User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    If you do this, you simply shut all circuits down (turn breakers off and pull selective fuses) and leave only the appropriate circuit on. I have not investigated them all, but several 12VDC refrigerators are not for freezing weather. Seems peculiar considering the application, but it's right there in the owners manual.
    Thank you!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I tend to rant on this subject.
    Especially if in cold/very cold climates, there is no need for any of this for lead-acid batteries.
    Make sure they are topped off with water.
    Fully charge.
    Fully disconnect (do not trust the switch!).
    Forget until spring.

Batteries do self discharge, but the colder the slower. Over 20 yrs in Minn., with 7 batteries, they never come out of storage at less than 90% charge.
    Fully charged batteries do not freeze until they reach -74F. If they do, it was because they did not hold a charge and were bad anyway.

Very hot conditions is the opposite - self discharge can be much faster, so indoors may then be advised.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery discharge.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	45298
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    With the newer trailer, overcharging the batteries shouldn't be an issue. Some of the older WFCO converters were bad about not going to "float" mode and could indeed overcharge the batteries. Newer converters, not so much. Your refrigerator shouldn't be damaged by keeping it running. Especially if it's a 12V or residential fridge.
    Thank you!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FYI - storage (not charging or use) advice is all over, depending on brand, for lithiums. Most say DO take indoors, store at 50% charge, and top off every few months. One brand (Victron), says they can be stored as cold as -40F. But most say at room temp.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our storage facility only has 120v service available to its renters. We hookup a 50' UL certified extension cord (which we have snaked above the coroplast) to a battery tender in our front storage compartment of our 5er.

We disconnect the battery wires and hookup only the tender wires during the winter storage months. In the other months which we could tow, we leave all wires connected including the tender wires and hookup the tender wires (with a quick disconnect) when stored. Keeps our battery topped of year round and extends the life as well.

Other than extension, we do this with all our vehicles and get 2 1/2 times the normal battery life on all our 4whlrs, mower, boats, and autos.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 03-14-2023 at 08:45 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    If you do this, you simply shut all circuits down (turn breakers off and pull selective fuses) and leave only the appropriate circuit on. I have not investigated them all, but several 12VDC refrigerators are not for freezing weather. Seems peculiar considering the application, but it's right there in the owners manual.
    I didn't know that about the 12V fridges, learn something new every day. I wonder what the reasons are.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One advantage to using one of the better trickle chargers or the newer converters i.e Progressive Dynamics is they routinely have a cycle that will provide desulfation, to prevent the process of building up lead sulfate crystals inside a lead-acid battery. Full battery capacity will be preserved over a longer life span of the battery.

Maybe the newer WFCO converters have this feature, but in the past they were hard on my batteries.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    I tend to rant on this subject.
    Especially if in cold/very cold climates, there is no need for any of this for lead-acid batteries.
    Make sure they are topped off with water.
    Fully charge.
    Fully disconnect (do not trust the switch!).
    Forget until spring.
    I”ll second Sande005 on this. I’m surprised there is still so much bad information about this around. A charged lead-acid battery, disconnected from any load, will not discharge, will not freeze, and does not need a trickle charger. During 18 years on a farm in North Dakota winters, we never had a single battery freeze or go bad over the winter even with sustained nights at -30° F. Charge them up, disconnect them (at the terminal), and “Forget until spring”. If they go bad, they WERE bad and you needed a new battery anyway. Theft is a different issue.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in MO have had batteries go bad in short periods of time from not being used. We do get 90+ degree days and before puting on tenders was experiencing 4-5yr car, 2yr mower, 3-4yr boat battery life. Now after using tenders, have doubled it plus and made up the money on the tenders to boot while leaving the batteries in place, hooked up and ready to go when I need to use the vehicles.

Would rather connect the tender and let it monitor the charge. Just my time, money, own experience, and opinion.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    As has been stated repeatedly on this and other forums is that fully charged batteries WILL NOT freeze.
    OK, not "freeze" but they can get too cold.

“A 100% fully charged battery will not freeze until approximately -76 degrees Fahrenheit,” Kimbrough, technical services manager for Interstate Batteries said in a telephone interview. “A fully discharged battery can freeze at or around 32 degrees.”

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast