User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    i normally do archery/muzzle loader hunts, but this year being down from shoulder surgery, archery is likely not gonna be possible. so i took a long shot choice at a bull elk rifle tag,,, and got it!!!!! am super stoked as i did not think i could ever draw that tag. i am pretty sure i am starting physical therapy in about 10 days, and this is huge incentive for me on road to recovery.
    I am very jealous Dog! It has always been a dream to go on a western elk hunt. Of all the wild game I have eaten, elk is by far and away my favorite.

Good luck on your recovery and good luck on the hunt! Be sure to post photo’s afterwards.

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    the best tasting one i ever tagged was my first one. a 5x5 sattelite bull. after that, i kept getting my second choice cow tags. i was batting .500 with them and decided to quit putting in for them and focus only on large bulls. my success rate went way down, but i have become a much better hunter since being selective ..i let a LOT walk away. the surest way to never tag a big one is to take the first one that you see.
    a few years after julie took that big one, which did not taste good at all. (probably as he was the herd bull, and she shot him as he was mounting one of his cows..) i had been watching a 7x7 grow all year. i had blind setup where he was hanging out. determined to get a shot, i spent almost all day there every day. just taking a lunch break when julie relieved me.one day during lunch, julie called me. she said my 7 point was in view, and she wanted me to get the shot, as i was the one had been working so hard for it. i told her if she had a shot, to take it. she protested, saying she already had a big one. i told that the big ones do not make many mistakes, and if he made one on her watch, that she needed to take him as it might be the only mistake he made. as it turned out, she said he never came into range. and we went home empty. it was a great hunt.

Maybe just the difference between guys and gals. She shot him as he was mounting a cow. A guy would have waited until he was done. lol
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What unit in Arizona did you draw.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did your elk hunt turn out?

I went to Colorado on a 3rd rifle season hunt in an OTC unit. Got very close to pulling the trigger but some other hunters bumped him right before we could get a shot off.
    Zach & Laura + 2 boys
    2022 GD Reflection 150 268BH
    Previous - 2018 Heartland Pioneer PI322
    2022 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Cummins

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    Completely different system than whitetail in Missouri. An elk hunt out west is on my bucket list. Good luck!
    Yea... we just run them whitetails down with our vehicles here in MO - no tags required!

Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123