User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jaboni wire search

First time poster/reader. I have a 2022 290BH with a Jaboni box on the roof and want to know where the wiring from the box goes so I can connect my controller? In the battery compartment, there is a red/black and red wire with a Wago221 connector on the red wire and a separate green wire connect to the same Wago221 connector leading to the inverter connection. The red/black wire is also for the inverter.
    I plan on installing 2-100W panels in a series.
    With this setup, do I only need a controller and no inverter?
    Again, are the wires described above coming from the Jaboni or are they in the RV somewhere? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
    Jim

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arizonalifer View Post
    First time poster/reader. I have a 2022 290BH with a Jaboni box on the roof and want to know where the wiring from the box goes so I can connect my controller? In the battery compartment, there is a red/black and red wire with a Wago221 connector on the red wire and a separate green wire connect to the same Wago221 connector leading to the inverter connection. The red/black wire is also for the inverter.
    I plan on installing 2-100W panels in a series.
    With this setup, do I only need a controller and no inverter?
    Again, are the wires described above coming from the Jaboni or are they in the RV somewhere? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
    Jim
    First off @arizonalifer, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have correctly identified the wiring, a multi-meter could be useful to be sure everything is what you expect. For nearly all solar installations a controller is essential. You'll want to run the cabling from your solar panels to the solar in ports on the controller. The outputs could go directly to the batteries, although you might want to install bus bars. It is also a good idea to have a cut-off switch inline from the panels to the controller.

The inverter comes in if you need to convert DC (12-volt) battery into AC current. You'll need a fuse between your bus bar/batteries and the inverter. Take a look around on the forum, you'll find plenty of folks who have done similar projects and left tips on how to do it yourself.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Stephen and Judy,
    Thank you for your response. I was able to determine how I will wire it. I won’t be using an inverter so where’s the best place to determine which controller to use with my panels?
    2-100W Top Solar panels
    Maximum Power at STC*: 100 Watt
    Maximum Power Current (lmpp): 5.34A
    Maximum Power Voltage (Vmpp): 18.71V
    Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 22.24V
    Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 5.66A
    Thank you,
    Jim

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arizonalifer View Post
    Hi Stephen and Judy,
    Thank you for your response. I was able to determine how I will wire it. I won’t be using an inverter so where’s the best place to determine which controller to use with my panels?
    2-100W Top Solar panels
    Maximum Power at STC*: 100 Watt
    Maximum Power Current (lmpp): 5.34A
    Maximum Power Voltage (Vmpp): 18.71V
    Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 22.24V
    Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 5.66A
    Thank you,
    Jim
    Hi arizonalifer,

Welcome to the forum!

In series your panels will carry to the controller 44.48 volts and 10.78 amps. Amps are what’s important here for controller sizing. While your current system is a bit more than 10 amps, using the 25% rule you would need min 14 amps. So you could easily get by with a 20 amp controller. Most people over time add panels, so building that is would be prudent. 40 amp MPPT would be the way to go for me.
    You got great advice from Soundsailor to use bus bars and cutoffs. You can add circuit breakers on either side as isolators or manual switch. Either choice is a good idea.

Love to see pictures!

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP, you might want to allow for future expansions and maybe at least double the sizing of your components...BTDT.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue