User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing a 150 series trailer

This is not a post concerning truck towing capacity. I was just wondering if anyone is towing a GD 150 series 5th wheel trailer with 15" wheels with one of the newer 3/4 or 1 ton trucks? The reason I ask is it seems the newer trucks, both 2 and 4 wheel drive, set very high making keeping the trailer level an issue.

There have been posts where folks are accepting very little clearance between the trailer and the bed rails in order to get the trailer level, and this would concern me. I pull with an older 2 wheel drive truck which sets pretty low in the rear compared with late model diesel trucks, and I'm level with no room to spare.

On my previous trailer, I converted to 16" wheels and was able to both level the trailer while towing and still maintain a respectable distance between trailer and bed rail. Is this the solution on late model trucks?
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2022 F-350 pulling a 2023 150 Series 295RL with 15" wheels.

About 6" of clearance between the trailer and bed rails. No issues with this trailer or the previous 260RD.

With the 150 Series' short overhang, and the tailgate down there is only about 4-6" between it and the garage door. Still no issues but you need to be careful when maneuvering.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg  
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    This is not a post concerning truck towing capacity. I was just wondering if anyone is towing a GD 150 series 5th wheel trailer with 15" wheels with one of the newer 3/4 or 1 ton trucks? The reason I ask is it seems the newer trucks, both 2 and 4 wheel drive, set very high making keeping the trailer level an issue.

There have been posts where folks are accepting very little clearance between the trailer and the bed rails in order to get the trailer level, and this would concern me. I pull with an older 2 wheel drive truck which sets pretty low in the rear compared with late model diesel trucks, and I'm level with no room to spare.

On my previous trailer, I converted to 16" wheels and was able to both level the trailer while towing and still maintain a respectable distance between trailer and bed rail. Is this the solution on late model trucks?
    I have heard of some people lifting the trailer with blocks on the axles.
    https://www.trailerblocks.com/collections/blocks

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
    2022 F-350 pulling a 2023 150 Series 295RL with 15" wheels.

About 6" of clearance between the trailer and bed rails. No issues with this trailer or the previous 260RD.

With the 150 Series' short overhang, and the tailgate down there is only about 4-6" between it and the garage door. Still no issues but you need to be careful when maneuvering.
    Looks good. Is the Ford a 2 wheel drive? I've read of some folks removing spacers on the rear axles of Fords and effectively lowering them.

I have the same issue with my tailgate down.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @dryfly

It's a 4x4.

I wonder how much of a factor the hitch is?

I have the Curt A16. When I had the F-150 and the 260RD I had the legs attached to the middle position of the hitch body. This gave about 6" of clearance. When I moved to the F-350 I had to lower the legs to the bottom position in order to maintain the same 6" of clearance.

Also have the stock 18" wheels and 265/75R18 tires on the truck.
    Last edited by Castlerock; 03-18-2023 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Added truck tire size info
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
    @dryfly

It's a 4x4.

I wonder how much of a factor the hitch is?

I have the Curt A16. When I had the F-150 and the 260RD I had the legs attached to the middle position of the hitch body. This gave about 6" of clearance. When I moved to the F-350 I had to lower the legs to the bottom position in order to maintain the same 6" of clearance.

Also have the stock 18" wheels and 265/75R18 tires on the truck.
    I've never looked at the hitch being a factor unless the problem is the trailer setting too low in the front. Then you can adjust up. Problem when trying to adjust down is getting too close to truck bed rails with trailer overhang.

I had about 10" of clearance on my previous trailer and it was great. My Reflection has about 8" and I've never come real close to an issue, but do have to pay attention in some settings.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too considered changing to a “16 wheel, however, after inspecting the 4 stack leaf springs and giving the potential for failure in the 4 stack I changed to a 6 stack 4500 lb. leaf spring from etrailer adding almost an inch in trailer ride height with no effect on the overall height. Now with level tow and 7 inches between bed rails and fiver. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C714CE4B-91FF-4235-AE24-6B01BAB0C5B5.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	45441
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a data point......I have a 2022 GMC 3500 AT4 with 20" wheels/tires and tow a 2022 Reflection with 16" wheels/tires and use the B&W Companion hitch. My truck has a 2" lift from the factory and it tows level with 8"+ of space between the bed rails and the camper. My hitch is adjustable though so one can change the height of the fifth wheel hitch jaws.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221014_080513.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	45442
    Last edited by COGrandDes; 03-19-2023 at 08:03 AM.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a Reflection 150 278BH with a 2023 Silverado 2500HD 4x4. Trailer sits a bit nose high, about 2 inches, with 7 inches of space above the bed rails. FWIW, this is almost exactly the same as it was with my previous F-150.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast