User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery Tender/Trickle Charger

Everything I read about keeping your batteries charged while your rig is in storage states you should remove the batteries, store them in your garage and connect them to a battery tender or trickle charger. If you have access to electricity at your storage unit, is there any issue with simply connecting a battery tender/trickle charger to your batteries while they remain in the rig?

I'm just struggling with understanding why you need to completely remove the batteries and then connect to a tender/trickle charger, however, nearly every post/article/video I've seen suggests this approach. Is it because most storage facilities don't have an electric connection, or is there some other reason not to connect the batteries to a tender/trickle charger while the batteries are still in your rig and connected?
    2022 Solitude 310GK
    2022 Ram 3500

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KChalfant View Post
    Everything I read about keeping your batteries charged while your rig is in storage states you should remove the batteries, store them in your garage and connect them to a battery tender or trickle charger. If you have access to electricity at your storage unit, is there any issue with simply connecting a battery tender/trickle charger to your batteries while they remain in the rig?

I'm just struggling with understanding why you need to completely remove the batteries and then connect to a tender/trickle charger, however, nearly every post/article/video I've seen suggests this approach. Is it because most storage facilities don't have an electric connection, or is there some other reason not to connect the batteries to a tender/trickle charger while the batteries are still in your rig and connected?
    Yes, not all storage facilities have electric connections (ours doesn't and it's one of the best ones in the area).

Plus, if the storage place is outdoors, cold climate, you don't want your batteries to freeze.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 03-13-2023 at 10:29 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your storage facility has electric, and it's reliable and you think that no one would come along and mess with it (unplug it or steal the ext. cord, or whatever), then the onboard converter/charge will keep the battery or batteries charged up nicely, and no need to remove them. Along with the things I already mentioned, there is always a possibility of battery theft, so depending again, on how safe/secure your storage area is, that might help you make a decision. And with the onboard converter/charger, absolutely zero need for a battery tender.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    Yes, not all storage facilities have electric connections (ours doesn't and it's one of the best ones in the area).

Plus, if the storage place is outdoors, cold climate, you don't want your batteries to freeze.

As has been stated repeatedly on this and other forums is that fully charged batteries WILL NOT freeze.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    If your storage facility has electric, and it's reliable and you think that no one would come along and mess with it (unplug it or steal the ext. cord, or whatever), then the onboard converter/charge will keep the battery or batteries charged up nicely, and no need to remove them. Along with the things I already mentioned, there is always a possibility of battery theft, so depending again, on how safe/secure your storage area is, that might help you make a decision. And with the onboard converter/charger, absolutely zero need for a battery tender.

Thank you. Is it ok then just to keep the rig hooked up to shore power while in storage? I’ve seen some articles saying keeping fully hooked up can damage the refrigerator and even overcharge the batteries? I’m new to all this, so just trying to understand the best I can.
    2022 Solitude 310GK
    2022 Ram 3500

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the newer trailer, overcharging the batteries shouldn't be an issue. Some of the older WFCO converters were bad about not going to "float" mode and could indeed overcharge the batteries. Newer converters, not so much. Your refrigerator shouldn't be damaged by keeping it running. Especially if it's a 12V or residential fridge.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Is it ok then just to keep the rig hooked up to shore power while in storage? I’ve seen some articles saying keeping fully hooked up can damage the refrigerator and even overcharge the batteries? I’m new to all this, so just trying to understand the best I can.
    If you do this, you simply shut all circuits down (turn breakers off and pull selective fuses) and leave only the appropriate circuit on. I have not investigated them all, but several 12VDC refrigerators are not for freezing weather. Seems peculiar considering the application, but it's right there in the owners manual.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't need the refrigerator while in storage, then just turn it off and it will be like anything else that's turned off. Modern trailers (yours is definitely a new one), the charger/converter will charge the battery or batteries until they are considered fully charged, then the voltage will drop to "float" level voltage and this will maintain the battery without overcharging it. And as mentioned earlier, a fully charged battery will not freeze in cold temperatures. It takes something like -80 degrees for it to freeze when it's fully charged. My trailer is a 2018 model and I keep it plugged in year round since I bought it in 2019....so four years. Hope this helps.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If leaving a trailer plugged in can harm the fridge then I’m in big trouble, we live in ours for months at a time as do others

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    If you don't need the refrigerator while in storage, then just turn it off and it will be like anything else that's turned off. Modern trailers (yours is definitely a new one), the charger/converter will charge the battery or batteries until they are considered fully charged, then the voltage will drop to "float" level voltage and this will maintain the battery without overcharging it. And as mentioned earlier, a fully charged battery will not freeze in cold temperatures. It takes something like -80 degrees for it to freeze when it's fully charged. My trailer is a 2018 model and I keep it plugged in year round since I bought it in 2019....so four years. Hope this helps.
    Thanks so much!
    2022 Solitude 310GK
    2022 Ram 3500

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast