Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magnetic brake issues

Just registered and new to this group.

We purchased a new 2022 Solitude 375RES a year ago. Last summer, after approx. 4,000 miles while travelling we lost our trailer breaks. This was in August of 2022. We made it home safely and took it to the dealership. All 4 breaks were quote: "entirely burnt up, grease is burnt black, grease seals fell out, bearings are heated and scored". Excessive overheating. They had to replace everything....backing plates wheel bearings, hubs, the whole 9 yards. Magnetic self adjusting breaks. It was submitted for warranty and they denied it. They said it was due to the drivers "driving habits". In other words operator error. I disputed their claim and had to pay out of pocket for this work. I'm experienced in towing and actually traded in my other 5th wheel for this new Solitude. The brakes were fine in the 5th wheel I traded in. Not sure if that one had the same breaks as our new Solitude. I've been towing Rvs and other trailers with for 40+ years and never had any break issues.

I had to take it back to the dealership for some unrelated warranty work and had them remove just one of the wheels to see how my new brakes are doing. Since August of 2022 we've made 2 trips totaling about 1,800 miles. They need replacing again. Not quite as bad but still the same problem. Overheating. This time after much back-and-forth talks between the dealerships service manager and Grand Design they are begrudgingly going to fix it under warranty as a onetime courtesy. We are planning a 5 month cross country trip leaving in about 2 weeks and I'm not confident with what's happening with my brakes. Still no solid cause.

This time they connected my truck and they checked the voltage/amperage when I applied both the foot and hand brake. Normal. I have a 2018 Ram 2500 6.7L fully factory equipped for towing. Exhaust brake, tow/haul. Gain is set at 6 and I've never locked up the brakes (skid marks). I'm thinking a improperly grounded system. Any thoughts. Its still at the dealership being fixed.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. Have they checked the break away switch to make sure it isn't faulty? If the breaks weren't set correctly initially, this could cause problems. I'm not talking about the controller, but the shoes themselves do need a proper initial adjustment.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I took it in several days ago I specifically asked them if there was a controller in the 5th wheel that maybe regulated the voltage coming from my truck and maybe had to be adjusted. I was told there is no controller in the 5th wheel, when I brake whatever my truck sends to the 5th wheel goes directly to the brakes. I will ask about the breakaway switch. I would have thought any initial adjustment would have been done by the factory when I bought it brand new last year and also after I picked it up after the new brakes were put on just last August.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baller View Post
    When I took it in several days ago I specifically asked them if there was a controller in the 5th wheel that maybe regulated the voltage coming from my truck and maybe had to be adjusted. I was told there is no controller in the 5th wheel, when I brake whatever my truck sends to the 5th wheel goes directly to the brakes. I will ask about the breakaway switch. I would have thought any initial adjustment would have been done by the factory when I bought it brand new last year and also after I picked it up after the new brakes were put on just last August.
    I was referring to the truck controller. I wouldn't assume the brakes were adjusted in either case. They should have been, but there are plenty examples on this forum of things that should have been done by the factory or a dealer that weren't done. There is also a break-in procedure for brand new brakes, it's in the instructions when you purchase new brakes. It involves numerous cycles of traveling at certain speeds and then slowing down to a specific speed.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first impression is the brake controller is putting out too much current and is causing the trailer brakes to do almost all of the stopping for the rig which would overwork the trailer brakes and could cause the extra wear and overheating. If that were the case you would likely feel the trailer brakes slowing you down.

An unlikely possibility is there is a wiring error which is causing power that should be to the lights is instead wired to the brakes. It could show voltage when the brake lights come on so at first glance it would look to be working properly while it is instead sending more voltage than necessary to the brakes. It would take some careful testing and tracing of wires to eliminate this possibility.

Normally a grounding issue would cause the brakes to not work well enough or not at all.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't aware of possibly having to doing any adjustment in my truck controller. The dealership said the original brakes that went bad were self-adjusting and, on the invoice I got with the new brakes, it also says self-adjusting. All I did was adjust the gain to what the RV dealership said was ok which was 6. I will check with the Ram dealership about the truck controller. When they installed the new brakes in August I had to ask if theres anything I needed to do. They offered nothing when I was about to drive off. The brake technician who did the work gave me vague instruction which I followed however he never said anything near to what you are saying should have happened. I will ask for written instructions when I get it back this time. I'm not knowledgeable when it come to the different types of brakes that are installed. All I can guess is the ones installed on my previous 5th wheel were not the magnetic self adjusting type because we put a lot more miles on my that 5th wheel and never had any brake issues. Thanks for your input

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't aware of possibly having to doing any adjustment in my truck controller. The dealership said the original brakes that went bad were self-adjusting and, on the invoice I got with the new brakes, it also says self-adjusting. All I did was adjust the gain to what the RV dealership said was ok which was 6. I will check with the Ram dealership about the truck controller. When they installed the new brakes in August I had to ask if theres anything I needed to do. They offered nothing when I was about to drive off. The brake technician who did the work gave me vague instruction which I followed however he never said anything near to what you are saying should have happened. I will ask for written instructions when I get it back this time. I'm not knowledgeable when it come to the different types of brakes that are installed. All I can guess is the ones installed on my previous 5th wheel were not the magnetic self adjusting type because we put a lot more miles on my that 5th wheel and never had any brake issues. Thanks for your input
    This might be helpful. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When they called me to come look at the brakes we hooked up my truck to the 5th wheel and i applied and released both the foot brake and the hand brake separately/independently of the other. They said their readings were within the normal range. They crawled under the 5th wheel and took readings at each wheel. I watched the video that was sent to me regarding burnishing (breaking in) new brakes and OMG this is a more extensive process than I was ever told to do after they installed the second set of brakes. Was I supposed to do this when I purchased the 5th wheel a year ago or were they already broken in? I was never told this when we bought it new.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chad

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When they called me to come look at the brakes we hooked up my truck to the 5th wheel and i applied and released both the foot brake and the hand brake separately/independently of the other. They said their readings were within the normal range. They crawled under the 5th wheel and took readings at each wheel. I watched the video that was sent to me regarding burnishing (breaking in) new brakes and OMG this is a more extensive process than I was ever told to do after they installed the second set of brakes. Was I supposed to do this when I purchased the 5th wheel a year ago or were they already broken in? I was never told this when we bought it new.
    Being in Vegas, the brakes would have been burnished during the delivery from Indiana (over 1500 miles?). The contract drivers that deliver use the trailer brakes almost exclusively. My brakes were toast after only 2k miles after I bought it. I think delivery contributed to the dumpster fire of your first brakes.
    The second set you would've had to burnish.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast