User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Towing 200MK & others

I need some assistance and am also confused.
    I recently took a trip to the Big Muddy (in Saskatchewan) with my 200MK (2021). Even though the roads were horrendous, I still found my truck and trailer were porpoising a lot.
    So, when I came home I did some serious looking at upgrading my vehicle. I currently have a 2021 Chevy Silverado 1500 RST with a towing package, but NOT the ultimate towing package…so my towing capabilities is only 9200lbs. My trailer fully loaded weighs in at 6526lbs of 6995 capacity.
    My truck has a capacity of 7200lbs and weighed in at 6063lbs with everything I require down south, or on any trip.
    I then had a chat with a friend who knows a lot about trailering. He gave me some great advice.
    I then found this YouTube video online and followed it. I followed his instructions to a T (https://youtu.be/O3CAKb18ZXs). I couldn’t believe the difference it made for towing.
    While driving to town later I must have passed a dozen trailers but especially a Grand Design Reflection 150 being towed by a Ford F150…how?
    I’ve been told my truck is “capable” of towing my trailer, but by doing so, am I harming it?
    Everything weighed by scale was done except the tongue weight as I honestly don’t get how to do that…
    My hitch is rated for 8k lbs, and 800lbs tongue weight, while my trailers tongue weight is only 480lbs.
    Should I be looking at a 3/4 ton?
    Thanks all in advance!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you’re asking if your truck is ok for that trailer. It is. Dial it in right and you should be good and comfortable.

Easy tongue weight is to take the truck over the scale loaded as you would travel without the trailer. Then over the same scale with the trailer. So long as the scale tells you axle weights, you can compare the no-trailer weight of your truck to the with-trailer weight on the two truck axles. The additional weight is your tongue weight. Many of us go to the scales, weigh, unhook, then weigh just the truck to accomplish this.

You don’t need to know the exact tongue weight, that trailer is a good match for your truck. But if you want to, you can
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, it eases my mind. And I will do the weight way you suggested. I did weigh the truck and then the both together, but the scale I was at didn’t have axle weights, just combined.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Porpoising is mostly caused by an unloaded front end

You won’t get rid of all porpoising no matter the truck

What hitch do you use?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Porpoising is mostly caused by an unloaded front end

You won’t get rid of all porpoising no matter the truck

What hitch do you use?
    It is a Curt, has a rating for 8000lb tow and 800lb tongue weight.
    It's a round bar WDH #17051, without the sway control hitch...something I didn’t know you could also get...I honestly thought the WDH did that job as well. Maybe I need to look into adding that? Would be a cheaper fix for me.
    It’s time like this that I really, really miss Len…he was so knowledgeable on this stuff!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing 200MK & others

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering5thwheelers View Post
    It is a Curt, has a rating for 8000lb tow and 800lb tongue weight.
    It's a round bar WDH #17051, without the sway control hitch...something I didn’t know you could also get...I honestly thought the WDH did that job as well. Maybe I need to look into adding that? Would be a cheaper fix for me.
    It’s time like this that I really, really miss Len…he was so knowledgeable on this stuff!
    Imo your hitch is not good enough plus being a rear kitchen trailer is just a poor combination

You need to increase the bar weight and increase your tongue weight considerably
    Last edited by NB Canada; 06-18-2023 at 10:39 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Imo your hitch is not good enough plus being a rear kitchen trailer is just a poor combination

You need to increase the bar weight and increase your tongue weight considerably
    I understand tongue weight, but what is bar weight? And how do you accomplish both?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand tongue weight, but what is bar weight? And how do you accomplish both?
    Thanks
    The 800 lb bars you have imo are not heavy enough
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I’ll look into it.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I’ll look into it.
    Like I said the entire hitch is entry level imo

A hitch is a very important part of the towing setup and should be one of quality
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH