User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ram Cummins AISIN ASRC Fluid Filter Change

We are fulltime and I just did this maintenance on our signature 2018 Ram at 58122 miles. I thought I would post the experience here so other Ram AISIN owners wont have to go to a truck forum for information. Like is said we are all in this together, Ram owners.

Now the last cost estimate I got at a Ram dealership service dept was right at $1000 for just ATF fluid and filter change. At this point in our ownership I refuse to pay that much, I feel its gouging the customer, but you have to weigh needing the service while on the road or fulltiming. I timed this needed service with our visiting our kids in Ohio so i could do it at my daughters house using their garage. Fluid only change at 30K, fluid and filter change at 60K, then its fluid only at 90K.

Getting to the point, I ordered the MOPAR trans filter, pan gasket and Mobile 3309 ATF 12 quarts through Amazon for $212 delivered and it took a couple hours to "get-er-done". I will only use MOPAR parts since we still have half the 100K power train warranty left. No question as to the quality of the replacement parts. You do not have to use the MOPAR ASRC fluid that they uplift the cost 500%! There is a sticker right on the side of the AISIN transmission that says use Mobile 3309 fluid only. Enough on that.

It went as expected and as shown on a lot of the U-tubes on the subject. The 4 10mm bolts next to the crossover frame are a little difficult to get at, the pan is dimpled so it makes it a little easier, but here patience will pay off big time. You do not have to unbolt the crossover frame. Use a small 1/4 drive 10mm swivel socket or universal with a socket and an extension and you can do it. Just make sure when replacing, you start the bolts without cross threading them. Hint if you find the universal or swivel socket flops around too much, put a piece of black electrical tape around the swivel or universal, keeps it stiffer but still flexes to get the bolt in.

Oh, when you take the 3 10mm bolts out of the filter, be ready for the small gush of fluid when you take the filter off. Install the new filter and torque the filter bolts to 88" lbs. The pan bolts torque is 62"lbs. Use gasket tack on the pan and gasket to hold it in place when replacing the trans pan, tighten the bolts in a cross pattern. It took almost 11 quarts to refill the trans. When you first restart the truck after the change, the check engine light will stay on, and you may get a message that the 4 wheel drive is inoperative, just restart the engine a few times letting the engine run a little each time and after the 5th restart the check engine light went off. Its normal.

I guess that's it, not too difficult. Please recycle, clean the pan out good. Now as I get older there may come a time where I don't or can't do it myself. In that case I'll still get the MOPAR parts and then pay a reasonable amount to an independent service center to do the job. I refuse to pay the gouging of Ram dealership service centers.

Thought I would just give you my experience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2448.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 12-12-2021 at 10:43 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It amazes me that they have that short of a service interval on them. That tells me they either run hot, or burn up the additive package quickly.
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this. It will help me out when it's time for my 2018!
    Ken & Margie
    2020 GD 337
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4
    B&W Companion

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CX500T View Post
    It amazes me that they have that short of a service interval on them. That tells me they either run hot, or burn up the additive package quickly.
    Im not sure why the service interval is what it is, perhaps they feel if you have the HO Cummins with the AISIN its surely used a lot for towing heavy. I guess, I dont know. Normally you would run trans fluid a lot longer than that. At 58122 there was not a lot of band material in the pan or collected on the magnets, but some. My wife was helping me, she picked the magnets out of the pan for me to clean. I didn't stop her , I felt she should share in the maintenance chores, boy was she PO'ed with the gunk under her fingernails. She used an old tooth brush and scrubbed her nails for a long time!!! Probably wont help again!

I haven't checked the fluid temp on the display towing during the summer, maybe I should have, but this fall winter it's running around 150-160 not towing. I'm just glad to have the service done. Another 30K will put us way, way down the road.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an AISIN equipped Dodge as well. I can tell you it doesn't run hot, about 85*C all day long.
    That said, I'm amazed at the short fluid change intervals of all sorts of things nowadays. Change rear diff fluid every two years or whatever. Auto trans every 30 - 60,000. When I drained the fluid in the diff in my Challenger it was probably the oil from the factory fill in '71. Gears were still good. I have a '76 727 torqueflite in the garage that probably still has the original fluid in it.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The service interval for my F450 is 150,000 fluid and filter. That's more in line with what I'd expect in modern MD and HD trucks. I believe its similar for the GM offerings.

My wife's Toyota doesn't have a published service interval so I did it around 150k.

Gear oil i usually change every 100k or so unless I suspect water intrusion.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! You need another dealer! I normally do all of my own maintenance too, but last go-around for the AISIN I had just had spine surgery. Long story short, $459 at the dealership inclusive of pan drop (wanted to see it), filter change, and they use 3309 (huge RAM HD dealer). They even collected my fluid sample to send to the lab. I thought that very reasonable considering a skid plate truck and the volume of fluid it needs.

I can tell you specialty lubricant prices are absurd with the continuing supply chain problems. Cannot believe what I paid for two quarts of T-case fluid because it has no true cross reference!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Wow! You need another dealer! I normally do all of my own maintenance too, but last go-around for the AISIN I had just had spine surgery. Long story short, $459 at the dealership inclusive of pan drop (wanted to see it), filter change, and they use 3309 (huge RAM HD dealer). They even collected my fluid sample to send to the lab. I thought that very reasonable considering a skid plate truck and the volume of fluid it needs.

I can tell you specialty lubricant prices are absurd with the continuing supply chain problems. Cannot believe what I paid for two quarts of T-case fluid because it has no true cross reference!
    Heck at that price I would have let them do it. Probably less for me with out the skid plate removal. I had checked at a RAM dealership in Texas awhile back, I just walked out without saying anything, and again just recently here in Indiana, both were @ $1000. Both told me it must use their ASRC fluid nothing else, and both told me the crossover had to be removed. Yeah I new better, This last time in Indiana when they had to fix the 4 wheel drive actuator under warranty, I asked about the AISIN change, I said no thanks.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dealer service prices in my area are nuts - seems that's the only profit they are making with no inventory to sell.

Thanks for bringing this subject up - read through the maintenance schedule and this one slipped right by me - surprised at the low mileage for a change and high mileage (at least for me) for an oil change. I'll price around.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The service interval for my F450 is 150,000 fluid and filter. That's more in line with what I'd expect in modern MD and HD trucks.
    Ya, BUT, Ford also says to do the fluid and filter every 50k to extend transmission life.....whatever that means....
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast