meant to do it sooner and the last time I did it, was at the roadside on the way to Alaska so nothing got done other than pulling out wet insulation and putting the belly back on. I am glad the weather is warm here in Yuma, would not want to do this back in Alaska.

Here are pictures of how the tanks are secured. I feel better After seeing them, and I might put a strap for reinforcement, but it is really overkill. One thing I am not happy with, was my hydraulic lines ending up between the tank and the support bracket. Several lines like that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230311_111927.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	45246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230311_111912.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	45247Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230311_111853.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	45248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230311_111820.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	45249

I apologize for my lack of picture taking, editing and placing in to the forum. I also apologize for my lack of inserting quotes. I could blame it on the phone and age but I didn't up in infantry for my technical skills. Lol. Some of us where just designed to carry heavy loads, I blame my ancestry and genes.
    2019 F450 CC
    2021 Momentum 395MS-R

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktnissen View Post
    I feel better After seeing them, and I might put a strap for reinforcement, but it is really overkill.
    Thank you so much for those photos! That gives me 100x more information than I had before on that area. Much appreciated!
    signature

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rigid insulation was out for me as too many things hang below the frame. My cover just flexes around it all.

I did some things you might consider.
    -Mounted weather stripping tape (1/8 x 2) around the perimeter to help sealing. I generally sealed up as much as possible!
    -Used batt insulation, but glued to to the belly cover with spray glue. This helps keep it in place when installing the cover and during travel or future work.
    -Cut the cover into 4' pieces with 2x2 cross members for attachment. No more all or nothing removal. (Pine 2x2 weighs 1/4 of hem/fir 2x4)
    -Used belly cover tape, and cleaned the cover well before hand. Heat, wind, water, and grit will degrade duck type tape.

I wish I had put insulation on the frame rails. Steel is a lousy insulator!
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast