User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to see in the UP

I am trying to plan our summer trip and the UP (Upper Peninsula) is on the list for this year. So far I have some stops planned, it looks like most of the things to do up there are outdoor related with sightseeing or hiking being popular activities. We don’t do much hiking as my arthritis prevents going very far. Just looking for ideas from those who have been there as to where to go and what see and what to do. We will have 6 weeks available.
    Last edited by DougW9876; 03-16-2023 at 07:47 AM.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you're referring the Upper Peninsula of Michigan? Acronyms sometimes can be confusing.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    I am trying to plan our summer trip and the UP is on the list for this year. So far I have some stops planned, it looks like most of the things to do up there are outdoor related with sightseeing or hiking being popular activities. We don’t do much hiking as my arthritis prevents going very far. Just looking for ideas from those who have been there as to where to go and what see and what to do. We will have 6 weeks available.
    Hi Doug,

We are planning a trip to the UP this summer as well. I have been there several times snowmobiling but never in the summer. I am just starting to do some research so will be very interested in what people suggest.

The Porcupine Mountain area is beautiful. Make sure you stop by Lake of the Clouds. It is beautiful in the winter, even more so in the summer, I imagine.

Also be sure to have a pasty while you are there.

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tahquamenon Falls , white fish point , soo locks , Mackinac Island , campground highly recommend Bay view site 13 if you can get it . Have your own beach on lake superior. No hookups it is rustic only 19 sites so if it's full beach still empty. It is slow pace up there relaxing little traffic.
    Last edited by Conner58; 03-15-2023 at 12:38 PM.
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    U.P. is wide. Are you going to cover the whole works?

Mackinac Island - Unique island area. Need to take a ferry to get there. Will have to camp and drive to the ferry.
    Tahquamenon falls - beautiful waterfalls with a state park
    Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore - Another beautiful spot to see Gitche Gumee
    Porcupine Mountains
    Copper Harbor - If you feel like going ALL the way UP
    Lake of the Clouds
    Lake Gogebic - big inland lake area.

And if you're going as far west as the Porkies, cross over into my homeland of Wisconsin and check out the Apostle Islands.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been several threads on Da UP here's results of a search...Lots to do UP there!
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/sear...archid=2547535
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    There have been several threads on Da UP here's results of a search...Lots to do UP there!
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/sear...archid=2547535

When I click that link I get ‘Sorry, no matches”. When I search for “Michigan” I get 20 pages of results that I spent half an hour going through without finding anything relevant. I get no matches when I try to search using advanced search to try thread titles only. I don’t see an option to search only in the Trip Planning Forum. I am most assuredly no idiot when it comes to computers, I just don’t seem to have any luck with the search on this site.

If you have some tricks to share, please do.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    When I click that link I get ‘Sorry, no matches”. When I search for “Michigan” I get 20 pages of results that I spent half an hour going through without finding anything relevant. I get no matches when I try to search using advanced search to try thread titles only. I don’t see an option to search only in the Trip Planning Forum. I am most assuredly no idiot when it comes to computers, I just don’t seem to have any luck with the search on this site.

If you have some tricks to share, please do.
    It's not you, that link doesn't work for me, either.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hoping to spend a couple nights near Mackinaw (Mackinack Island for sure) on our way out to Glacier and Yellowstone. Then a couple of nights in Duluth (North Shore Scenic RR). Curious about routing between Mackinaw and Duluth if anyone has suggestions (with an overnight in between).
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We spent about 2 months in the UP back in 2020. Loved the area around Marquette. My wife took to calling Lake Superior "that superior lake". We talked of retiring there, but just not sure about all those winters! There is a nice RV park at Ishpeming which is 20 minutes west of Marquette. Good shopping, pastys and Starbucks in Marquette along with a lakeshore drive/hike.
    If you are on the southern shoreline of the UP the city of Manistique has a top notch modern RV park right on the Lake Michigan shoreline. Some of the sites are literally a few feet from the water. It is pretty popular in season though. The city also has a 9 hole golf course just down the road that is fun....when we were there in July it was wide open.
    Can't remember the routes offhand, but I do remember it was easy travel, mix of 2,3 and 4 lane roads but all good surfaces.
    Enjoy!
    2022 Solitude 378-MBS-R, 8k axles and disc brake package, slide toppers, dual panes, 5.5kw Onan, W/D, 3rd AC/heat pump
    2023 F350 Lariat DRW on order, (canceled)
    2023 Chevy 3500 LTZ long bed Duramax, 12250 GVWR, 3867 cargo cap, Z71, 5th wheel prep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast