User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OpenVPN tunnel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, on a recent trip I tried to connect to my home VPN server while using a public WIFI system at a Texas State Park. It would not connect. I am now assuming that for some reason, some networks do not allow the use of tunnel VPN's. I'm going to keep sampling other public networks to see if this is a trend.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Well, on a recent trip I tried to connect to my home VPN server while using a public WIFI system at a Texas State Park. It would not connect. I am now assuming that for some reason, some networks do not allow the use of tunnel VPN's. I'm going to keep sampling other public networks to see if this is a trend.
    That is possible, they could be blocking UDP port 1194, which is a common OpenVPN UDP port.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For on-the-go users, check out Tailscale VPN. It's free for individual users and is a super intuitive, easy-to-setup, Wireguard (faster than OVPN) based system. You can set up multiple exit nodes (gateways from your private net to public). The Tailscale app is built into several GL-Inet routers, which are popular with us RVers.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    For on-the-go users, check out Tailscale VPN. It's free for individual users and is a super intuitive, easy-to-setup, Wireguard (faster than OVPN) based system. You can set up multiple exit nodes (gateways from your private net to public). The Tailscale app is built into several GL-Inet routers, which are popular with us RVers.
    Thanks so much for this! I've been looking for a free solution that allows me to access my workstation remotely that is on Starlink. Tailscale does it! My workstation is on Starlink, and my tablet, connected to my phone's hotspot, can connect via ssh and VNC! Awesome!
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Your assumption is correct. Also, If you are using your home IP Address to connect to your home VPN, verify if your home IP is still the same or if it has changed. If so, you can update the IP in your configuration file. I had this happen when I was out of town and not able to get the new IP (unless someone was home). I started using DDNS to resolve this issue.
    Les & Nel
    2019 Reflection 315 RLTS w/Dual Pane Windows; 2nd AC
    -- 7K Axles; 3500 lb Springs; MORRyde SRE-4000; Roadmaster Comfort Ride Shocks
    -- 400 Ah BB Lithium; 1590 watts solar; MultiPlus-II Inverter; Renogy 40A DC DC Charger

2016 RAM 2500 CC SB 4x4 Diesel
    -- Blue Ox SwayPro 20k/2k hitch; Timbren Rear Bump Stops

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    Thanks for this, I have an GL-iNet router. I don't see Tailscale VPN as an option. How would I get that activated?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Thanks for this, I have an GL-iNet router. I don't see Tailscale VPN as an option. How would I get that activated?
    https://docs.gl-inet.com/en/4/tutorials/tailscale/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is VERY common for public service(s) that are free to block the ability to create a tunnel (VPN) on their network. Or, if they dont block it, they rate limit it so much that it is not usable. They do this for a number of reasons, but the most popular reason is they want to see what is being used on their network so they an put a level of priority on what matters to the location. for example, if all they see are VPN tunnels, they have no idea how much netflix, Disney+, Hulu, ESPN etc is being streamed and is that what they want the majority of the bandwidth consumed by in the campground or location. There are other reasons too, but this one is key on the public side when trying to offer service to everyone.

From a networking perspective, there is not a rule that says you have to run your VPN on port # . You can configure this in many cases, and if you were to choose something that is not "well-known", you might have a better chance of cranking up your VPN while on the road. The VPN packets would be the same, which are "ESP" packets and again, many networks can rate limit those so be aware of that.

Not shocked about what has been posted on this thread. I see some crazy stuff on our travels to be honest. I work for Cisco, so there is no shortage of networking hacks in place to get around just about anything these days though

Good luck-
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Thanks so much for this! I've been looking for a free solution that allows me to access my workstation remotely that is on Starlink. Tailscale does it! My workstation is on Starlink, and my tablet, connected to my phone's hotspot, can connect via ssh and VNC! Awesome!
    Yeah, they're doing cool stuff. I'm an investor in them and met them at the RSA conference last week. Really dig what they're up to. That and they have probably the best documentation/educational materials on their website of any comparable Series A startup.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, now I see why I don't have it, I have the Opal model, and Tailscale is not supported on it. I'm not that familiar with VPN tunnels, the Opal does have the Wireguard VPN, would that work as well as the Tailscale?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast