User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with others' comments about whether or not the water is left running the entire time or paused between rinses. There's no way you can use an RV shower like a typical home shower unless you have a tankless heater. We never run out with our 6 gal water heater but we both exercise the pause method. To make that easier, we installed a valve at the faucet which the shower hose attaches to. It makes it easier to turn the water on and off than using the button on the stock shower head. Pretty sure an upgraded shower head works better but we've never felt a need to upgrade once I put the valve in.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t start off with all hot. It’s a mixture until I get the right temp for me.(don’t like hot hot showers). But after about 1 minute I have to adjust the hot water because it’s getting too cold At 6 minutes I have adjusted it to all hot and it’s all cold.
    I think I’m explaining this right

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna2223 View Post
    Tech says you can’t adjust temp. Manual doesn’t say anything about adjusting temperature
    Correct. No temp control on a Suburban water heater.

Try this....

1. Turn the water off coming into your camper;
    2. Turn you water heater off;
    3. Open your bathroom faucet hot and cold taps (if single lever put in in the full on and middle position);
    4. Open the low water point drains and when open, flip open the water heater blow-off valve (the brass valve at the top of the water heater) for about 5 seconds and then close it;
    5. Turn off the low point drains;
    6. Turn the water on again to your camper;
    7. When the hissing and sputtering of air stops at your bathroom faucet shut the water off;
    8. Turn the water heater on;
    9. Wait a good 30 minutes for the water to re-heat before taking a shower.

All this assumes that somehow there is an air pocket the water heater (very unlikely) but it doesn't hurt to re-establish the water pocket.

TELL US THIS
    Do you run the water constantly when you shower or do use the "Navy" method?

Want to know how much water you use when you shower?.....
    • Time how many seconds it takes to fill a one gallon bucket at your normal rate of flow when showering (just run the shower hose into a container);
    • Time how many seconds you let the water run when showering;
    • You can now calculate your shower water consumption (minutes spent showering with water running = time running water in shower divided by time to fill one gallon container).

Hopefully some of this will help.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never take a "Navy" shower, my water runs until I'm done. We have a 12 gallon Suburban and I've never run out of hot water. And I use only electricity, not propane.

Just for curiosity's sake I heated some water to 125°, and it didn't really feel all that hot. You wouldn't be able to add much cold to it before it was too cold. So it might be that at 123° the OP is using a lot of hot and not much cold, thus running out of water quickly. Just a thought anyway.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^I've taken long showers without running out of hot if we're leaving that day & have lots of room in the grey tank (we camp a lot without sewer hookups), & don't run out of HW. 12 gal. HWH tank just on elect.
    Last edited by Gronk1; 03-13-2023 at 05:27 PM.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    123* doesnt seem hot enough. Maybe the internal thermostat is malfunctioning.
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LanerC View Post
    123* doesnt seem hot enough. Maybe the internal thermostat is malfunctioning.
    Good point. I believe the typical temp is 140 or so isn't it? The reason is so that you can lower the hot water using more cold which makes the heated water last longer. Otherwise, as is happening here, you end up using more hot water early in the cycle and run out faster. I'm still not sure my expectation would be that I can leave the water run the entire time, but then I've never had a 12 gallon tank either.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a google search on replacement thermostats for Suburbans. Mostly they seem to 130 degrees but there are also 140 degree units too.

140 degrees is pretty hot - maybe too hot. 120 degrees would work but as someone said it would require more hot water.

I suppose where one is has a lot to do with how long the hot water will last too. I know I use more hot water in the mix when in cold weather just because of the very cold water being mixed.

One other thought has to do with the water pressure. If it is high then wouldn't more water run in a shorter time?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a thermostat in the Suburban set to 130F. It is not adjustable. That's in the Suburban manual. There also is a manual reset on the thermostat which kicks off at 180F and can not be reset until water temperature drops below 110F.

Agree with @traveldawg that high water pressure could also cause an earlier loss of hot water and cold temp of water coming in.
    Last edited by ajg617; 03-13-2023 at 06:59 PM.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I would be very surprised. My 6 gallon has never run out of hot water with multiple showers back to back and that is just on electricity and not dual heat
    That's definitely not the norm on a lot of the newer Grand Designs, especially with that new fancy shower system. The higher flow rate chews through the hot water. Do you know what your flow rate of your shower head is? The 395 we had got up to about 2.7gpm on average, but could get over 3 if the city water supported it.

I could get about 8 minutes, but wife likes it hot and would get half that of truly hot water.

Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    That's not really the whole story. Unless your running the shower at full hot and no cold water is mixing in at the valve your not drawing the full amount from the WH. That would be really hot! Also once the water temp in the WH starts to drop the heater(s) will fire, at least partially offsetting the cool water coming in. If your running both gas and the electric element it will probably keep up at least for awhile.

We have a 12 gallon heater, with both elements running I don't think we have ever run out even with back to back showers. Though I don't think we take very long showers in the RV. Never really timed it out.
    Yes, but that's why I said full hot water (like filling a bucket of hot only) would be roughly max 4 minutes. There are a LOT of variables. The amount of reheating the tank can do is minimal as the heating elements are not the highest powered, nor is gas hot enough. Think of how long your tank takes from cold to hot water without water usage. If it takes 20+ minutes to heat the 12 gal tank stagnant, it isn't likely to do much while water is running through it, sadly.

Lots of variables; hot/cold mixture, flow rate, temperature of lines in rig, temperature of fresh water entering the tank from the water source (i.e. cold water in winter), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post

One other thought has to do with the water pressure. If it is high then wouldn't more water run in a shorter time?
    It's more about flow rate. Best way to determine a close approximation of your flow rate is throw a meter on your city connection and turn the shower on, count how many gallons are used in 60 seconds. I was surprised. Pressure is nice to have, too.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast