User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U-turn distance needed

Hello, my truck included, I'm about 55' long.

Is there a 'standard estimate' for how much distance I need between for the 180 degree turn?

...Either calculated between the insides of each direction, or the road centerline of each direction?
    I know one answer is "it depends". But, I'm looking for a rule of thumb if it exists.

I'm in the early stages of planning a new driveway on my vacant land. I don't want to actually try it yet because the road is currently too rough.
    I also know I could go out to a stadium parking lot and set up some cones, but that would be a big endeavor at this time.

Thanks!
    2020 GD Imagine 2970-RL

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, the answer IS - it depends. The turning radius probably varies by truck & trailer. My 2018 short bed truck turned in a tighter radius than my long bed '22. Then there is the situation of can you actually make a 90 degree turn without the camper interfering with the truck cab or bed.

It might help if you tell us your truck and camper specifics rather than just the total length.

Finally (maybe not in the "it depends") category, if I had the room on vacant land I'd make the turn wider than the minimum required for your current lash up. Ya never know - a large moving van truck may have to get it and out too.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of variables, 5th wheel or TT, truck (not all trucks have same turning radius). You can probably figure out your truck turning radius fairly easy, and that will give you a good starting point.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are you located? Might not be subjective at all because of State and Local Code requiring you to get a civil engineer involved... There's an entire handbook used by civil engineers for geometric layout and both civil design suites for CAD can work out the geometry directly. Pertinent questions would include are you simply wanting to accommodate what you have now or want to include some future proofing? You paving or just gravel? It does make a difference. It's also not your overall length that's critical but it your centerline distance between tow vehicle axles and coupling to centerline of the trailer axles.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two lanes is possible, three lanes is better.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    google: vehicle turning template...or vehicle swept path.....

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master IceMan View Post

Is there a 'standard estimate' for how much distance I need between for the 180 degree turn?

...Either calculated between the insides of each direction, or the road centerline of each direction?
    I know one answer is "it depends". But, I'm looking for a rule of thumb if it exists.

I'm in the early stages of planning a new driveway on my vacant land. I don't want to actually try it yet because the road is currently too rough.
    I also know I could go out to a stadium parking lot and set up some cones, but that would be a big endeavor at this time.

Thanks!
    I would say, without getting into a lot of science, you almost got to go to an empty parking lot and see what makes you comfortable in handling your rig.

Sometimes its not whether it can be done, but can it be done with comfort. Having a little extra room can always help with the unexpected ah-crap moments.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Master IceMan View Post

Thanks!
    You have a TT, so whatever you truck will turn the trailer will follow PLUS trailer tail swing. You don't list you truck, but most manufacturers list the turning radius in thier technical information.

With a 5th wheel it is possible to turn tighter by jackknifing the truck (watch for cab contact). However this puts an extreme loading on the axles and suspension. Again tail swing needs to be added.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    However this puts an extreme loading on the axles and suspension.
    Exactly...I try not to turn sharp on pavement, just dirt for this reason.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how to you calculate "tail swing"

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast