Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about northerner traveling South in winter

Hi all, we have a Momentum 32G.

We winterize here in Northern Illinois in the off season, but lately we are looking into heading South for a trip in the winter.

The question I have is: do I winterize and then un-winterize when we get to our destination (or the 1st night's stay). Then re-winterize when we come home. I guess I'm mainly referring to the plumbing. Other things like batteries/tires, bug proofing, I can figure out.

I'm talking about leaving in mid-Jan, for somewhere warm for 2 - 3 weeks. Then returning again in Feb. So things will freeze before we leave and they will freeze after we get back.

Does anyone have a good process they would like to share?

thanks

Dale

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it’s below freezing during the day while your on the road you either must be winterized or run the furnace. On my rig, the furnace does not run while towing. Flame blows out. Also there are lots of other reasons not to run the furnace while towing. So. Best to wait until the daytime temps ae above freezing then de-winterize. And visa versa on the alway home. Some folks use a jug of antifreezes to flush the toilet while winterized. I’ve not tried this but seems like it should work.

If it’s above freezing during the day and only freezes at night while your camping. All is well, just run the furnace at night.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the response. That helps me to sort it out. It makes sense. I just wanted to check to make sure I didn't have a blind spot.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daleahoke View Post
    thanks for the response. That helps me to sort it out. It makes sense. I just wanted to check to make sure I didn't have a blind spot.
    @Daleahoke -

The folks above have given you the correct advice. If you have an on-demand water heater (not a tank type), you need to be particularly attentive to that to prevent freezing and cracking of the heat exchanger.

Here are a few forum tips:

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

3) You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve done this many times and several time in a given year as we camp every month year around. FlyStar is exactly right. Even if I leave on a trip thinking it will be warm enough on the return trip to skip rewinterizing, I still carry enough antifreeze to do so just in case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As snow birds, we keep the rig winterized until we get into the warmer climates. We generally bring dry goods, and stock up on the refrigerated items when we get closer to our destination. You may want to consider a motel or two for the night as you travel south.
    From tent to toy hauler
    2017 RAM 3500
    2019 Jayco 212BQW
    2024 Momentum MAV27

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We head to florida from Ohio for a month every February. We parking lot surf the first night, leave after work the departure day, and will dewinterize our trailer the second night usually in georgia or south carolina the second night.

I would rather not risk an expensive repair till I get far enough south to guarantee no hard freeze. Same thing going back north, we will usually winterize near Columbia SC and flush the toilet with antifreeze the rest of the trip, which is usually one overnight.
    GMC 2500 HD Gas
    GD Imagine XLS22 MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to revisit this thread because I forgot to ask this question the first time around: What do you do about sanitizing the system, or do not worry about that since it is only winterized for a few month?
    Rock Island, IL
    ** Retired **
    2022 Momentum 23G (Toy Hauler)
    prior: Forest River Wolf Pup

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daleahoke View Post
    I wanted to revisit this thread because I forgot to ask this question the first time around: What do you do about sanitizing the system, or do not worry about that since it is only winterized for a few month?
    Sanitizing is only to kill potential microbes in the plumbing, it has nothing to do with winterizing.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    Sanitizing is only to kill potential microbes in the plumbing, it has nothing to do with winterizing.
    Right. It's just that I read that when you de-winterize in the spring you should also santize. I guess if you are only winterized for a few months, it probably doesn't need sanitizing.
    Rock Island, IL
    ** Retired **
    2022 Momentum 23G (Toy Hauler)
    prior: Forest River Wolf Pup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast