Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OpenVPN tunnel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    OK, now I see why I don't have it, I have the Opal model, and Tailscale is not supported on it. I'm not that familiar with VPN tunnels, the Opal does have the Wireguard VPN, would that work as well as the Tailscale?
    No, in short they are similar technology.

WireGuard is point-to-point, between your home and your mobile device.

TailScale is multipoint-to-cloud. Essentially, you connect your home and mobile to their private cloud server via WireGuard-esque VPN service and it routes you to your devices, so, if you have a couple of devices that need to access your home device, all three connect to the TailScale cloud server on your own IP range, and connect to any of the devices as needed. TailScale supports many protocols as well.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    OK, now I see why I don't have it, I have the Opal model, and Tailscale is not supported on it. I'm not that familiar with VPN tunnels, the Opal does have the Wireguard VPN, would that work as well as the Tailscale?
    Not sure how nuts you wanna get with a $60 router, but you should be able to flash Golden Orb or the OpenWRT package for that router and load up Tailscale. I have a Beryl router myself and am thinking of doing the same. Just too lazy to go out and uncover the TT right now.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leselmore View Post
    Your assumption is correct. Also, If you are using your home IP Address to connect to your home VPN, verify if your home IP is still the same or if it has changed. If so, you can update the IP in your configuration file. I had this happen when I was out of town and not able to get the new IP (unless someone was home). I started using DDNS to resolve this issue.
    This is not the problem as Asus offers a free service to mimic a static I.P. address. When I could not access my server on the public WIFI I could still access it on cellular data.

I feel MoonShadow is probably right on their blocking a UDP port. This is not really a big deal for me. Just thought I had ran across a free lunch when needing privacy on a public network.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    Not sure how nuts you wanna get with a $60 router, but you should be able to flash Golden Orb or the OpenWRT package for that router and load up Tailscale. I have a Beryl router myself and am thinking of doing the same. Just too lazy to go out and uncover the TT right now.
    OK, that sounds like a project I should add to my "list".
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234