Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did some voltage checks on our TV, battery, shore power and nothing hooked up to camper after a full charge. First, I verified that my TV has 12.6 volts at the 7-pin connector. With the truck running I measure 13.76 volts on the camper battery. Truck off and connected 12.9 volts. Plugged into shore power 13.6 volts. Based on my readings I'd say the truck is charging the camper while towing, although I don't know the current draw. When we arrived home from a 4-hour trip the battery read 12.1 volts. I'm guessing that the residential refrigerator is pulling more than the truck can supply. The refrigerator is cold before starting trip and this is a brand-new battery. Do you think I have a charging or load problem? Any thoughts or suggestions?
    2020 Solitude 2930RL
    2021 GMC Denali 3500HD Standard Bed
    B&W RVK3710 Hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without hard data, like the current flow from the truck while traveling, it's all pretty much speculation. But just a WAG, I think you're correct: the truck isn't supplying enough juice to offset the battery drain. And don't forget, the inverter takes some of the power too. You may need to change out the battery, whether to a couple golf cart batteries, or to lithium batteries, would be the question in my mind.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fam5mel View Post
    Did some voltage checks on our TV, battery, shore power and nothing hooked up to camper after a full charge. First, I verified that my TV has 12.6 volts at the 7-pin connector. With the truck running I measure 13.76 volts on the camper battery. Truck off and connected 12.9 volts. Plugged into shore power 13.6 volts. Based on my readings I'd say the truck is charging the camper while towing, although I don't know the current draw. When we arrived home from a 4-hour trip the battery read 12.1 volts. I'm guessing that the residential refrigerator is pulling more than the truck can supply. The refrigerator is cold before starting trip and this is a brand-new battery. Do you think I have a charging or load problem? Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Voltages aren't giving the information you need. Is it charging at 1 amp or 10 amps? You need a properly installed battery monitor and that will tell you what is going on. Exactly how much is going out (or in) and any moment. I use the Victron 712. It resets after a full charge and will tell me exactly how many amps have been used up since I unplugged. If I am using more battery power than I normal, I can start shutting things down until I find the culprit.

A lithium or GC batteries will increase your capacity and should also alleviate the problem but I still think a regular battery should be fine if everything is functioning normally unless the newer trucks put out significantly less on the charge wire. At least for a normal travel day.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our momentum came with residential fridge, 2k watt inverter, 300 amp solar panel and solar charge controller. I was under the impression that it was the standard to have solar if you have a residential refrigerator. Installed by GD at the factory.

If you have this then, there should be no issues leaving the fridge on. I leave mine on and make ice during a travel day. We have the refrigerator and a 3 cube foot freezer in the garage that pull, on average,12 amps an hour...

If not, you add enough batteries to last you for the length of your drive day. But they're better be ice in the fridge because I want my drink. Haha
    2019 F450 CC
    2021 Momentum 395MS-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few questions/SWAG
    - Do you have anything else (besides the refrigerator) powered by the inverter?
    - Are all of your trailer lights off (including the pass through and front compartment)?
    - Is you furnace off? The fan draws a lot of power!
    - Are your tank heaters off? If outside temps are above 40 degrees F, this should not be an issue.

As others have said, the best way to determine the problem (load, charge or battery) is with a good battery monitor like the Victron 712 (there are many others too).

Good luck

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were me, I would have a victron 30 amp dc to dc charger (which for some reason actually outputs 38 amps), 4 gauge pure copper cable from tv to separate 2 conductor 60 amp plug, to the charger mounted in the trailer, and 4 gauge cables from that to your battery. It will be the end of any issues you have with battery while towing. It is the system I put in my trailer, and I have a propane fridge. I just like a fully charged battery every time I enter a new camping spot (280ah lithium). That charger btw, will draw 45 amps out of the tow vehicle system. BTW you need to disconnect the 12v from your 7 pin if you do this.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW. We turn on the inverter and fridge when we pull out of the lot and turn it off on arrival at the campsite, nice and cold, ready for shore power. We don't dry camp and there's always been plenty of power in the house bank to get everything set up, leveled and attached to the shore.
    Retired US Army, Retired Florida Department of Law Enforcement
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2019 F-350 Platinum SRW w/ B&W Companion
    And a great wife….

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonder View Post
    FWIW. We turn on the inverter and fridge when we pull out of the lot and turn it off on arrival at the campsite, nice and cold, ready for shore power. We don't dry camp and there's always been plenty of power in the house bank to get everything set up, leveled and attached to the shore.
    We very rarely turn off the frig inverter when traveling or in a FHU site. If the power for some reason goes out, it doesn't matter.
    We have a little solar setup and 400Ah of lithium power. The converter rarely gets turned on too, unless it's very cloudy for days.

KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solar and Samsung residential fridge were separate options when we ordered. Running factory solar and two lithiums, we had nearly full or full SOC after day of travel (except for maxxair incident - see below) - fridge pulls about 6-7 amps. The inverter and fridge are always on in transit (forgot to turn on inverter twice but still were not low on SOC) and about 50% of our travel days were in cloud or rain last year. We do spend nights at Harvest Host locations running the slides and leveling in addition to furnace as required.

One surprise I encountered was prior to departure one day I closed the MaxxAir vent (rarely use it) figuring it would shut the fan off - it didn't. Noticed it running when we arrived with vent closed. That drew the batteries down a bit more than usual.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I added a second battery and all seems well. With two new battery’s I’ve had no more issues with low voltage while running the refrigerator. I guess the Solitude should have come from the dealer with two batteries since it has two battery cases. Waiting on Victron shunt to arrive so I can install it. Appreciate all the great advice.
    2020 Solitude 2930RL
    2021 GMC Denali 3500HD Standard Bed
    B&W RVK3710 Hitch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast