User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can a camera be added to the garmin 785

Supposedly there was a camera that was able to be connected to the garmin RV 785 but is not sold anymore through them so I am wondering if anyone else has connected a camera to theirs. It would be nice to be able to connect a battery operated camera to it to use as a rear view camera to help with hitching the fifth wheel. Didn't have a bed view camera on the other truck so it's not like it would be the end of the world.
    Neil & Diane Kemp
    2023 3500 GMC Sierra SLE with Duramax/Allison
    2022 150 Series 295RL, Disk Brake Conversion Kit, Solar Panels added.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can't find one, I picked up a battery powered camera that connects to my phone and it works pretty well. I can't see my hitch because of the tool box. The camera was only about $50, and does help.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    If you can't find one, I picked up a battery powered camera that connects to my phone and it works pretty well. I can't see my hitch because of the tool box. The camera was only about $50, and does help.
    Definitely thought about that so what camera did you get? How do you have yours set up. If I can't find a camera that will work with the germin than I will go with the phone. I just figure if I'm hooking up the trailer more than likely i'll have the garmin out for traveling.
    Neil & Diane Kemp

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Garmin BC 35 is still available on Amazon. It is wireless from transmitter to the Rv785, but the transmitter requires 12v. I wired mine to the park lights.
    2017 Solitude ST360RL
    Victron solar
    2005 Ram 3500 DRW
    Retired, Full time since 09/2021

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by savagkd View Post
    The Garmin BC 35 is still available on Amazon. It is wireless from transmitter to the Rv785, but the transmitter requires 12v. I wired mine to the park lights.
    Yes in fact I even contacted them yesterday about that to see if they had one that was battery operated and was told that they don't carry them any more. I'm trying to find something for the bed view to hitch up the fifth wheel. Since this is my first GMC/diesel and didn't want to go used and didn't want to go full on crazy spending 90-100k. I thoughti could come up with an alternative to help hook up. Why a company would not include a bed view camera with the fifthwheel prep is beyond me. But thats just me. Had to do without a bed view camera on the last truck, I should be alright without one on this one. Lol
    Neil & Diane Kemp

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NAKemp View Post
    Definitely thought about that so what camera did you get? How do you have yours set up. If I can't find a camera that will work with the germin than I will go with the phone. I just figure if I'm hooking up the trailer more than likely i'll have the garmin out for traveling.
    This is the one I bought, but it sure was a lot less when I bought it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHcHh9ZnLvc Pretty lame video, but you get the idea.

I like that it's battery operated so I didn't have to mess with wiring, and I can put it where I want it. I put it on the hitch head so I can see exactly where the pin is going. Not the best picture quality, but it works. TBH, I'm not sure that I would pay what they want for it now, 50% more than what I paid.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 03-12-2023 at 09:11 AM.
    Howard and Peggy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    This is the one I bought, but it sure was a lot less when I bought it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHcHh9ZnLvc Pretty lame video, but you get the idea.

I like that it's battery operated so I didn't have to mess with wiring, and I can put it where I want it. I put it on the hitch head so I can see exactly where the pin is going. Not the best picture quality, but it works. TBH, I'm not sure that I would pay what they want for it now, 50% more than what I paid.
    Definitely looks like a good option. Thanks for that. When I pulled up the link and saw the video! Quality didn't look that bad. As far as the price goes it is what it is. With the new truck, although it didn't come with the bed view camera it does have the push button tailgate and just had the power operated tonneau cover installed friday. And since the 295 has the jacks that I can control with the phone I will be almost totally automated. Lol
    Neil & Diane Kemp

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only complaint with the picture quality was the darkness, and part of that could be where it's placed.
    Howard and Peggy