User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch For IS Installation Trouble.

If you got an IS (Independent Suspension) installed lately look for this issue....

The tabs that were welded on (not sure of their purpose) could interfere with the suspension movement causing the brake caliper mounting bracket to impact the tab(s) and break the mounting bracket.

A friend told me he had this issue and allowed me to post the photo below showing what happened to him. You can see in the photo the tab had been hit a few times finally breaking the caliper mounting bracket. It wasn't an isolate incident (multiple brackets broke on his and another's rigs - a large Solitude and a Momentum).

I check my installation today (installed the same time these folks had theirs installed) and I have the same tabs. So far no interference but I will be cutting these tabs flush with the frame to avoid any possibility of interference. Ours were all installed on the same days and by different techs in October. I'll be looking at another friends rig which was done last June/July to see if his is the same.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RenderedImage.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	45359
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. What's the purpose of the tabs? What did Morryde say in response to this?
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Interesting. What's the purpose of the tabs? What did Morryde say in response to this?
    My guess is the tabs help align the steel beam MorRyd adds (just a guess tho). Don't know what MorRyde did or said to the individuals who experienced the problem.
    Larry KE4DMG

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    My guess is the tabs help align the steel beam MorRyd adds (just a guess tho). Don't know what MorRyde did or said to the individuals who experienced the problem.
    Getting mine done in April, will ask the questions about both recent noted issues mentioned, "coroplast cutting" and this new "tab" purpose.

Will report back on what I find out...
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somewhat discouraging to hear. Hope we hear from others on the forum who have had IS installed.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the crack above the tab? Is it the frame?
    Jim and Cal
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    Ram 3500 5.9

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Getting mine done in April, will ask the questions about both recent noted issues mentioned, "coroplast cutting" and this new "tab" purpose.

Just let them know not to mount those tabs near or above the caliper bracket and you should be OK. Although I am not sure why they have to poke out so far toward the tires.
    Larry KE4DMG

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post

Did you find out anything? KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    If you got an IS (Independent Suspension) installed lately look for this issue....

The tabs that were welded on (not sure of their purpose) could interfere with the suspension movement causing the brake caliper mounting bracket to impact the tab(s) and break the mounting bracket.

A friend told me he had this issue and allowed me to post the photo below showing what happened to him. You can see in the photo the tab had been hit a few times finally breaking the caliper mounting bracket. It wasn't an isolate incident (multiple brackets broke on his and another's rigs - a large Solitude and a Momentum).

I check my installation today (installed the same time these folks had theirs installed) and I have the same tabs. So far no interference but I will be cutting these tabs flush with the frame to avoid any possibility of interference. Ours were all installed on the same days and by different techs in October. I'll be looking at another friends rig which was done last June/July to see if his is the same.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RenderedImage.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	45359
    Hi Larry and everyone else

Our IS was installed June 27, 27 and 29th of 2022.
    I don't see the tabs on our 2018 374TH-R Solitude. Sounds like that's a good thing.

20230514_120207 by Ken Coen, on Flickr

KEN
    Last edited by orbiker; 05-14-2023 at 01:32 PM.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Did you find out anything? KEN
    Sorry for the late response... went on vacation after the install.

Apparently all of the trailers done while ours was there had the tabs on the top mounting IS square steel tube frame support that gets welded to the I-beam, including ours. From what I was told, it was for IS frame alignment purpose. Ours being a smaller Reflection 150 295RL, the tabs didnt even touch the side of the frame. However, It did look like there was plenty of room between the tabs and the IS arms/equipment to clear via up/down movement. Will see......

As for the cutting of the coroplast, they only cut off coroplast where the new IS square tube frame support was welded to the I-beam... no cross the belly cuts were made. The sides of the coroplast that was cut was then pushed/wedged up along the side of the new frame support and foamed/taped in place against the support. This offset my rear level sensor a little cause it pushed up the coroplast against the metal cross section sensor mount throwing off the origial set level. Easy fix on that one - just reset level.

Note: given the new IS frame support welded to the botton of the I-beam, it may make sense for a cut across the belly.. When cutting off the suspension hangers and welding on a new IS frame, future removal of the coroplast may be an issue. Cutting it cross wise may be easier to manipulate the coroplast for future maintenance purposes?

First impression: Will have to hook up the TV and ensure the brakes were bled right. Noticed on our short drive to our CG from there, that one brake seemed to engage sooner than the others. Apparently they may have rushed the bleed job - like others have also stated.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast