User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    I drove to Alaska last August and used it to enter the first time, then did not coming back. I got scolded badly at the border and was told I had to use it any time I entered Canada (was going to make a few side trips to Haines, Stewart, Skagway etc). I tried to explain my lack of computer access - US phones not working, etc and was politely told it was my problem and next time choose a place to stop that had access, I left and entered Canada 4 times that trip. A bit of a pain figuring out when and where I would cross ahead of time, get access and find a way to print it out for the border crossing. I had no way to show it electronically at first.
    Is the Arrivecan App only to help SPEED up the declaration process? Cause from what I have read a US citizen only needs a valid US Passport or Enhanced State Drivers License to enter and then a declaration conversation with customs at the border.

According to the website Arrivecan is no longer required after October 2022, is this still correct?
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Is the Arrivecan App only to help SPEED up the declaration process? Cause from what I have read a US citizen only needs a valid US Passport or Enhanced State Drivers License to enter and then a declaration conversation with customs at the border.

According to the website Arrivecan is no longer required after October 2022, is this still correct?
    That's correct. As of Jan 31, 2023, it is only to speed up your customs and immigration declaration and only when arriving by air. It is not mandatory. Yet.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ArriveCan app is not required for entry into Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-serv...arrivecan.html

Currently, its only purpose is to let you fill out your customs declaration in advance and save 5 minutes at the kiosk.

If you're a Nexus member this option is not available and you still use the dedicated Nexus kiosk.
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve crossed the border many times over the years.

Don’t over think it and just bring your common sense to the border.

Bring your smile. Be polite and honestly answer their questions. Don’t try to be cute/funny.

Open all your windows on the drivers side - agents will ask.

Take off your sunglasses.

Bring your passport.

Bring your drivers license and vehicle’s papers.

If you have a pet, make sure they are up to date on vaccines and have those papers.

No guns or illegal weapons.

No bear/pepper spray.

No illegal drugs. This includes Cannabis. It may be legal here, but crossing the border with it either way is illegal.

Try to minimize the amount of food you have. Poultry is a bit touchy at the moment (avian flu), but you’re allowed personal consumption food under these sets of rules in the link below. Be sure to declare your food items. The worse that may happen is they confiscate the offending items and you’ll be required to throw them away.
    https://inspection.canada.ca/food-sa...630282362#tab1

Same with liquor -declare it if you have personal consumption in your trailer.

Don’t worry about the ArriveCan app - unless you’re planning on flying that rig into an airport! Lol!

Lots of diesel and DEF in southern Ontario…no issues there. The 401 stretch between Toronto and Detroit is the busiest highway in North America….LOTS. OF. TRUCKS.

Drive 65 on the four lane freeways (401,402,403 if you’re going to Michigan). Drive 55 on two lane highways. Drive 50 on country roads. Drive 30-35 on boulevards. You’ll be fine.

You may get 25-30% on the dollar, but gas is still cheaper in the US. Fill up before crossing the border!

Finally, enjoy your visit, and if you have the time…get off the freeways and enjoy the scenery!!
    Last edited by netshadoe; 03-20-2023 at 04:30 PM. Reason: I have a spelling problem! And a few other thought popped into my head!
    2021 Ram 1500 Sport, 5.7 HEMI, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2023 23LDE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curious, passports mentioned or state enhanced liscence? So either gets you across?
    Last edited by Jims94vmx; 03-21-2023 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Not finished thought
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    Curious, passports mentioned or state enhanced liscence? So either gets you across?
    Yes. You don’t need a passport
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    Would have a passport on you and your passengers if you have one, just encase.

Not sure if all US state EDLs are treated the same.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are PA residents and have neither. Wanted to double check. Thanks
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Thinking about a 'short-cut' through Ontario from Buffalo to Michigan and trying to collect information on what we can/can't should/shouldn't bring either direction. From what I've read so far, when crossing into Canada, leave refrig empty in the RV. Haven't found anything on the US CBP site that references restricted items yet - still looking. Start of a long trip from NH to ID so refrig was going to be pretty stocked, but doesn't look like vegetables/fruits/meats are a good idea? Plan was to stay at a HH winery in Ontario and head to Michigan but assuming limited alcoholic beverages to/from US/Canada?

If you have any good links or guidance, please let me know. Haven't been to Canada since 1990s and only needed a drivers license then. For such a short trip (prep for a longer Canadian venture later) may be worth an extra travel day to stay in the US?

Thanks,
    John
    As a Canadian we have crossed the the border many times with our trailer in tow. Touch wood, but we have never had an issue. Just be honest when they ask you questions.
    As others have stated, no guns or weapons coming into Canada. Food wise is fairly open as we bring lots back into Canada. Going into the US is way more restrictive we find from a food stand point and we don’t take much when going into the US.
    Check the websites for both US and Canada as items change regularly.
    There is a lot to see and do hear in Ontario as well as all of Canada so hopefully you can spend some time and enjoy our Canadian hospitality!
    Jay & Lorraine
    Ontario Canada
    2022 Reflection 337RLS
    2013 GMC 2500 Duramax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    You must use ArriveCAN for crossing any time you enter Canada - they get grumpy if you don't. https://www.canada.ca/en/border-serv...arrivecan.html

Be prepared for some strange questions. I have a Colorado CCW and they asked me directly if I was carrying (leave everything at home) so thier and the US systems must be linked somehow.

Bear spray is a no as well as personal pepper spray. Limits on liquor, no eggs, onions, peppers, garlic, etc.

Discover card is not really accepted. Visa and MasterCard. Tell you card company you will be going so the don't freeze the card and carry a backup from a separate bank.

US cell phones don't normally work and if you set up international roaming it can get very pricey (1$ a minute) I got a prepaid sim card good for a month with US and Canadian calling and good data for $45 (Walmart).

If you truck uses DEF carry a spare or two as I had difficulty finding it west of Edmonton.

Speed limits are lower there and enforced. Learn how to reset your dash to metric speeds and kilometers

Carry Canadian cash (banks can exchange). US funds were worth 25% more there when I went. Current rate is 1$ US = $1.37 Canadian

Lots of other little things. Had an issue at a gas station where the India attendants were disrespectful of my wife. Also I hate to say this but watch out for bad driving.

Hope this helps
    ArriveCAN has been optional since Oct 2022. Bear spray is allowed. US cellphones work fine in Canada, where there's service, just like in the US.
    Steve & Ann Ellis
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast