Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Chevy 3500 & B&W Slider

I now have a new 2023 Chevy 3500 and just had a B&W slider hitch installed. It's a puck mount for the fifth wheel prep. In looking at things after the install, I'm wondering if you are supposed to be able to see the ground from the bed of the truck. The Chevy plastic pieces for the puck were removed, which I think is correct. I was just surprised that the hole in the bed was not covered up. Anyone else have a new Chevy & B&W slider?
    Attachment 45253Attachment 45252
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot 2023-03-11 183248.jpg   Screenshot 2023-03-11 183221.jpg  
    Keith & Mandy
    2023 Chevy 3500 LTZ, Crew Cab, Standard Bed, 4WD, 6.6L Duramax, B&W Companion Slider
    2024 Solitude S-Class 2930RL, 8K axles w/ Disc Brakes, 660W Solar

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Structurally it's OK. The hitch didn't come with some replacement inserts for the solid caps that were removed?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Structurally it's OK. The hitch didn't come with some replacement inserts for the solid caps that were removed?

Rob
    I'm not sure if there were inserts. I bought a bed cover, tool box and hitch all together and they only charged $150 to install everything. A guy showed me how the hitch worked after he installed it. The handle on the jaws looked loose and when I questioned him, he realized he forget to put 2 bolts in. That was concerning wondering whether he knew what the heck he was doing. Not ever having had a fifth wheel before, I wasn't sure what to look for. A couple of days later I noticed I was able to see the ground from the bed.

I got in a chat conversation with B&W and showed them the pictures and they "thought" it looked ok. I didn't get a good feeling that the B&W person knew whether there was supposed to be something else installed there either. So I decided to post here and see what the community thinks. Also, maybe I'll contact B&W again.
    Keith & Mandy
    2023 Chevy 3500 LTZ, Crew Cab, Standard Bed, 4WD, 6.6L Duramax, B&W Companion Slider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had the B&W Companion slider also installed on my Ram. My Ram puck mount opening must be slightly smaller so no space is left to see through. One thing you should do is to check the polyurethane bushings on the pivot arms holding the hitch head. After dealer installed mine I went home and started reading the manual. I'm sure most dealer's and installers are pretty good but I tend to recheck stuff for myself. Mmm , what is this unopened packet of lithium grease stapled to the installation manual for? For the pivot arm bushings. So now my bushings are greased per the installation instructions. Guess dealer/installer missed this. Needed to readjust the hitch height also once I hooked up. I had a Reese slider but that's another story for another day.

Good luck with the new truck!
    Tom
    Tom and Sandi
    2017 337RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, package of grease is still stapled to the instruction manual. I hope to be ordering my 5th wheel in a couple of weeks, so I'll wait to put the grease on before I pick up the trailer.
    Keith & Mandy

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithH63 View Post
    Yep, package of grease is still stapled to the instruction manual. I hope to be ordering my 5th wheel in a couple of weeks, so I'll wait to put the grease on before I pick up the trailer.
    Don't grease the fifth wheel plate - get one of the plastic discs. They last forever, provide better protection, and aren't nearly as messy. Aplly a thin film of grease around the pin itself and the mating surfaces of the jaw(s) on the hitch.

Back to the openings for the puck. I have a Pull-Rite hitch and it comes with heavy machined brass "washers" (they aren't really washers - they just call them that) that the hitch sits on and the locking pins go through. The flanges on these washers cover the entire hole in the bed. B&W's setup is probably different.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithH63 View Post
    I now have a new 2023 Chevy 3500 and just had a B&W slider hitch installed. It's a puck mount for the fifth wheel prep. In looking at things after the install, I'm wondering if you are supposed to be able to see the ground from the bed of the truck. The Chevy plastic pieces for the puck were removed, which I think is correct. I was just surprised that the hole in the bed was not covered up. Anyone else have a new Chevy & B&W slider?
    Attachment 45253Attachment 45252
    I have the B&W Companion hitch on my new GMC Long Bed truck using the puck system and only use the puck covers when I have the hitch removed. I can see some space around the pucks when I remove the covers. I think that's "normal" for how they have the holes cut out.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    I have the B&W Companion hitch on my new GMC Long Bed truck using the puck system and only use the puck covers when I have the hitch removed. I can see some space around the pucks when I remove the covers. I think that's "normal" for how they have the holes cut out.
    Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. It looked weird and never having a hitch, I just needed confirmation from someone who has the same system.
    Keith & Mandy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a Chevy, its a Ford,and the puck system has a collar around the attachment point for the hitch that covers the outside edges of the hole and then I use the puck covers when the hitch is out of the truck.I do have a B&W slider hitch.
    Sorry for the dirty pictures,its been a few minutes since I've gotten to clean the bed of the truck

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hitch 2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	45422
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hitch 3.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	45423
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hitch 1.jpg  
    Last edited by nuggett; 03-17-2023 at 08:43 PM.
    2019 351M
    2019 F350 (rear lowered 2" w/airbags)
    B&W Companion slider, Titan 55 gal. fuel tank.
    2018 RZR XP 1000