User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Moving from Jayco Greyhawk RV to a Grand Design -Seeking input on F150 towing numbers

This community is amazing!!!!

We are selling our Jayco Greyhawk class C and returning to a travel trailer. We are excited to join the Grand Design family. It opens up greater camping options when we travel to Montana in the summer.
    I currently have a 2018 F150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew 3.5 Ecoboost with the Max Tow Capacity package. I thought about upgrading to a 250, but I'm not ready to incur that cost this year, so I'm trying to figure out what Grand Design XLS is reasonable and safe to tow with an F150.

I'm looking at a 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE. It's a great fit for my son and two golden retrievers.

I've done some research and based on what I'm seeing from several calculators, I'll have 20% remaining top capacity with this RV behind my F150.
    I also plan on a good-quality load distribution hitch. I've towed a previous travel trailer with one (GVWR 4950) and didn't even notice it was back there.

2018 F150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew 3.5 Ecoboost numbers:
    Wheel Base 157”
    Rear axel - 3.55
    GVWR - 7,050
    GCWR - 16,000
    RGAWR - 3,800
    TVTW (empty scale weight) - 5,200
    Max Payload - 1661
    Max loaded trailer weight: 10,700
    Hitch Weight-Distributing Max.Trailer
    Capacity - 13,000
    Max. Tongue Load (HWR) - 1320

Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE numbers
    Dry Weight (lbs): 5325
    GVWR - 6995
    Hitch Weight (lbs): - 504

Based on these numbers and several tow calculators, it looks like I have 20% remaining in my total tow capacity and I will be under the truck payload with 400+ to work with.

Ford F150 XLT pulling the Grand Design (https://canitowthis.com/):
    Under payload (1640) by 586
    Acceptable GCVW. Combined weight = 14595. Under GCVWR by 1505

And this calculator from Keep Your Day Dream.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Towing Capacity Calculator F150 + Grand Design.pdf 
Views:	14 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	45443

I'm looking for input from F150 owners who are towing their Grand Design to get their input and experience before I finalize my purchase in the coming weeks. Thanks in advance for your insights.

I'm also looking for recommendations for the best weight distribution hitch to purchase for this type of rig setup. Thanks!!!
    Last edited by traveldawg; 03-19-2023 at 12:40 PM. Reason: released from moderation

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice weight calculation site.

Welcome to the forum.

As a new (first time) use your post got put into a holding bucket (moderation) because it had an attachment (and ultimately a URL link) so the moderators get to review it before releasing it to the forum members. It's just a safety check to keep bad people out.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is that 1661 number from?

Manual?
    Door sticker?
    Weigh scale?

Unless it is a weigh ticket number you can guarantee your actual payload is lower. How much?
    Only weighing it with everyone and everything that will be camping will answer the question

Now that trailer is imo within range of your truck. The posted tw though is unrealistic. It will and should be over 750 pounds when ready to camp. With the weight of the hitch and passengers,dogs,cargo I would guess you will be right at payload maybe under maybe over

Also “safe” is more than weights and capacities it involves the driver. Only you can determine the safety of your setup

Now the trailer. We have the slightly bigger sister to that model ,2400bh. We went this way because of the increased ceiling height and drastically larger outside storage. If you or any others in family are in the 6 foot plus range you may want to consider this
    That trailer also has a sink drain issue,discussed widely here and elsewhere, that is concerning

Good luck
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum @trek2ride, sounds like you've gone through a pretty thorough evaluation. Just one word of caution, the published tongue weight is going in most cases be well below the actual. The posted weight is for a dry camper, add propane and/or some water, and it will rise. Same with your gear. There are many on this forum who regularly weigh their rigs. It seems to hold that tongue weight will end up somewhere between 10% and 15% of GVWR, in your case 700 lbs or more.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ditto on the above. Assume your TW will be about 12% of the GVWR of the camper. While this will be a "fat" number, if you can still be at or under your truck payload using it, then all will be well.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)