User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GM Half-ton Max Tow Package - Worth the upgrade?

Looking to see if anyone has experience owning a GM half-ton with the factory "max trailering" package. From the GM web site, the stated inclusions of note are "Heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR" and "9.76" rear axle". The only engine options are the 5.3L or 6.2L V8's, and either is geared at 3.42.

Stats with and without max trailering:
    GVWR 7300 vs. 7000
    Base curb weight: 5250 vs. 5070
    Payload 2050 vs. 1930
    RGAWR 4150 vs. 3800

Towing capacity and combined weight ratings are not a concern to me. I'd consider this package mainly for the increased RGAWR and heavier rear spring. I'm currently towing our 22MLE (runs about 5800 lbs loaded) with a 2017 Silverado 1500. It tows fine except like most standard half tons, it starts to ride low and get bouncy with much more in the bed than a couple of bags of groceries. And of course like most I bump up against the payload and RGAWR before anything else. All of the videos I have seen with guys towing anything on the newer 2022-23 GMs, including GMs own promotional video for towing with the 2.7L turbo-I4, show the trucks riding very low. In my current truck, I added some helper coil springs in the back (it's a coil over shock), and then there are the roadmaster springs and air bags etc. I just don't like the idea of buying a new truck and then having to go to the aftermarket add-ons right away. The downside of the max tow package is that dealers never stock them, which means factory order, which in today's world still means wait until they have the parts to make it, and then pay window sticker.

IMO, the 22MLE is firmly in half-ton territory, and I have no intention to tow anything bigger or go to a 3/4 ton truck. The half-ton max tow package seems to have some real meat in it and not just playing dress-up, since it adds 180lbs to the curb weight. Does anyone have the max tow and is there a noticeable performance difference, particularly for a level and composed ride while towing? Thanks.
    Last edited by Harvestmoon; 03-19-2023 at 08:39 PM. Reason: typo
    2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depends on what you plan to tow. Towing capacity is not the same as payload and 120 lbs. net gain on payload doesn't seem like a lot to me.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I owned two of those max tow GM Silverado’s in a row. 6.2 liter gas. Used them to tow my 30’ Airstream @ 8000 lbs. it worked great. I thought. Plenty of power and all within weight specs. However it had a bit of porposing sometimes and a bit of “pushing” going down mountains. It was safe but. Now that I’ve experienced a Duramax 2500 with this bigger rig. I would have been much happier with this bigger truck even with the lighter Airstream. I’m sold on the 2500 size truck for the enhanced feeling of safety and stability. It’s not just a “feeling” but it’s hard to describe exactly. Much less / no porposing is one thing. Much less / no pushing going downhill or when semis go by. And I’m sold on the diesel for going down mountains. So much so that I would get a used Duramax 2500 instead of a new 1500 max tow if the budget was an issue.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    I owned two of those max tow GM Silverado’s in a row. 6.2 liter gas. Used them to tow my 30’ Airstream @ 8000 lbs. it worked great. I thought. Plenty of power and all within weight specs. However it had a bit of porposing sometimes and a bit of “pushing” going down mountains. It was safe but. Now that I’ve experienced a Duramax 2500 with this bigger rig. I would have been much happier with this bigger truck even with the lighter Airstream. I’m sold on the 2500 size truck for the enhanced feeling of safety and stability. It’s not just a “feeling” but it’s hard to describe exactly. Much less / no porposing is one thing. Much less / no pushing going downhill or when semis go by. And I’m sold on the diesel for going down mountains. So much so that I would get a used Duramax 2500 instead of a new 1500 max tow if the budget was an issue.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm mostly a flatland tower but want to be able to travel anywhere with confidence. Sounds like your 6.2Ls were like my 5.3L in that the effectiveness of engine braking is fairly minimal. It seems like the V8s should have better engine braking than they do. With my 22MLE only weighing in at 5800 lbs., I've not had any issues slowing it down, but then again I've not tackled any serious terrain with it yet. In what seems like a bit of irony, GM will no longer build the 3.0L Duramax in 2023 1500's with the max tow package.
    2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvestmoon View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm mostly a flatland tower but want to be able to travel anywhere with confidence. Sounds like your 6.2Ls were like my 5.3L in that the effectiveness of engine braking is fairly minimal. It seems like the V8s should have better engine braking than they do. With my 22MLE only weighing in at 5800 lbs., I've not had any issues slowing it down, but then again I've not tackled any serious terrain with it yet. In what seems like a bit of irony, GM will no longer build the 3.0L Duramax in 2023 1500's with the max tow package.
    If I were towing your rig...based on all the gas engines and diesel engines I've towed with---I would get the regular 6.6 Duramax or mini Duramax any day for the torque and most importantly the exhaust brake. Exhaust braking is where it's at when towing. Exhaust braking is so much more effective than engine braking from a gas engine. My friend has a new Chevy Silverado RST 1500 with the mini Duramax and is regularly towing 9-10K lbs in CO and it runs and works amazing. The truck is getting over 40 MPG empty and in the high 20s towing. My recommendation would be to look at that option before buying gas.....IMHO. My other friend is towing a 21' Lance dual axle camper with a similar Silverado with the mini-D and says it's amazing as well.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    The truck is getting over 40 MPG empty and in the high 20s towing. My recommendation would be to look at that option before buying gas…..IMHO.
    Ouch says the guy with a 6.6 Duramax and 9.x mpg…
    But my camper is too heavy, and I LOVE that 6.6 engine.
    @Harvestmoon , I’m on board with COGrandDes. I’ve towed with both. I’d get either the baby DMax in a half ton, or even more preferably go to 3/4 ton with the 6.6 DMax. The exhaust brake gives an added means of getting the combo slowed down in the mountains. When you need it, you will be really glad you have it. You can’t have “too much truck” when you get in a bad situation.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GM Half-ton Max Tow Package - Worth the upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    Ouch says the guy with a 6.6 Duramax and 9.x mpg…
    But my camper is too heavy, and I LOVE that 6.6 engine.
    @Harvestmoon , I’m on board with COGrandDes. I’ve towed with both. I’d get either the baby DMax in a half ton, or even more preferably go to 3/4 ton with the 6.6 DMax. The exhaust brake gives an added means of getting the combo slowed down in the mountains. When you need it, you will be really glad you have it. You can’t have “too much truck” when you get in a bad situation.
    It isn’t getting high 20s towing a travel trailer. I think that was a stretch
    A diesel in my case is too much truck
    I drive 10000 km a year. 6000 miles. That type of driving is not good for a diesel imo
    Last edited by NB Canada; 03-20-2023 at 09:11 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    It isn’t getting high 20s towing a travel trailer. I think that was a stretch
    A diesel in my case is too much truck
    I drive 10000 km a year. 6000 miles. That type of driving is not good for a diesel imo
    Your critical posts are always intriguing to me. How would you know what my friends are getting for fuel economy when towing? Do you have the mini-D-Max truck and combo that they have? And I have driven all my diesel trucks 6K miles per year and as I mechanic and car nut....it's fine! MY new 2022 GMC Sierra is one year old this month and it's got 6500 miles on it. What is the so-called issue with 6K miles per year? I would love to hear.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    If I were towing your rig...based on all the gas engines and diesel engines I've towed with---I would get the regular 6.6 Duramax or mini Duramax any day for the torque and most importantly the exhaust brake. Exhaust braking is where it's at when towing. Exhaust braking is so much more effective than engine braking from a gas engine. My friend has a new Chevy Silverado RST 1500 with the mini Duramax and is regularly towing 9-10K lbs in CO and it runs and works amazing. The truck is getting over 40 MPG empty and in the high 20s towing. My recommendation would be to look at that option before buying gas.....IMHO. My other friend is towing a 21' Lance dual axle camper with a similar Silverado with the mini-D and says it's amazing as well.
    Any idea what the payload capacity is on your friend's Silverado? Just curious, since the diesel engine would be heavier, and it's still a half ton truck. I'd love a truck that got close to 40mpg empty, but it's obviously going to be very limited on what it can tow.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does that package come with anything else? Towing mirrors? Additional cooling? Beefier alternator? Bigger battery? I know these things used to be part of the half ton tow packages over the years.

I imagine GM isn't building the 3.0L DMax with heavy trailering capabilities for the same reason Ford limits HDPP to more basic trim levels. They're trying to force us all to buy behemoths.

On the engine braking, are you shifting it manually? I camp in the mountains with my GM 5.3L and 2600RB. I can come down I-17 near Black Canyon City in AZ, or down from the Payson AZ area without touching the brakes. These are 6% grades running about 60 MPH.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast