User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More newbie questions

So, a few more questions if you will endure it.

At what point should one consider upgrading to 8k axles? I know the obvious answer is the expected loaded weight, but since I have no experience in this area, I really don’t know. For example, with the 310GK/GK-R model, if we plan to have a washer and dryer and a generator, all that is upfront so more load overall, but further away from the axles and the payload seems to become more important (of the TV). We will probably have one or two solar panels and upgrade to dual pane windows and the king bed. Dishwasher is a possibility, but not sure right now. However, if we were to get the 2930RL/RL-R, the generator would still be in the front, but the washer and dryer would be over or very close to being over the axles. We would have what I would think are the normal things people have, such as the various things to make a kitchen functional, and would fill up the bedroom closet with clothes. I am aware the upgrade to 8k axles includes disc brakes, which I plan to do even if we just keep the 7k axles.

Getting back to the dishwasher, since water is a precious commodity, and dishwashers usually use less water than hand washing, for those that have a dishwasher, any regrets in having one? Not referring to the particular dishwasher model you have, just the practical use of it.

Solar – unless one is in the southwest, I would think most people are going to be in shady areas when at the campsite of their choice (of course, also in the southwest if you can find one). So, how practical is solar when staying for more than just a few days in various campsites (which is our plan). I know it will help for a relatively short amount of time, but without moving your rig, is it very practical? Our plan is to generally stay at one place for 1 – 3 weeks, in case that type of use helps with the answer.

TIA

Brian

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcurrie100 View Post
    Solar – unless one is in the southwest, I would think most people are going to be in shady areas when at the campsite of their choice (of course, also in the southwest if you can find one). So, how practical is solar when staying for more than just a few days in various campsites (which is our plan). I know it will help for a relatively short amount of time, but without moving your rig, is it very practical? Our plan is to generally stay at one place for 1 – 3 weeks, in case that type of use helps with the answer.
    Hey Brian, I don't know much about axles but solar can be a great option if you regularly camp off-grid. For a 1-3 week stay an adequately designed solar setup could supply most if not all of your battery needs. There are many experienced solar users on the forum, could you please supply a bit more information about what you'd be using the solar for so that they can help?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Hey Brian, I don't know much about axles but solar can be a great option if you regularly camp off-grid. For a 1-3 week stay an adequately designed solar setup could supply most if not all of your battery needs. There are many experienced solar users on the forum, could you please supply a bit more information about what you'd be using the solar for so that they can help?
    Well, my answer might show just what I do not know. I have solar on my house and understand that, but I know with an RV one is charging the batteries for use for various things. I just want to be able to be in a place where if I do not have an electrical hook up, I can survive for a number of days (1-3 weeks) without worry of running out of power. Whether this be boondocking or just in a nice National or State park. So, I want to be able to run everything off the charge the batteries gain from the panels without fear that at any moment we will lose power. (I know one must still watch their power use, which I already do in my house, so that is a habit I developed long ago.)

I notice from the photo with your avatar that you have a portable solar panel rigged up.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the first questions, all things are relative and depends on your risk tolerance.
    However, with our 310, IF I was going to add all the things you mention, then yes I'd upgrade the axles AND upgrade to disk breaks. If you're custom-ordering, I'd consider double-pane windows also. If you do this, also strongly recommend pulling with a DRW truck. I'd worry about my SRW truck with that extra weight.

Someone asked about dishwashers within the last few weeks and the consensus was overwhelmingly don't bother and keep your storage space. In the 310, it's the cabinet to the left of the sink, in the island, that has the dishwasher prep, so you'll lose that rather large cabinet for storage. That said, if you go this route, do a search through the forum for "reinforce kitchen island", to be safe. A few here have had issues with the island dropping down some.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to keep in mind is that all of the options you mentioned (dual pane, w/d, gen, etc.) will add weight. Our UVW without the W/D installed and empty propane was 13,114 lbs. With the W/D we would have been only 1500lbs or so away from GVWR. Our CAT weights have been over 15500 for each trip and that is with empty gray and black tanks. It adds up fast.

We ordered the 8K axles for two reasons - bumped the GVWR of the 310-R to 18,000lbs and gave me disc brakes which I would not want to be without. If you are ordering, I would recommend ordering the 8K axles with discs and insure that the dealer requests the 18K GVWR or Grand Design might still sticker it with 15K. We initially did not but dealer was able to update the order before the 310 was built. Well worth it.

We have used everything we factory ordered and so far very happy with the results.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcurrie100 View Post
    Well, my answer might show just what I do not know. I have solar on my house and understand that, but I know with an RV one is charging the batteries for use for various things. I just want to be able to be in a place where if I do not have an electrical hook up, I can survive for a number of days (1-3 weeks) without worry of running out of power. Whether this be boondocking or just in a nice National or State park. So, I want to be able to run everything off the charge the batteries gain from the panels without fear that at any moment we will lose power. (I know one must still watch their power use, which I already do in my house, so that is a habit I developed long ago.)

I notice from the photo with your avatar that you have a portable solar panel rigged up.
    You might start with a power budget to help you size a system. Add up the daily use of all of the power users in the coach and multiply that by the amount of time you want to be able to go without hookups. You don't say where you usually camp, but if there are a lot of trees you'll want portable panels in addition to any rooftop ones. Here in New England, most of the places we like to go that are off-grid have some trees, so yes, I do have portable solar as part of the solution. With the variable amount of solar we have, I wanted to be sure that we could go for several days with no solar. We have an 800 Ah battery bank consisting of 4 200 Ah LiFePo4 batteries wired in parallel with a bus bar system. That gives us enough capacity to last for at least four days even without any solar. Our biggest power draw comes from the 12-volt frig which has performed well for us but needs about 100 Ah per day. We also have a 3,000-watt inverter to power our AC appliances.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S