User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    Here I quoted you.

So the list I found in 2022 1/2 pickup states "When towing a trailer, the combined weight of the vehicle, vehicle contents, trailer, and trailer contents must be below all of the maximum weight ratings for the vehicle, including:"
    "
    Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR)
    . Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)
    . Maximum Trailer Weight Rating
    .Maximum Trailer Tongue Weight Rating .
    Gross Axle Weight Rating-Rear (GAWR-RR)"

They keep referring to the door sticker fo rRatings Now since the manual list
    Maximum Trailer Tongue Weight RATING . as a rating along with GVWR and GCWR and etc in the same list which ones on this list do you ignore go by? Why would only pick certain ones and ignore others?

The maximum TW rating and GCWR is just the result of a formula based on power trains so imo it is unimportant and I would ignore it
    Like I said above as long as payload and rear axle weights are not exceeded ship it
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    The maximum TW rating and GCWR is just the result of a formula based on power trains so imo it is unimportant and I would ignore it
    Like I said above as long as payload and rear axle weights are not exceeded ship it

GCWR is also based on braking performance also probably more so than power train. So you choose which manufactures spec to follow and ignore others.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GM Half-ton Max Tow Package - Worth the upgrade?

GCWR is also based on braking performance also probably more so than power train. So you choose which manufactures spec to follow and ignore others.

Let me explain this to you
    A 1500 GM truck with a 2.7 has a gcwr of 14500 leaving a towing capacity of roughly 8900lbs making the TW “maximum” 890 lbs
    The exact same truck with the same brakes,axle,suspension,frame,cab style with a 5.3 has a gcwr of 15000 with roughly a 9400lb tow rating making the TW “maximum” 940lbs

What changed and why would a different TW matter?

The V6 version is even a bigger difference. Only a 12800 gcwr and tow capacity of 7600 making the TW “maximum” only 760 lbs. nothing is structurally different between all these trucks so why couldn’t the v6 version have a trailer with a TW of 900 lbs?
    Please explain it to me

And how is braking affected by TW?
    Last edited by NB Canada; 03-21-2023 at 06:41 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me explain this to you
    A 1500 GM truck with a 2.7 has a gcwr of 14500 leaving a towing capacity of roughly 8900lbs making the TW “maximum” 890 lbs
    The exact same truck with the same brakes,axle,suspension,frame,cab style with a 5.3 has a gcwr of 15000 with roughly a 9400lb tow rating making the TW “maximum” 940lbs

What changed and why would a different TW matter?

The V6 version is even a bigger difference. Only a 12800 gcwr and tow capacity of 7600 making the TW “maximum” only 760 lbs. nothing is structurally different between all these trucks so why couldn’t the v6 version have a trailer with a TW of 900 lbs?
    Please explain it to me

And how is braking affected by TW?
    They used the J2807 to set the GCWR and part of that is braking so you have to see the results of the test to see why there is a difference which I don't have. I not to guess without all the information like the results from J2807 testing.

Explain to me why GM decided to give a Manufacture MAX Tongue Rating of 950 pounds to a truck that has a 1911 Payload rating? Is it braking, suspension, or what? Since the Door Tags qoute J2897 did they find something during test that limits the MAX Tongue weight? Is the MAX Tongue a safety issue that J2807 uncovered? GM even says in the owner manual that " must be below all of the maximum weight ratings for the vehicle" and list Tongue weight as one those weight ratings, why would they do that?

I guess I will just have to believe what the manufacture states max safe limits of their vehicle and that the testing they did to arrive at those ratings since I have no way to dispute the engineer findings.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 03-21-2023 at 07:25 AM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GM Half-ton Max Tow Package - Worth the upgrade?

I would guess they used the J2807 to set the GCWR and part of that is braking so you have to see the results of the test to see why there is a difference which I don't have.

Explain to me why GM decided to give a Manufacture MAX Tongue Rating of 950 pounds to a truck that has a 1911 Payload rating? Is it braking, suspension, or what? Since the Door Tags qoute J2897 did they find something during test that limits the MAX Tongue weight? Is the MAX Tongue a safety issue that J2807 uncovered? GM even says in the owner manual that " must be below all of the maximum weight ratings for the vehicle" and list Tongue weight as one those weight ratings, why would they do that?

I guess I will just have to believe what the manufacture states max limits of their vehicle and that the testing they did to arrive at those ratings since I have not way to dispute the engineer findings.
    You do what you feel comfortable with. I have no idea why they post a 10 percent maximum based SOLELY on towing capacity like I said it would not be a concern of mine because there is zero logic behind it. My only guess is a legal or classification guidance because it definitely is not a structural or engineering decision

And I don’t believe the gcwr has anything to do with “braking”. The example I gave is proof of that
    GMC 1500 Sierra’s all have the same brakes but can have different GCWR

Just because an entity tells me something I don’t just jump onboard
    The plandemic proved that

Good luck. Happy camping
    Last edited by NB Canada; 03-21-2023 at 07:21 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do what you feel comfortable with. I have no idea why they post a 10 percent maximum based SOLELY on towing capacity like I said it would not be a concern of mine because there is zero logic behind it. My only guess is a legal or classification guidance because it definitely is not a structural or engineering decision

And I don’t believe the gcwr has anything to do with “braking”. The example I gave is proof of that
    GMC 1500 Sierra’s all have the same brakes but can have different GCWR

Just because an entity tells me something I don’t just jump onboard
    The plandemic proved that

Good luck. Happy camping
    SAE J2807 is engineer standard and is part of the SAE and is definitely an engineering standard. You need to read the J2807 there is an entire section on braking performance and there is a section on powertrain and even how stable it is. Why do they use 10% is because they had to use a percentage that everyone testing against and they selected 10% but the fact remains that 950 tongue is MAX and come from J2807 testing. So if the percentage is 10% or 15% the 950 pound tongue ratings still apply.

Edit - You do know that SAE stands for Society Automotive Engineers and they set those standards.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 03-21-2023 at 07:45 AM.
    Dennis & Ellie

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SAE J2807 is engineer standard and is part of the SAE and is definitely an engineering standard. You need to read the J2807 there is an entire section on braking performance and there is a section on powertrain and even how stable it is. Why do they use 10% is because they had to use a percentage that everyone testing against and they selected 10% but the fact remains that 950 tongue is MAX and come from J2807 testing. So if the percentage is 10% or 15% the 950 pound tongue ratings still apply.
    LOL
    I am not reading anything because I don’t care

Let me try one more breakdown you might understand

2 trucks with figures from GM tow guide
    First truck GMC Sierra crew 2wd with the 2.7
    Gcwr 14500. Payload capacity 2060. Max tow 9100 making max tongue 910

Second truck GMC Sierra crew 2wd with the 5.3
    Gcwr 15000. Payload capacity 2060 max tow is 9700 making max tongue 970

So what “engineering” issue makes the 60 lb difference?
    They can have the same payload right?

If I put 970 lbs of tongue weight on the truck with the 2.7 how would it be affected?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL
    I am not reading anything because I don’t care

Let me try one more breakdown you might understand

2 trucks with figures from GM tow guide
    First truck GMC Sierra crew 2wd with the 2.7
    Gcwr 14500. Payload capacity 2060. Max tow 9100 making max tongue 910

Second truck GMC Sierra crew 2wd with the 5.3
    Gcwr 15000. Payload capacity 2060 max tow is 9700 making max tongue 970

So what “engineering” issue makes the 60 lb difference?
    They can have the same payload right?

If I put 970 lbs of tongue weight on the truck with the 2.7 how would it be affected?

I see we are not going around in circles and you trying to debate without the J2807 data they tested against and not knowing what they found during testing and unwelling to find out how they test. I will ended with this statement. The Society of Automotive Engineering (SAE) using the J2807 SAE standard in conjunction with the GMs engineering staff has determined the safe operation limits and have posted them on the 2022 door post. You can use common sense or try to justify it but you lacking the critical data collected during the J2807 testing and how they arrived at those numbers. OUT….
    Dennis & Ellie

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see we are not going around in circles and you trying to debate without the J2807 data they tested against and not knowing what they found during testing and unwelling to find out how they test. I will ended with this statement. The Society of Automotive Engineering (SAE) using the J2807 SAE standard in conjunction with the GMs engineering staff has determined the safe operation limits and have posted them on the 2022 door post. You can use common sense or try to justify it but you lacking the critical data collected during the J2807 testing and how they arrived at those numbers. OUT….
    One last post I promise
    Why are you not answering my questions though?

I can understand why not because there isn’t one and there is no reasoning behind it
    That again is why I wouldn’t follow it.

Gvwr(payload and curb) and axle ratings are what is important
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High 20s towing what? And over 40 empty? Maybe downhill with a tailwind

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast