User Tag List

Thread: Introduction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Introduction

Hey all. I am in the process of purchasing a 2018 Imagine to live in full time with my 8 month old golden retriever. I知 getting out of a pretty bad relationship, and housing prices are through the roof. I知 not quite ready to settle down, so this seemed like the next best thing. I知 currently a hospice RN but plan to start travel nursing by summer. What is one (or two) things you wish you knew getting started?
    looking forward to getting to know you all & learning as I go.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum!

What do I wish I knew?... How about a thousand things?

The biggest thing for me is that if I knew what I know now, I would have done it ten years ago.

This forum is a great place to start. Whatever comes up, someone here has seen it, lived it or has an answer.

Good luck with your journey and let us know how things are going.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and welcome. The one thing I wish I had understood earlier is payload. All those numbers were confusing and it took a long time for me to really understand what they meant and what effect they had. So, my one piece of advice would be to not pay too much attention to tow ratings, and pay more attention to payload. If you get payload right, tow ratings are pretty much a non-issue these days.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group. Real great advise so far. It's all about payload. Also, whether buying new or used, do a full pdi. Be ready to spend a bit more in accessories after.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buying the RV is not the expensive part!

Welcome and good luck to you.
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
    2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive gooseneck conversion hitch
    630aH LiFePO4 Lion Energy battery bank, Victron Multi-Plus II Inverter, Victron MPPT, 563w solar array, CerboGX, 40a DC-DC charger

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first I didn't think I had much to add. But then these things came to mind.

The thing I learned many years ago was to get enough tow vehicle. I had to change the gears in my first van to tow a 24' travel trailer, then my Suburban didn't much care to pull a 26' TT. Then I got a 3/4 ton truck and found out for most any fifth wheel of any decent size (30+ feet) I'd need a one ton truck.

After owning TT's, Class As (gas and diesel pusher), and 5th, wheels I found the most satisfying tow/ride is a big truck (F-350 in my case). Little to no effect from the wind when towing.

The other thing to know is that there will be things wrong with the RV from the beginning. And things will continually go wrong - more things than in a house or apartment. So - find a good dealer.

Also know tow trucks aren't cheap these days; as much as, if not more than a lot of trailers.

Finally - figure out the cost of a truck, trailer, monthly campground fee, fuel and insurance and compare it to buying owning a house and making that payment (which at least increases in value). RVing isn't cheap.

Safe travels.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! My advice is all about the dog. Traveling nursing with a young active dog will not be easy on the pup unless you choose your schedule time carefully. Work right away with any barking issues if there are any. We have several traveling nurses in our park here in FL and they do 12 hr days 4 on 3 off or reversed. My neice is also a travel nurse. Make friends with dog walkers and neighbors fast as you travel from park to park. Someone that can let your dog get some daily exercise.. A bored young dog finds it's own entertainment, you could possibly find your couch chewed .
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 03-13-2023 at 07:39 PM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our advice for new RV owners, Travelers, Fulltimers, We went into RV ownership and Fulltiming with our eyes open. We took our time selecting the RV & floorplan we bought and our Tow Vehicle, researched going fulltime, the pros and cons and legal requirements for several months before doing it.

Then we set out to learn all we could about the systems and components in the RV like slide systems, roof, fresh water, plumbing, electric AC & DC, sewage system, leveling, AC, propane, cable TV, RV suspension, fridge, converter/inverter, stove, water heater, etc. Then when we have problems we can figure out what's wrong and maybe, if possible, fix it ourselves or get by until we can get a mobile tech on site to fix it.

Maintenance, keep up with it, on the RV and Tow vehicle, and hitch. Get or create a maintenance check list and try to do at least one thing on the list weekly, monthly, quarterly etc. Set aside a repair savings fund, every payday put a few bucks in it. The better you keep up with maintenance the longer they will last trouble free. Create a living budget and stick to it, track your expenditures, living fulltime in an RV can be more expensive than a stick and bricks. Plan for cold and freezing weather RV living. On moving day make yourself check lists to make sure you don't forget anything before you pull out, plan your travel days i.e. route, fuel, stop overs.

We have seen too many people "winging it", having problems and no idea what's wrong.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-14-2023 at 07:50 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel