Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 Ram 1500 5.7 4x4 Crew Cab w/Tow package and Imagine XLS 23LDE

Hi New Member here.

We take delivery of our new 23LDE next week.
    Looking at all I have read prior my tow rig look like it's a decent tow rig for the coach.
    I towed a 24' 2006 Jayco with 2006 Ford F150 and it worked well.
    Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Best,
    Crewdog135
    Kevin

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's all about payload - not towing capacity. Fully loaded, the trailer will put about 900 lbs. on the hitch. If your truck has that payload left over after you, your family and your stuff are loaded in the truck, you'll be OK. The best thing to do is load everyone in the truck (pets included), fill it up, and head for the nearest CAT scale. Subtract the weight you get at the scale (plus 100 lbs. for a WD hitch) from the GVWR on the truck's door sticker and you'll know what you have left over. Here are some resources for you:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

(There are also many threads on the forum on this topic if your search.)

https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 Ram 1500 5.7 4x4 Crew Cab w/Tow package and Imagine XLS 23LDE

Any half ton can tow a trailer 24 feet and under imo. Your driving skills will determine how well your truck performs. You could likely be over payload numbers because you need to load the front of the trailer to increase TW into the 800-900 lb range for optimum towing. Some trucks are as low as 1000 lbs of payload left because of all the extra options vs a truck like mine that is base and has 1800 lbs payload left
    Since you already bought though I am unsure what advice you want at this point
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a '21 1500 2WD with the 5.7 eTourque, and pull the same trailer. Whad WD hitch are you using? I'm using a Blue Ox. So far, so good...

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using the Recurve R3

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We brought her home yesterday 1.25 hour drive from Salem Or to Vancouver WA. She towed just fine, so much better than our 06 23FB Jayco with a 06 F150. Got 11.5 Average MPG and I don't expect that number to do anything but fall with a hungry V8.
    Being realistic no grades and no load which will probably make it a different experience to some degree depending if we haul water for dry camping or not but still those trips are not far away from where we live.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on getting your new rig home safely. Yes, your fuel mileage will decrease. I get between 8.4-8.9 mpg, depending on winds and terrain, or a combo thereof.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    It's all about payload - not towing capacity. Fully loaded, the trailer will put about 900 lbs. on the hitch. If your truck has that payload left over after you, your family and your stuff are loaded in the truck, you'll be OK. The best thing to do is load everyone in the truck (pets included), fill it up, and head for the nearest CAT scale. Subtract the weight you get at the scale (plus 100 lbs. for a WD hitch) from the GVWR on the truck's door sticker and you'll know what you have left over. Here are some resources for you:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

(There are also many threads on the forum on this topic if your search.)

https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/

Rob
    Congrats on the the new rig.

I apologize, not trying to hijack this thread. The manufacturer states the hitch is at 524 lbs. I do not understand the math/reasoning to get to 800-900 lbs TW. Is this for front/rear axle balance?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That TT comes from the factory with only a (524 lbs) 9.4% TW dry. If the TT is loaded up to GVWR which is highly unlikely but if so them the TW needs to be between 699-1049 lbs. Split the difference at 12.5% is 874 lbs.
    Might be tough to add 350 lbs to the tongue.
    More likely it will weigh in around 6500 lbs loaded. 12.5% of 6500 lbs is 812 lbs. Still need to add 300 lbs to the tongue.
    The other issue is the 14" tires. Axles are the semi spread type which may offset the weaker 14" tires but still seems under sprung and tired for a 28' TT.
    Might be a handful towing with a 1/2 ton truck due to it's technicalities.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cnowland View Post
    Congrats on the the new rig.

I apologize, not trying to hijack this thread. The manufacturer states the hitch is at 524 lbs. I do not understand the math/reasoning to get to 800-900 lbs TW. Is this for front/rear axle balance?
    The manufacturer's numbers are for a completely empty/dry trailer. Actual hitch weights are driven by what you load on the trailer - your gear, propane, batteries, and anything else. You also need to consider the weight of a weight-distributing hitch (about 100 lbs.) in the payload numbers.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast