Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some guidance on wire runs

I'm planning on changing out my lead acid battery to a 200aH Lithium on a Imagine 17MKE. I would like to move the battery to the space below the murphy bed, behind the storage drawers inside the coach. I am new RVing but am fairly handy with tools.
    My question is how do I run the wires into the space I want to put the battery into. Where do I bring the wires from outside to inside? Do I have to drop the underbelly to do that?
    Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2021 Ford F‑150 XLT 3.5L V6 Hybrid 4WD SuperCrew Cab Factory Max tow package

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FL-Guy View Post
    I'm planning on changing out my lead acid battery to a 200aH Lithium on a Imagine 17MKE. I would like to move the battery to the space below the murphy bed, behind the storage drawers inside the coach. I am new RVing but am fairly handy with tools.
    My question is how do I run the wires into the space I want to put the battery into. Where do I bring the wires from outside to inside? Do I have to drop the underbelly to do that?
    OK, I'm not familiar with the 17MKE, but let me see if I understand you. Your current battery is in the battery box on your tongue, but you'd like to start using a 200-Amp Lithium battery inside the coach. I seem to remember some other threads on the forum that showed how Imagine owners did something similar, (try https://www.google.com/search?q=mygr...hrome&ie=UTF-8) but in theory you want to get the battery as close to where you're going to use the power as possible to avoid voltage drop. You may need to drill hole(s) to get your cables where they want to go but I wouldn't think that dropping the coroplast would be necessary.

If you give a few more details on your camping style and power needs, I'm sure there are many here on the forum that could help.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FL-Guy View Post
    When I did this in my previous trailer, I just ran new wire to the old location and pulled the existing positive line inside.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    OK, I'm not familiar with the 17MKE, but let me see if I understand you. Your current battery is in the battery box on your tongue, but you'd like to start using a 200-Amp Lithium battery inside the coach. I seem to remember some other threads on the forum that showed how Imagine owners did something similar, (try https://www.google.com/search?q=mygr...hrome&ie=UTF-8) but in theory you want to get the battery as close to where you're going to use the power as possible to avoid voltage drop. You may need to drill hole(s) to get your cables where they want to go but I wouldn't think that dropping the coroplast would be necessary.

If you give a few more details on your camping style and power needs, I'm sure there are many here on the forum that could help.
    Correct. I want to replace my battery and remove the box on the tongue to move the new battery inside. Once I get the wires inside somewhere like the passthrough I'll have no problem from there. I'm solar equipped from factory install on the 2023 17MKE. There are only 2 cables on the battery now that go to a junction box at the base of the tongue. Right now I'm good with what the camper came with as far as power needs. Just saw a good deal on a 200Ah lithium an like the idea of having the extra power if I decide to do overnight in Wally Mart or somewhere while traveling. My truck has a built in 7200W generator so not really worried about power if I need it.
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2021 Ford F‑150 XLT 3.5L V6 Hybrid 4WD SuperCrew Cab Factory Max tow package

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar with the 17MKE. On my 2400bh, I dropped coroplast and routed wires thru the existing hole in the frame that is behind the "docking station."

In the photo, you'll see my main battery wires coming from the left. They route to under the bed.

Empty lug on the bottom left is for 12V- connection to frame.

Bottom right is wiring and plumbing.

Obviously we have different trailers but hoping this helps a little. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220619_151223260.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	45429
    James and Dawn
    2019 F150 SCREW 3.5EB 6.5' - Haloview MC7109; Cooper AT3 LTX; Sumo Springs; ProPride WDH

2021 Imagine 2400BH - GY Endurance 225/75-15; MORryde CRE3000, HD shackles and wet bolts, X-factor crossmembers