User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turning Point and Curt Crosswing

I put a deposit down on 278bh this week upgrading to my first 5er from an imagine 2400bh. I have now spent the last couple days researching a hitch.
    My truck is a 22 GMC 3500 with the 6'10" bed and factory puck system.
    I really like the Curt Crosswing for the weight (we are weekend warriors and I sometimes need my bed space) to get it out of the bed. However, I contacted etrailer and they said I have to have the curt adapter rails to use the turning point feature. I would like to use it locked out and get the goose ball version but im worried about clearances when turning and with the bed rails.

I have searched the forum and there is some people using it with the turning point hitch

how is your clearance and do you use it locked or take advantage of the turning point feature.

For those who do use the turning point feature, if you have the new one does the bearing come out the bottom now or do you still have to drop the pin box every year to pack the bearings.

As this is my first 5er I welcome any advice. Our trailer won't be here till mid April and ill be on a work trip till May picking it up only a week or so before we try and go camping for Memorial Day weekend.

Thanks
    Dave

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. I have a 278bh and first want to say congrats. It’s a great floorplan and I’d buy it again. I tow with an F-350 short bed and yes I use the turning point feature. You paid for it so why not use it. It does not have any issues with sway or stability and if you just remember to hitch it straight you will be fine. The hitch you are describing does not use the pucks and it is not a 5th wheel hitch and I’m not sure if it would be a good idea to use it since you have to buy a rail adapter. You are better off just getting an Andersen. I use a standard B&W Companion hitch that uses your puck system. I have been happy with it so far and I like that I can put things in the bed of my truck. The maintenance is the same on the new ones. The castle nut is exposed but you still have to remove the lower portion of the pinbox to grease it. If you want to lock it out I would probably try the Andersen. Good luck with your choice. FWIW I did the maintenance on the turning point this year and with a helper or 2 it’s not bad. If you aren’t ready for heavy lifting I’d probably lock it out.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH (150)
    2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Godzilla SRW
    B&W Companion Ford OEM 20k with Turning Point

2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 gas (SOLD)
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 21BHE (SOLD)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @davehtutk

I have a SB F-350 and use the Turning Point with a Curt A16 hitch with adapter legs for the puck system. This hitch is quite light and comes apart in two pieces so install/removal from the truck bed is easy.

Used this set up with both my 260RD and new 295RL and am very happy with its performance. One thing to remember if you are going to use the Turning Point is that the GD factory wedge that comes with the trailer is not compatible with all hitches. Refer to pages 4-5 of the manual for selection of the proper wedge. With the Curt A16, I use the Reese 31016.

On my '23 295RL the castle nut is located on the bottom of the pin box for easy access. Haven't done a bearing service yet, but I believe the procedure is to lock out the Turning Point function, then remove the castle nut a bearing. By locking out the pin box assembly is held in place. This is also outlined in page 12 of the manual.

Enjoy the new trailer.
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Added the Turning Point manual
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turning Point.pdf  

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
    @davehtutk

I have a SB F-350 and use the Turning Point with a Curt A16 hitch with adapter legs for the puck system. This hitch is quite light and comes apart in two pieces so install/removal from the truck bed is easy.

Used this set up with both my 260RD and new 295RL and am very happy with its performance. One thing to remember if you are going to use the Turning Point is that the GD factory wedge that comes with the trailer is not compatible with all hitches. Refer to pages 4-5 of the manual for selection of the proper wedge. With the Curt A16, I use the Reese 31016.

On my '23 295RL the castle nut is located on the bottom of the pin box for easy access. Haven't done a bearing service yet, but I believe the procedure is to lock out the Turning Point function, then remove the castle nut a bearing. By locking out the pin box assembly is held in place. This is also outlined in page 12 of the manual.

Enjoy the new trailer.
    You can’t remove the bearing this way. You can’t really even inspect it. I looked at them last week. The issue is that the center pin still slides into the bearing. The only way to service it is to remove the lower unit. It’s really not a great design.
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH (150)
    2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Godzilla SRW
    B&W Companion Ford OEM 20k with Turning Point

2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 gas (SOLD)
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 21BHE (SOLD)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
    Hi. I have a 278bh and first want to say congrats. It’s a great floorplan and I’d buy it again. I tow with an F-350 short bed and yes I use the turning point feature. You paid for it so why not use it. It does not have any issues with sway or stability and if you just remember to hitch it straight you will be fine. The hitch you are describing does not use the pucks and it is not a 5th wheel hitch and I’m not sure if it would be a good idea to use it since you have to buy a rail adapter. You are better off just getting an Andersen. I use a standard B&W Companion hitch that uses your puck system. I have been happy with it so far and I like that I can put things in the bed of my truck. The maintenance is the same on the new ones. The castle nut is exposed but you still have to remove the lower portion of the pinbox to grease it. If you want to lock it out I would probably try the Andersen. Good luck with your choice. FWIW I did the maintenance on the turning point this year and with a helper or 2 it’s not bad. If you aren’t ready for heavy lifting I’d probably lock it out.
    Thanks for the post, while not technically a fifth wheel hitch it is closer to a fifth wheel than an Anderson which is more of a gooseball attachment, which is something I do no want. Thanks for the info on the service. I also contact curt to learn more about the updated turning points and service on it and I glad to know that you now dont have to pull the entire hitch off, before you had to take it off at the base and realign all 8 bolts. That makes me less concerned about servicing it, but I would still rather use the hitch locked out vs turning. I would have ordered a different pin box if it was an option.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This what curt confirmed with me as well, they say you pull the castle nut and drop the lower half to get to the bearing. The nice part is not having to line up he mounting bolts

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been towing 5th wheels with a short bed for decades and have never needed my slider function or the turning point. No issues so far...depends on shape and location of the front cap.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Grandesigner

Just curious what hitch you are using as we have the same truck towing a 150 series trailer in case I decide to lock mine out.

I have used the Turning Point with both my trailers with no issues, although I did manage to run the trailer into the HMCBL when I had the short box F-150.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's currently a Curt 16k with slider base, but used to be another brand. Both my trucks have been 6.75' bed Fords. I can see the little F150 bed being a problem...
    My cap is rounded and the front of it is pretty much above the pin. Same for previous 5Ws.
    Last edited by Grandesigner; 03-17-2023 at 10:32 AM.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast